Cold weather food choices?

marielynn724

DIS Veteran
Planning a trip for late January and this will be my first time at Disney World during winter months. I'm looking for recommendations for cold-weather items, things like soup, chili, hot drinks, etc.

Les Halles in France does soup in a bread bowl that looks good.

Nudel gratin from Sommerfest (Germany) is also great cold weather fare. Steaming hot square of creamy, cheesy noodle casserole.

I saw some decadent looking chocolate at the Ganachery this past winter. Consider the Poutine at well from Daily Poutine. I know fries, gravy and cheese always warms me right up! Both are at Disney Springs.

Last edited:
Hopefully the weather isn't too chili (pun intended) for you but some thoughts on "comfort" food that I'd want if the temperature was cooler....

Jiko or Boma - They have amazing soups (carrot/ginger is my favorite) and lots of comforting entrees
The Plaza or Beaches and Cream - Love their tomato soup and grilled cheeses
Morimoto - Ramen
Il Mulino - Any pasta and of course red wine :drinking1
Rose & Crown - Shepherds Pie
Refreshment Port (Epcot) - Cheddar Cheese Soup

Gluhwein! It's especially good if you have a cold or sore throat. I had a really horrendous cold a few years ago and the gluhwein helped more than any cold medicine or cough drops ever has.

MK - Chicken Pot Pie (Columbia Harbor House)
Epcot - Cheddar Cheese Soup (Le Cellier)
HS - 50's Prime Time Cafe has many hearty dishes to warm you up if you are looking for a full meal.
Beaches and Cream - Tomato Soup w/ Grilled Cheese sandwich

Planning a trip for late January and this will be my first time at Disney World during winter months. I'm looking for recommendations for cold-weather items, things like soup, chili, hot drinks, etc.

This central Floridian loves the way you think! By that I mean, that you are thinking it will be "cold weather". :cutie: January surely can have (relatively speaking) cold weather, but the weather is usually very mild to slightly cool. The mornings might be chilly. Unless we get a cold front, it will be no more than a little chilly. You're smart to come prepared for cool weather, but don't forget your swimsuits, shorts and tees! Happy planning! :flower:

How is that Chicken Pot Pie? I've only ever had the broccoli salad and the tuna sandwich, and the lobster roll a few times (a bit heavy in the mayonnaise dept.)

It's actually very good one of my favorite quick service dishes at the MK. The lobster roll is indeed heavy in the mayo department. I believe they use a lot of mayo to help mask the taste of the quality of lobster that they use. A good quality lobster roll costs more than what Disney charges for theirs.

One close to freezing wet and dreary day after Christmas, we were walking around WS, looking for a bowl of soup and wandered into Katsuri Grill. Each of us had a hit the spot bowl of udon or ramen noodles, veggies, shrimp tempura and broth. We were able to forge ahead with renewed strength after that.

I agree with spicy food! We went to WDW during a rainy and cold week last December and after two days had to buy down jackets at Uniqlo because we were just so cold. I'd normally say "miserably cold", but we were still at my happy place, so just "cold". The food that hit the spot was at Frontera Grill. We also enjoyed eating indoors for lunch, Tusker House was perfect after waiting in the rain for an hour to go on FOP. Starbucks will also be your friend.

I'd recommend scouring the weather reports and bringing more cold weather gear than you think you need. We are from upstate NY (it snowed early today!) and were so cold because our cozy jackets were at home. We've now invested in layers (think tank top, long sleeve shirt, fleece, crushable down jacket, rain jacket, hat, scarf, and gloves, with running tights/long underwear and jeans) so that won't happen again and so we can peel off as needed. Standing in line is cold work!

PS: We are going at the end of January, too!

Last edited:
Thanks for all of these suggestions - there's a lot of things I never would have thought of! And LOL about the "cold" in Florida - even being from NJ I still can't take it if it's colder than 65 degrees haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!