Cold Weather Disney

Joe Brig

Mouseketeer
I have a trip planned in early December and the weather looks arctic, for Orlando, 40s at night and 60s during the day. I know the pools are heated but not sure it will be much fun getting out. I'm considering canceling the trip as we were looking forward to hanging out at the pools. Anyone have experience with Disney and cold weather?

I have a trip planned in early December and the weather looks arctic, for Orlando, 40s at night and 60s during the day. I know the pools are heated but not sure it will be much fun getting out. I'm considering canceling the trip as we were looking forward to hanging out at the pools. Anyone have experience with Disney and cold weather?
I’m from Maine, so my idea of swimming weather may be different than yours. I always go swimming in my Disney Resort leisure pool in January while watching the sun rise and listening to the birds start to sing. Those temps sound just fine.
I could never do parks in the heat.

We are packing our suits just in case the weather changes. Like Texas, apparently Florida weather can change. It’s a cold front and no one knows really how powerful it will be until it pushes out.

We are going to take shorts and jeans with layers.

More generally - not "pool" specific? More "Park when the sun goes down".
DW and I have found that a combination of a decent coated nylon rain parka, and a 300 weight fleece jacket, get us through the worst of conditions. This much (for two) may be carried in a really SMALL daypack.

We have used that combo, for a miserable, cold MVMCP - as others ran for the hills :). At 68? our internal temperature control could be better :).

I haven’t been to WDW with weather like that, but I have been to Disneyland Paris with weather like that. The key was wearing and packing layers when going to the park. I didn’t venture to the pools, but I’m a wimp and I don’t swim if it’s below 80 degrees outside even if the pool is heated.

We accidentally ended up at WDW during polar vortex, when we were huddled up in our winter coats (from Maryland) and people were freezing and the local weather people were having to explain frost warnings and windchill readings...and it ended up being an awesome trip in part because so few people were there! Yes, waiting for Fantasmic was brutal on those concrete benches, but we're ride people and had a blast. We're leaving this weekend and noticed the sudden temperature drop with eager anticipation because it makes the parks SO much more pleasant.

We were in WDW last December for our first Christmas season in FL & we absolutely froze. We're from Hawaii & even with layers, it was too cold & rainy for us. Makes me really sad because the Christmas decorations were SO SO SO beautiful & I would love to experience it again, but whew... our soaked shoes & wind chill were pretty rough on us & my mom wouldn't go again in December.

We went once ( in February ) when the high was 50 something during the day and low 40s at night. It was too cold for us to even look at the pool. But that's us. Now we make sure we go either in May or September to avoid the Florida 'cold'. ( P.S. - We're from Chicago so we know it's better than at home but we like hot. )

We were in WDW last December for our first Christmas season in FL & we absolutely froze. We're from Hawaii & even with layers, it was too cold & rainy for us. Makes me really sad because the Christmas decorations were SO SO SO beautiful & I would love to experience it again, but whew... our soaked shoes & wind chill were pretty rough on us & my mom wouldn't go again in December.
Well, that fills me with joy going next December!

We are from Michigan so 60 seems plenty warm (especially in the winter months). A few years ago we did a December vacation, my kids swam every evening despite the temp being in the low 50s. I did one night but opted to sit pool side after that first event. That said, our park days were very comfortable and we had an amazing time:)

Yes. In 2010, it was FREEZING when we went-a CM told us it was due to El Nino weather that year. We had our winter coats on the entire time and did not swim. I personally do not like going to Disney when it is cold because like you said, the pools are a huge part of the experience and relaxing part of the trip! With that being said, we still had a lot of fun and it didn't ruin our trip. Since it will be in the 60s during the day, that should still be fun (it was in the 40's during the day in 2010). Someone else can chime in though if you will be bored with new restrictions because we didn't want to be out in the parks at night when it was cold.

We live about 30 minutes west of the parks off of I-4 so our weather is nearly identical. December can be a weird month as far as weather. My best advice for someone would be to pack clothes so you can layer. Do pack a bathing suit as the pools are heated, 88 If I recall. I just checked the weather and the next week does look kind of cool during the day and chilly after the sun goes down. We're in the dry season now but we do get showers occasionally but nothing like summer so a poncho is in order.
I can count on one hand how many times I've worn long pants in the last 5 years, but my wife gets cold so different strokes. Be prepared and enjoy. By the time you get here the weather forecast could have changed drastically with 80's during the day and 60's at night. Right now it's 80 with 47% humidity.

There is a cold front coming through Florida early next week - Mon/Tues and will cause temps to drop into the 60's for highs and 40's for lows. Even here in SW Florida near the Everglades they are saying our high will be about 55-60 on Tuesday

We've been to WDW during colder weather (high mid-50's) and while the parks were doable if we bundled up and wore layers, there was no way we were getting in the pool. If the pool is your goal and that is the forecast, I would re-think the trip.

Sure do. Christmas, 2009. We took Amtrak down. Until then, we had always driven down. My mom, like the sorcerer she is, predicted that knowing our luck it'll probably snow up in NY. And boy, did it. It snowed 12/23 into 12/24. Flights were grounded, roads weren't drivable. We boarded Amtrak and of course being Amtrak we had to pack lighter.

Christmas in Florida - pack the shorts and t-shirts! We got down there and it was a mild 70 degrees and sunny. By the time we unpacked and went to dinner, the temp dropped into the 40s. We had the AC on in the room and I remember the cold air hitting us like a brick wall.

It didn't go above 50 the rest of the trip, and most nights were in the 30s. Back then you couldn't run to Uniqlo or Under Armour and buy a puffer jacket. Disney rolled out its overpriced sock hats and blankets and we had to just... deal.

We went back ever year from 09-18. I remember Christmas 2010 being half and half. We packed a little of everything. I had a broken foot at the time, so I couldn't walk or get my body temp up, so I had to pack some blankets and heavier clothes. Christmas '13 may have been the BEST weather. I remember because we were hit by Sandy that year and it felt like mother nature "owed" us.

Long story short - pack layers. I'd rather pack a sock hat and gloves and not use them then need them and not have it.

Also - pro tip: bring hand warmers. I have Raynaud's disease, so anything under 50 degrees means numb fingertips for me, but I always bring them and they come in use

Just realized you said you were considering canceling your trip. I can't tell you what to do on that front, but I wouldn't recommend it. The weather in Disney could turn on the dime. We've been to Disney when the temps were in the 80s and calling for high of 87 all week, then a cold front blows in overnight and it drops into the 50s or 60s. We've been when it was looking like it was gonna be chilly all trip, so we pack tons of layers, then we get there and it's 80 degrees and sunny the entire time.

The last few years we actually learned to not plan any FP+ selections for the afternoon. Because the weather swings so much (and we'd be staying at Beach Club), we wanted to make the most of pool days and not feel guilty skipping a FP+. So we'd book FP+ for early in the morning or in the evening and leave the afternoon open for those impromptu pool days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter