Coccyx / tailbone pain...which rides should I avoid?

nicolemoo

Earning My Ears
Bit of a weird one as only I can feel my pain.... but I have a problem with my coccyx and can't go on any rides that are really jerky - either that move me from side to side or bounce me up and down. As an example.... Going over a speed bump wonkily is agony, but going over it straight isnt too bad. (I hope that makes sense)

I'm imagining that some of the simulators wont be good and I think I'll give the water rides with a big drop a miss as you can slide forward on those. Also there's a rollercoaster that has lots of corners / turns in it (something whirl!?) I deffo wont be able to do that one!

If anyone can think of any others that I should definately avoid then please let me know and I would really appreciate it.

Only have a few seconds for a reply.

The roller coaster you are thinking of is Primeval Whirl - and, yes, that is one to avoid. It looks pretty tame from the ground, but flings you around pretty well.

For the rest, I am going to point you toward the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Itis located near the top of this board or you can follow the linkin my signature.
There is a post on page 2 of that thread that lists all the attractions with warnings, along with an explanation of the ride and a bit about how rough it is.

These are the ones that I can think of that bother my back:
Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Primeaval Whril, Dinosaur, Expidition Everest, Kilamanjaro Safari, Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Mission to Mars, Test Track

Quick reply before lunch finishes:

DEFINITELY avoid the Safari in AK - that will just be too much pain. If you want to see the animals without the ride, the two trails in AK, and walking around AKL should get you a nice close view of most of them.

Be warned that HM does go backwards for a while, so you're reclined with your back against the seat back. It's not jerky, but I don't know if this pressure on your back would cause problems.

Got to go, lunch is over! Have a great trip! :thumbsup2

I have pain sitting on a cushion due to extra tailbone curvature.

The only ride I had issue with in October was BTMRR. I could see the safari being an issue too, but we didn't ride that in October.

Sarah

I broke my tailbone about 14 years ago and STILL have pain sometimes from the motions you describe.

The two rides that stick out in my mind from WDW are Primeval Whirl, and Space Mountain in MK.

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I broke my tailbone when I was 10 and to this day it still gives me problems, especially with jerky motions.

Dinosaur and primeval whirl are the worst and I avoid them at all costs. The Safari I can tolerate on a good day, but I'm guessing my pain isn't as severe as yours. Most of the other rides to be cautious about are ones others have mentioned.

What I do want to say is that we usually schedule our arrival/departure on off times so I can find a seat on the bus. I can walk around all day and do most of the rides without pain but if I have to stand on the bus, the several minutes of the subtle adjustments used to balance while standing will throw my back out for days afterward. Sometimes it means waiting for the very last bus after the fireworks, or letting people go ahead of you, or missing rope drop (or the fireworks) but I'd rather do that then spend the rest of my vacation in pain or worse - in bed. The bus ride can cause me more pain than any of the rides. Just a thought for a touring plan!

I just found out I broke my tail bone and I'm in recovery at the moment. I'm not sure I'll be recovered in time for my trip this winter, and the thought occurred to me that I should take this into consideration when picking rides.

Would I be able to use a donut cushion on the rides or would that still be not enough to avoid any pain? Also, do they let you bring in foldable chairs or cushions to the parks? How is waiting in line for long periods of time with a broken/recovering coccyx?

Thanks in advance!

No to the foldable chairs. A small cushion that would fit in your bag might be acceptable. How about a gel pack (that is usually used as an ice pack) but don't freeze it? You could put that right under your tailbone on the rides that don't have a cushion seat.

I've found even TTA can aggravate my previously broken tailbone - there are jerks and bumps and the seats are very hard! Anything that can be a buffer between the seat and your tailbone would be helpful, I'd think. I've even sat on a folded sweatshirt for some rides!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!