Club runDisney

Although this is my third post on the subject in the last hour, one "positive" point is that, even if successful, the Club will have no real impact that I'm aware of on us folks who do not join. I'll be in the same coral, sign up on the first AP day, get the same bib and medal, etc. that I would have if the Club never existed. It is kinda, sort of, like Disney building a big new super expensive hotel that I will never stay at with my Pop budget; the Disney money grab for the Club may make them a few bucks, but not at my expense.

Last edited:
I am not sure this will sell as well as one may think. This isn't something for the parks. runDisney has a pretty core fanbase. I think if this was done right many would buy in but I haven't seen anyone say they will yet.

I'm not saying it will or won't sell, though I'm not going to be surprised if it does. My point was just that saying there's a ton of push back on social media doesn't mean anything as to whether or not it will sell.

There is nothing positive about this Club. A big miss by rD.

You get nothing of value at all. If the membership levels included something like one complimentary entry into one race for one weekend at Silver, two race weekends at Gold and three at Platinum, then they might have been onto something. Instead, you get nothing.

Or they could have set it up as a reward type system where you receive various perks based on the amount of rD races you have participated in.

This is a money grab pure and simple. No way a case can be made otherwise.

Although this is my third post on the subject in the last hour, one "positive" point is that, even if successful, the Club will have no real impact that I'm aware of on us folks who do not join. I'll be in the same coral, sign up on the first AP day, get the same bib and medal, etc. that I would have if the Club never existed. It is kinda, sort of, like Disney building a big new super expensive hotel that I will never stay at with my my Pop budget; the Disney money grab for the Club may make them a few bucks, but not at my expense.
Well it might for those in the lower corrals since this offers the ability to move up.

I'm not saying it will or won't sell, though I'm not going to be surprised if it does. My point was just that saying there's a ton of push back on social media doesn't mean anything as to whether or not it will sell.
We shall see. I first thought of course people will buy this cause Disney but I am not so sure right now.

Social media is ripping this news to shreds.. I haven’t seen a single positive comment, though that’s not to say there aren’t still people out there who would buy into this. I just can’t see this succeeding in its current form. And the “Upgraded” coral placement is just misguided and unsafe.

i'm in the camp of someone somewhere will buy it... that sucker just won't be me

ETA: wait wait wait so is it you have to pay for a bib on top of the club fee?

Well it might for those in the lower corrals since this offers the ability to move up.
My guess is that it will be like the United credit card holders who do not otherwise have status. United pushes the credit cards with the promise of early boarding but they are still behind the frequent flyers. So for runDisney (at least the HMs and M), they may put you in front of the first general no POT submitted coral (or if enough Club members a separate coral), but you would still be behind everyone who submitted a POT. That would help alleviate the valid safety/congestion issues that have been raised.

Social media is ripping this news to shreds.. I haven’t seen a single positive comment, though that’s not to say there aren’t still people out there who would buy into this. I just can’t see this succeeding in its current form. And the “Upgraded” coral placement is just misguided and unsafe.

After scrolling through Twitter I found one positive comment, and it was someone who said they couldn't wait to sign up for a platinum because of the corral placement, smh. Only one though

NYRR? Brooklyn Half sells out on day 1. Other have been selling out lately, but not quite runDisney speed.
Although rD races aren't selling out quite as fast as they were a few years ago...
Sorry, meant RD (although coincidentally, I AM planning on signing up for the Brooklyn half this year).

Didn’t the Runner's World deal/thingy rD offered a few years ago also include a preferential corral placement and shorter walk to the start? I seem to remember people ending up in B who had no business being there based on speed. I can’t see this ending any better.

Sorry, meant RD (although coincidentally, I AM planning on signing up for the Brooklyn half this year).

Well the Brooklyn Half sells out quick, so be ready.
I think rD eill occasionally sell out on day 1, but its not every eace like it used to be. I think Princess 5K sold out early this year, because my friend wasnt able to register. Not sure what else did.

HARD PASS! I am a big RunDisney fan. I bought into DVC because we love the races!!! But this upsets me! We buy into many of the hard ticketed events, I paid for the upgrade pre race package - but not this one! It’s loosing the sports feeling now. now it feels like it’s just about milking fans out of more money.:headache:

I’m not sure it really does, though. From what I’ve read, it will, at best, move runners up only as far as the first non-PoT corral, if I’m reading it correctly. Anyone who selects the fastest non-PoT requiring pace already has access to that corral, unless they start reserving it solely for club members.

Last edited:
I don't begrudge Disney offering premium experiences at premium prices like some people do about every little thing (early morning extras, that kind of stuff). But... This has such low value. Too many people are priced out and they're offering very, very little in return for high (or ridiculous) costs. Some 'club'.

re: Corral 'enhancement': The running community is great. Encouraging, supportive, inclusive. (Well... Distance running, anyways.) Disney has been an exemplar of all that, but here they are, finding a way to sow division. "Did you earn that bib, or did you buy it?" What were they thinking?

re: Early access to merchandise:... And this is where I blow my top. Here they are, acknowledging that merch is an issue. Access to top items is limited. So what do they do? Give me $800 and you'll get to the front of the line, skirting a problem we could solve for nothing, but choose not to. (Solution: Don't allow people without bibs into the official merch on the first day and/or Allow catalog purchasing for sold out items. Ebay trolls stay away. Everyone gets access. Easy peasy, even if the quality is in now in the toilet.)

To me, it's an indication that whatever financial issues rD is facing, they don't understand the underlying problems with the events themselves. The entire team needs to be shown the door, and an entirely new group brought in to rebuild from the ground up, willing to listen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!