Closed pools at end of August

roopster

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I’m looking at a trip to Hawaii from the 26th August to 2nd Sep. It’s our first visit and we are coming from the U.K, stopping at LA for a few days before and via San Francisco on the way back. It’s my wife and I, our kids (10 and 5) and my parents.

Those dates in Hawaii are pretty much set and we can rent points from the lovely owner we have rented from for Disney world the last two years at a great rate.

Do you think it’s worth staying somewhere else because of the following pool closures though:

• Waikolohe Stream
  • Tubestone Curl Waterslide
  • Menehune Bridge
  • Waikolohe Stream Whirlpool Spa
Our kids would have loved the stream and the older one the water slide. But since the dates can’t be changed, should we just stay somewhere else? And if so where do you recommend? Places like the Marriot are more expensive (the Four Seasons way more).

At Aulani, for 7 nights, two pool view studios will be £3,200, or a standard view two bed would be £3,650 ($4100 or $4700). I could try and rent at the Marriot via Redweek. There was nothing matching our dates but I guess a two bed would be around $3500, but with parking and resort fees on top it might be similar?

What do you guys think? And if it’s worth it, would you recommend two pool view studios or a standard view two bed?

Thanks for your help!

It could still be worth it. The main pool and waterslide and the kamaka grotto pools are still open at that time. If your trip was on October when the main pool is closed I would say no for sure!

Our kids were 8 and 10 when we went, and they really wanted to spend a lot of time in the ocean, with the free boogie boards, snorkeling etc. They did spend time in all the pools and the lazy river, but those things that are closed would not have made me cancel my trip or move resorts. The pool areas are massive, and there is a lot to do on the beach and in the ocean which we don’t get here in landlocked Dallas, Texas. We go to a lot of pools here, so the ocean was a big draw for my kids. So I would go! We loved Aulani for so much more than the pools. The activities were beyond wonderful, the beach, the whole experience.

I haven’t been on the Aulani boards in a while, so this has surely been posted already, but when I went online to see just which pools were going to be closed for your dates, I saw this, which would help take the bite out maybe a little to get a resort credit.;

https://www.disneyaulani.com/about-aulani/pool-refurbishment-offer/

To comment on your other question, I personally would go with the 2 bedroom over the studios. We went with our 2 children and my parents, so basically your same party size. The 2 bedroom gave us the kitchen and washer/dryer (essential to me in Hawaii where clothes are getting sweaty, pool wet, beach wet, sandy etc) and the kids could sleep in the living room, giving the parents and grandparents some time after they went to bed to stay up in the two bedrooms. I liked cooking a few meals in the room (especially breakfast, but we did dinner a few nights) as we don’t like to eat out for a week straight. We had a rental car and went to the grocery store on the way in. I liked having the living room to relax in all together, as opposed to two totally separate rooms like 2 studios would have given. The 2 bedroom to me gives everyone their own space (my kids don’t like to share a bed, so it had a sofa bed and a twin sleeper chair in the living room, and that was perfect). With the 2 bedroom you will have 2 full baths like the 2 studios would give you, but also an extra 1/2 bath, which just makes getting everyone ready for the day or ready for bed much easier for us. Either way, I hope you have a great time!

It's a real bummer that all of that will be closed but, honestly, I would rather stay at Aulani with stuff closed than anywhere else. During our trip in May 2018 the main pool and one of the slides was closed for four of our five days, but there is so much else to do that it literally did not matter. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone! I’m trying to find out if we would get 2 x $50 resort credit with the two bedroom, like we would if we got the two studios, or of it will be $50 per night (it says ‘per room’!)

We spent the entire trip in the lazy river, hardly any time in pools. I wouldn't go if it was me and the lazy river was closed, but everyone travels for different reasons.

Per Aualani website:

August 19 to December 17, 2019 – Pardon Our Pixie Dust Offer: Get a $50 Resort Credit Per Room, Per Night*

Last edited:
We were bummed a bit when we got the email from Aulani, but we already booked flights so we are locked in for September. We use the lazy river every day, but we are fine if it is not in use. It is only one of the many activities at the resort. Our only concern is how much of the Aulani beauty will be lost with all the construction. Guess we will find out soon. We though about staying elsewhere and immediately realized we would rather stay at Aulani with some refurbishments going on than stay anywhere else.

I also vote for the 2 bedroom for your stay. Much better set up for your situation.

When we went, there was a daily resort credit as just a promotion they were running at Aulani. We had a 2 bedroom villa and got one resort credit per day.

Hi everyone,

I’m looking at a trip to Hawaii from the 26th August to 2nd Sep.

At Aulani, for 7 nights, two pool view studios will be £3,200, or a standard view two bed would be £3,650 ($4100 or $4700). I could try and rent at the Marriot via Redweek. There was nothing matching our dates but I guess a two bed would be around $3500, but with parking and resort fees on top it might be similar?

What do you guys think? And if it’s worth it, would you recommend two pool view studios or a standard view two bed?

Thanks for your help!

Marriott koolina has no resort fee. If you rent a week from an owner there is no self parking fee for one vehicle. If you want to use valet, it is $10 a day. But parking garage is available in each tower so not a very far walk. I would recommend a 2br as the kitchen, laundry facilities, living room, etc make it a lot more comfortable than just what a studio offers.

So so disappointed! Was planning Aulani for my 50th birthday for mid-late August. We are definitely pool people, so these closures aren't going to work for our planned trip. Just found great flights, logged in to book the resort and got the pop-up notice about the pools. Sigh...

So so disappointed! Was planning Aulani for my 50th birthday for mid-late August. We are definitely pool people, so these closures aren't going to work for our planned trip. Just found great flights, logged in to book the resort and got the pop-up notice about the pools. Sigh...

If you are planning for mid/late August, only the lazy river, tube slide and the one hot tub by the menehune bridge will be closed. The grotto pool, the main big pool and the adult pool will all be open along with the other hot tubs! And of course the beach! But if you had your heart set on the lazy river, I can see why you'd not want to go.

If you are planning for mid/late August, only the lazy river, tube slide and the one hot tub by the menehune bridge will be closed. The grotto pool, the main big pool and the adult pool will all be open along with the other hot tubs! And of course the beach! But if you had your heart set on the lazy river, I can see why you'd not want to go.
Lazy river is definitely where we'd spend all of our time. Next year....I will just wait another year to turn 50!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter