Clearwater, FL before our disney trip?

kandb

DIS Veteran
We are coming to Fl for 2 weeks, mid August. I booked a hotel in Clearwater Fl for 4 nights/5 days. We have never been there. After that we will be in Disney for 7 nights. I have been researching Clearwater and it doesn't look like there is a lot to do in the area. We are a family of 5, 2 adults, 2 15 year olds and a 9 year old. Has anyone been to Clearwater? Will we be bored for 5 days there? Anything in the area to do that the kids might like?

We are coming to Fl for 2 weeks, mid August. I booked a hotel in Clearwater Fl for 4 nights/5 days. We have never been there. After that we will be in Disney for 7 nights. I have been researching Clearwater and it doesn't look like there is a lot to do in the area. We are a family of 5, 2 adults, 2 15 year olds and a 9 year old. Has anyone been to Clearwater? Will we be bored for 5 days there? Anything in the area to do that the kids might like?

Take in a baseball game, the beach, Salvador Dali musuem, find a concert or play in Tampa Bay area, aquarium in Tampa or Clearwater, the zoo in Tampa...

It will probably be a slower pace than Disney. You may feel like you're just waiting for the Disney part of your trip. We have done it a couple times and enjoy it better when we did the beach after Disney instead of before.

Plenty to do in the greater Tampa/Clearwater area. We’ve done it before Disney, and I’d recommend doing Disney first and then Clearwater second, especially if you like the beach.

Thanks for the advice but I think Disney will be less crowded the week of the 20th as opposed to the week of the 13th, plus we are getting a great labor day special that I believe doesn't start til 8/15, so will have to do Disney the second week. We go to Disney every year and never go commando, so we will be relaxing at the YC and the GF as well. Glad there are things to do around the Clearwater/Tampa area.

Last edited:

My mother used to live in Clearwater Beach and we loved it down there. As far as getting bored, it's a beach, there are beach games to be played, hang gliding, lots of good food, the beach, a cute little town, the beach, in Tampa there is Busch Gardens, the beach. Plenty to do and did I mention there is a beach.

It is very near Tampa which offers plenty of options. Ideally you'd do it after Disney to just relax but as that isn't in the cards I'd just enjoy a lot of beach time and know you will be busy when it is over. I think Busch Gardens is great especially if everyone can meet the height requirements as most of their coasters are more intense than Disney.

I think you'll find enough to do for 4 nights. The aquarium is nice, Busch Gardens is nearby, the beach (of course) and there are some fun mini-golf courses!

We did Clearwater this past December... if your kids are into the Dolphin Tale movies or books then you MUST go to the Clearwater Marine Animal Hospital (or something like that) Its where the dolphin lives... she does not have a tail... its interesting, my 2 loved it there! The beach looked awesome but was too cold for us!

I lived in Clearwater for fifteen years, graduated, married and moved to the snow!!!! I would take a dolphin cruise, swim with the manatees(our girls favorite), parasailing, and Ybor City. Busch Gardens is a great park. Tarpon Springs is also a neat little place to walk around and a great place to take the dolphin cruise from. Every time we visit I go on groupon and find some great deals on the cruises. Your family could also rent a boat in Tarpon and spend the day cruising Tarpon. If your family likes pizza like mine, Country Village Pizza is a must!!!! The best pizza ever. Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter