Clearing bus seats for wheelchair/ecv?

I say this as someone who has family members that use canes, are going to get walkers, and barely walk at all (and all refuse to use anything with wheels and a seat), and who tend to sit in the restricted seating areas on buses.

If some of my relatives with those issues sit in the tie-down spot that says they MUST give up their seats, IMO, they must give up their spot. They chose to sit there, despite the signage. Therefore, they accepted the contract.

I wouldn't even sit in one of those spots to begin with. My cane-using family member has sat down wherever, and her more immediate family members have sat with her...my immediate family and I will stand or head to the back of the bus, not wanting to be part of the problem. IMO those family members should *expect* to be asked to move, because they sat under a sign clearly letting them know the expectations.

I would feel bad for the relatives with difficult walking, if asked to move from a tie-down spot, most definitely. But I still think that they should do so.

During our last trip to WDW, last September, we were on buses that had forward-facing seats *in the front*. I think there were only two total that we were on like that, but they existed, at least at that time.

Exact opposite of what the entire thread has been about.

Well, why? Why should there be a rule like that? If there's a large family or friends group, WHY should they be made to split up like that?

OH I'm sure my extended family members would feel that way...but of course if the cane-using one ever decides to use a wheelchair (never a scooter b/c her daughter was run over by one and scooters have been deemed evil by them), they would feel entirely opposite. Or if my MIL gives in and uses the wheelchair we are *going* to rent for her (she has heart disease and a valve problem, and an hour of shopping exhausts her), I'm sure the extended family members would be horrified to be split apart from us.

Now...knowing me and my immediate family...we are strong, independent people who can deal with half an hour away from each other, and would almost certainly *choose* to split up to be kind to the other people waiting. But why should we *have to*? Do you see what I'm saying?

I saw that happen once at the Nemo ride in *Disneyland* (which is weird b/c its queue was built very widely, just like TSMM which is mainstreamed). It worked beautifully. Never saw it happen again, though!

:hug::hug::hug:

I hope that on your next trip you won't give up your health and the right thing to do, in order to placate wrong and rude people. :hug::hug::hug:

Was it an old bus with a lift well may be Disney was testing out new seating options. I know the nova has a two seat begin the driver that face forward. I not sure I guest don't like seating behind the driver because they the ones on been on those get taking last.

bumbershoot said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

Anyway, there just isn't a valid reason why they need to allow a disabled guest to bring so many companions with them! Those others need to go to regular queue and this is where Disney is at fault. They need to set direct limits on companions unless it is only two adults and all the rest are minor aged children.

Well, why? Why should there be a rule like that? If there's a large family or friends group, WHY should they be made to split up like that?

OH I'm sure my extended family members would feel that way...but of course if the cane-using one ever decides to use a wheelchair (never a scooter b/c her daughter was run over by one and scooters have been deemed evil by them), they would feel entirely opposite. Or if my MIL gives in and uses the wheelchair we are *going* to rent for her (she has heart disease and a valve problem, and an hour of shopping exhausts her), I'm sure the extended family members would be horrified to be split apart from us.

Now...knowing me and my immediate family...we are strong, independent people who can deal with half an hour away from each other, and would almost certainly *choose* to split up to be kind to the other people waiting. But why should we *have to*? Do you see what I'm saying?

Well, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree then because I feel it is not reasonable nor fair to expect to take more than your immediate family with you! Sorry but that is how I feel. I take DH & DDs and we did take DD's friend with us when when she was travelling w/ us and we were LEGALLY responsible for her because she was a minor! But there is rampant abuse of people bringing 12 and 13 people on with them! C'mon that isn't fair to those in the queue, no wonder they complained! And the worse offenders yet were the ones at the resorts who would try and sneak on as 'added family members'. But I think the bus drivers got wise to this as now they always ask me specifically who is travelling with me? ;)

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

Okay, we will be traveling to WDW in October. DD (8) may have a wheelchair due to a broken leg (whether she is still in a cast or not by then, we may need the wc if she isn't up to all that walking). We will be getting on the buses at All Star Movie Resort. She does not have to stay in the wheelchair - dh can pick her up and carry her in if she can't walk in, and the wheelchair folds, so is there room for that normally? Is there a spot for folded wheelchairs/strollers in the buses? I'm just trying to envision how this will all work, and if we will be facing a longer bus wait time getting to and from the parks.

I don't have any Disney experience, minimal bus experiences, and wheelchairs are pretty new to us too!

Okay, we will be traveling to WDW in October. DD (8) may have a wheelchair due to a broken leg (whether she is still in a cast or not by then, we may need the wc if she isn't up to all that walking). We will be getting on the buses at All Star Movie Resort. She does not have to stay in the wheelchair - dh can pick her up and carry her in if she can't walk in, and the wheelchair folds, so is there room for that normally? Is there a spot for folded wheelchairs/strollers in the buses? I'm just trying to envision how this will all work, and if we will be facing a longer bus wait time getting to and from the parks.

I don't have any Disney experience, minimal bus experiences, and wheelchairs are pretty new to us too!

As long as you can fold the wheelchair and carry it on like a stroller (or ride the lift and then fold it), that will work well for your family. As a side note - an 8-year-old probably will not be comfortable to ride in a standard adult sized wheelchair all day for several days. You might want to look into rental of a youth chair or a special needs stroller which are more appropriate sized for her. Both can be folded for bus transportation.

Enjoy your vacation!

As long as you can fold the wheelchair and carry it on like a stroller (or ride the lift and then fold it), that will work well for your family. As a side note - an 8-year-old probably will not be comfortable to ride in a standard adult sized wheelchair all day for several days. You might want to look into rental of a youth chair or a special needs stroller which are more appropriate sized for her. Both can be folded for bus transportation.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you so much :) We are renting a child-size wheelchair for her currently, as she is in a full-leg cast and isn't allowed to do any weight bearing. I appreciate the tips!

Regarding holding the chair on the bus, yes that's an option, one I wish I had known about before the last couple days of that trip. It is SO much easier to just fold the chair and hold it like a stroller than it is to have it strapped down. I also liked that it takes up less space folded and held than it does strapped in place plus it left room for more mobility devices. I really liked knowing about this option. I think drivers were hesitant to mention it for fear of coming across as though they were telling us that we couldn't strap it down but I would have preferred to have been told earlier. That being said, will her leg stick out into the isle when seated? In a regular chair that's strapped down, she'll be allowed to stay in the chair with a seatbelt on. This might give her more room for her leg so that it doesn't get banged accidentally by other guests on the bus.

Have you discussed swimming with her doctor?

Thank you so much :) We are renting a child-size wheelchair for her currently, as she is in a full-leg cast and isn't allowed to do any weight bearing. I appreciate the tips!

the new low floor buses front doors are wide enough to bring a folded wheelchair through.

here a video of a kid being load on the gillig bus this driver did everything right plus it shows what you option would be if the wheelchair can't be folded. It at the mk bus stop where lots of the disers complained about but it shows the driver doing his job and loading them first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxDFPPnIFE&playnext=1&list=PLBB22426319F41335&feature=results_main

ttintagel said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

But there is rampant abuse of people bringing 12 and 13 people on with them!

"Rampant?" Really? Really?

Yes! Really! To the point that at least of 2 out of every 3 times we would board a bus it would happen. It was so bad the one trip we actually started keeping track because it became a "game" to us to see how many and how often. It was the worst leaving the resort going to the parks. And as I said before, it is no wonder others complained! And if the 'disabled' person and their party were there first or nearly first and the rest of their 'extended' party queued up as usual, they would not be separated on the way to the parks and other people would not be getting so upset (which I totally understand!)

Yes! Really! To the point that at least of 2 out of every 3 times we would board a bus it would happen. It was so bad the one trip we actually started keeping track because it became a "game" to us to see how many and how often. It was the worst leaving the resort going to the parks. And as I said before, it is no wonder others complained! And if the 'disabled' person and their party were there first or nearly first and the rest of their 'extended' party queued up as usual, they would not be separated on the way to the parks and other people would not be getting so upset (which I totally understand!)

I have NEVER encountered this in all the times I've been to WDW. I'm not saying it didn't happen---just that it isn't in my or any of my family's experience (and since several of them have Aspbergers and are very rule oriented, I know they would have mentioned it!)

I have NEVER encountered this in all the times I've been to WDW. I'm not saying it didn't happen---just that it isn't in my or any of my family's experience (and since several of them have Aspbergers and are very rule oriented, I know they would have mentioned it!)

I've never encountered it, either. To be "rampant," it would have to be something that every single person sees most of the time. And it's not.

Yes not every person but it enough for Disney to make new policy limiting the number of guest allowed through the back door to 5 plus the guest in the wheelchair. So total of six guest the rest just wait in the regular que.

Ps I never seen the sunset in toyko doesn't mean it dose not happen. What one riser might experience might he different then another. Just because you don't see it dose not mean it dose not happen.

Ps I never seen the sunset in toyko doesn't mean it dose not happen. What one riser might experience might he different then another. Just because you don't see it dose not mean it dose not happen.

That analogy only works if you've been to Tokyo (and were there during the time when sunset is said to have happened). Otherwise, it is like someone who had never been to WDW saying that they had never seen someone with an entourage get on a bus at WDW.

I have seen it happen once or twice, so I know that it happens (whether I'd call it rampant, I'm not sure). However, for WDW to make an effort to enforce the policy, either it happens often or the level of complaints when it does happen are long and loud.

That analogy only works if you've been to Tokyo (and were there during the time when sunset is said to have happened). Otherwise, it is like someone who had never been to WDW saying that they had never seen someone with an entourage get on a bus at WDW.

I have seen it happen once or twice, so I know that it happens (whether I'd call it rampant, I'm not sure). However, for WDW to make an effort to enforce the policy, either it happens often or the level of complaints when it does happen are long and loud.

i now i was agreeing that it happens all was saying is that disers that say they never saw it dose not mean it dose not happen. I am not sure either i call it rampant but it happens enough for guest to complain and for disney to see it. i still think the analogy works but that really dose not matter.

I'm sure it has happened a non-zero number of times, but the word "rampant" was the worst kind of hysterical, pearl-clutching hyperbole.

If I judged by my trip in 2011 I'd say rampant. Every bus, every time, entire large family groups (not just mom/dad/kids). It was to the point where it was very frustrating because it happened every time we took a bus. (shades of green buses as well as other Disney buses). I'm not here to debate the whys of it, or the rights and wrongs, but I'm just offering the observation that it did happen last year, and it happened a LOT.

If I judged by this past trip, I'd say nearly nonexistent. I saw one ECV at Shades and that was one couple, no other family. The other times we took Disney transport we saw maybe one or two ECVs on monorails and nothing else. The parks were so lacking in ECVs that I even commented on it in light of the experience we had last year. Never had interactions with wheel chairs.

So, perhaps it's a matter of when people are there and what they're seeing.

Well, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree then because I feel it is not reasonable nor fair to expect to take more than your immediate family with you! Sorry but that is how I feel. I take DH & DDs and we did take DD's friend with us when when she was travelling w/ us and we were LEGALLY responsible for her because she was a minor! But there is rampant abuse of people bringing 12 and 13 people on with them! C'mon that isn't fair to those in the queue, no wonder they complained! And the worse offenders yet were the ones at the resorts who would try and sneak on as 'added family members'. But I think the bus drivers got wise to this as now they always ask me specifically who is travelling with me? ;)

Had this happen to me. People will get on through the back door as if they are part of my party. I will tell the driver they are not with me and say that my husband is the only one with me if he is. Sometimes it is just me. Not adding any family.

If I judged by my trip in 2011 I'd say rampant. Every bus, every time, entire large family groups (not just mom/dad/kids). It was to the point where it was very frustrating because it happened every time we took a bus. (shades of green buses as well as other Disney buses). I'm not here to debate the whys of it, or the rights and wrongs, but I'm just offering the observation that it did happen last year, and it happened a LOT.

If I judged by this past trip, I'd say nearly nonexistent. I saw one ECV at Shades and that was one couple, no other family. The other times we took Disney transport we saw maybe one or two ECVs on monorails and nothing else. The parks were so lacking in ECVs that I even commented on it in light of the experience we had last year. Never had interactions with wheel chairs.

So, perhaps it's a matter of when people are there and what they're seeing.
That is what we experienced and I guess why it bothered me so was because out of the group of say 12 people, there were 2 kids!! So why couldn't they split up? It was pretty much ALL adults. Maybe it was the same couple of groups that we kept seeing over and over at our hotel. I don't know but it was pretty consistent. And I understand why others in the queue get frustrated and upset because as long as a disabled person gets there before the bus starts loading, they and their party are going to be loaded first. So say the queue is fairly full (but not enough to fill a bus entirely), the bus pulls up and is unloading and an ecv pulls up. That ecv is going to get loaded first (at least this is how it happens at POP) and the ecv's guests are going to get loaded first as well. So if they have a whole big group with them, they have basically just jumped the line. And people who may have originally have gotten seats may now have to stand because those others took seats that they should've had to queue up for. I'm really not trying to start any arguements but just stating my opinion and how I feel on the situation. I understand why people get upset.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter