Clearing bus seats for wheelchair/ecv?

Talking Hands said:
Not true at all. Once you are in the mainstream line unless you are actually the first in line you get shoved of to wait for a second bus because they have already started loading other people. You could be 3rd or 10th or X, it will not matter. On the other hand if a person is not in an ECV or WC is behind you they will be allowed to board the bus and go to the resort straight away. If the bus is full I have no problem waiting but if they can load others behind and they can be seated then I should be on that first bus. That is equal access.

Well your right on some points if your third they will load well should. They will not load you If the bus is full or the driver can't safely get to the back door. But yes their are drivers that go against policy not saying their all great.

But if the first bus dose not load you and leaves then the second bus should load you. If they don't then complain to their manager. I think Disney needs to look at a better que system and retraining their driver. I think Disney should add to the training is the driver in plain clothes must ride the system in a wheelchair so they know how it feels so they could give better service. Because I bet if a driver refused to load then they would never do that to any guest again.

Talking Hands said:
will believe it when I see it. In all my trips since they started this I have not experienced this. Am an AP holder and go about everu 2 months.

I hope you can go and never have a problem getting on a bus and be able to come back and say you had a good expernce with buses.

The current Disney policy is you have to go through the main que like everyone else. They load you first because it safer to do. But don't have to but it leads to some guest having to wait for another bus because the time they get to the front it full. But regular guest have to wait for another bus when it full to not everyone can get on the bus pulls up.

Just got back from 8 days at WDW, and this is not the policy at all. There are signs at each bus queue stating that a guest in a wheelchair or ECV is to wait on the side where the painted HC logo is, or the blue hanging sign on the queue chains, and the bus driver will come and assist. Everyone needing the ramp/lift waited in this area, and every bus driver loaded them first, as long as they were there before the bus started loading.

This happened at the resort (Pop Century) and at every park.

The sign also stated the number of guests who could get on with the disabled person - I think it said 5? When I go back in March, I'll take a picture of the signage.

Schmeck said:
Just got back from 8 days at WDW, and this is not the policy at all. There are signs at each bus queue stating that a guest in a wheelchair or ECV is to wait on the side where the painted HC logo is, or the blue hanging sign on the queue chains, and the bus driver will come and assist. Everyone needing the ramp/lift waited in this area, and every bus driver loaded them first, as long as they were there before the bus started loading.

The sign also stated the number of guests who could get on with the disabled person - I think it said 5? When I go back in March, I'll take a picture of the signage.

The que policy was only at the park I am glad to hear they changed it the last I heard was it was all guest had to go though the main que. thanks do the update. The resort was not the problem because most don't have a que you just line up and the driver could see you their most of the time load you. The signs at resort say six guest total so one guest in wheelchair and five other members.

Schmeck said:

Did they have signs posted at each park que letting you know what to do.

Did they have signs posted at each park que letting you know what to do.

I know I saw the sign at Pop Century, but I didn't look for them at the parks - we returned to our room only when we were totally exhausted, soaking wet, or boiling hot (or all 3 at once!) Not too focused on signage then, but I did see the marked areas on the ground/chains, and saw people line up there and get assistance by the driver.

Schmeck said:
I know I saw the sign at Pop Century, but I didn't look for them at the parks - we returned to our room only when we were totally exhausted, soaking wet, or boiling hot (or all 3 at once!) Not too focused on signage then, but I did see the marked areas on the ground/chains, and saw people line up there and get assistance by the driver.

Yes at all the resorts they have the signs and boxes it the park that they need to put up better signage because Disney want guest to go one guest who use to going another way don't low about the new policy. When they came out with the que policy at the parks is when they came out with no more then six guest through the back door. But have not put signs up at the parks. They treat the resort and parks different because most of the complaint are at the parks and they put up better signage and better way to enter the bus. If it was not for park closing then they could think about getting rid of the ques.

I think a beer option might be but would require a cm at each stop at the park have rows of dot like row 1 and so on and may be ten deep and three row for guest needing the ramp/lift. SL when the bus pulls up the first three row get on being the wheelchair/ ECV rows then the rest get to load. But this option would require a cm to line them up and keep them in line but when it park closing it never work. Disney needs a change in leadership again and focus on making sure their system is operating at a higher standard and their drivers are following their rules and laws.

Schmeck said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by disney david

The current Disney policy is you have to go through the main que like everyone else. They load you first because it safer to do. But don't have to but it leads to some guest having to wait for another bus because the time they get to the front it full. But regular guest have to wait for another bus when it full to not everyone can get on the bus pulls up.

That sign must be very new because it was not there when I left POP on July 28. I think something like that is a great idea! It takes the Bus driver away from being 'the BAD guy'!! I'll be back at POP November 1 on a bounceback to celebrate DD's birthday so I will be able to see this for myself! YAY!

Now to clarify my experience regarding the queue specifically at MK at closing or near closing when it was a high volume time... the rule verbally stated by multiple CMs (and confirmed by higher ups @ transportation) was that WC/ECV were to enter the queue w/ everyone else BUT when you get to the last turn that takes you to the front row, there is a gated opening w/ a HC sign on it. we were to exit at that point and then wait in the 'normal' wc/ecv designated waiting/preloading area. So basically once you were in that front row you were getting on the next bus, you didn't need to be first person like these others were claiming they needed to be. Now I'm not saying that's not what happened to you/them or anything like that...but the CMs you were dealing with were not handling things according to the procedures to which I was advised by the higher ups. As soon as you hit that last turn they should have been pulling you from the line for loading, not taking you all the way to the front of the line where everybody loads onto the front of the bus. Seems like there needs to be ALOT of retraining and ALOT better communication. :)

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

stitchlovestink said:
That sign must be very new because it was not there when I left POP on July 28. I think something like that is a great idea! It takes the Bus driver away from being 'the BAD guy'!! I'll be back at POP November 1 on a bounceback to celebrate DD's birthday so I will be able to see this for myself! YAY!

Now to clarify my experience regarding the queue specifically at MK at closing or near closing when it was a high volume time... the rule verbally stated by multiple CMs (and confirmed by higher ups @ transportation) was that WC/ECV were to enter the queue w/ everyone else BUT when you get to the last turn that takes you to the front row, there is a gated opening w/ a HC sign on it. we were to exit at that point and then wait in the 'normal' wc/ecv designated waiting/preloading area. So basically once you were in that front row you were getting on the next bus, you didn't need to be first person like these others were claiming they needed to be. Now I'm not saying that's not what happened to you/them or anything like that...but the CMs you were dealing with were not handling things according to the procedures to which I was advised by the higher ups. As soon as you hit that last turn they should have been pulling you from the line for loading, not taking you all the way to the front of the line where everybody loads onto the front of the bus. Seems like there needs to be ALOT of retraining and ALOT better communication. :)

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

Well please wish your dd a early and very happy birthday and their no better place then Disney to celebrate.

They have put up the new signs at all the resorts last year when they rolled out the new policies. Now if they just put them at the parks at each stop may be they cut out the confusion.

Well please wish your dd a early and very happy birthday and their no better place then Disney to celebrate.

They have put up the new signs at all the resorts last year when they rolled out the new policies. Now if they just put them at the parks at each stop may be they cut out the confusion.

If anything I am more confused after this thread.:rotfl: I'll be down there with my mom (just the two of us) the first week of Sept. She'll be in an ECV. When leaving the parks, do we go straight to the blue handicapped sign like we used to or do we go through the queue where we get pulled out at some point?:confused3

If anything I am more confused after this thread.:rotfl: I'll be down there with my mom (just the two of us) the first week of Sept. She'll be in an ECV. When leaving the parks, do we go straight to the blue handicapped sign like we used to or do we go through the queue where we get pulled out at some point?:confused3

I never saw a person in an ECV in the regular bus queue, nor any signage saying they should get in the queue. People were queuing right at the blue sign. Not sure if this is WDW policy, but that's what they were doing. None of the bus drivers said anything (that I heard) about not being in the right spot.

Best thing was that all the bus drivers, except one, were very efficient about getting guests with ECVs and wheelchairs on the bus. Took less than 2 minutes from opening the back door to closing it and opening the front. I was very impressed! No one in the regular queue made a peep about the 'delay' (which was not a delay at all!) and there were no issues with stuck ramps or lifts.

We only encountered one lift bus the entire week. They are a bit slower to load, and seem harder to manuever an ECV in and get it tied down. That bus driver was a pro though, and still had us loading in front in less than 2 minutes.

Best thing was that all the bus drivers, except one, were very efficient about getting guests with ECVs and wheelchairs on the bus. Took less than 2 minutes from opening the back door to closing it and opening the front. I was very impressed!

Yeah, those guys and gals do a great job. That's why it always baffles me when I see people online complaining about waiting for wheelchairs and ECV's to load - it NEVER took more than a couple of minutes when I was there!

Schmeck said:
I never saw a person in an ECV in the regular bus queue, nor any signage saying they should get in the queue. People were queuing right at the blue sign. Not sure if this is WDW policy, but that's what they were doing. None of the bus drivers said anything (that I heard) about not being in the right spot.

Best thing was that all the bus drivers, except one, were very efficient about getting guests with ECVs and wheelchairs on the bus. Took less than 2 minutes from opening the back door to closing it and opening the front. I was very impressed! No one in the regular queue made a peep about the 'delay' (which was not a delay at all!) and there were no issues with stuck ramps or lifts.

We only encountered one lift bus the entire week. They are a bit slower to load, and seem harder to manuever an ECV in and get it tied down. That bus driver was a pro though, and still had us loading in front in less than 2 minutes.

The good thing is that their getting rid of the lift buses and tey should be on their last leg of replacement. Now they should be adding buses once the lift buses are gone. It funny alot of the driver are sad they getting rid of the rtts but happy bit to have to use the loft the older buses are higher and they was use to it being higher and not as wide as these new buses.

The more disney hear about good driver the more they will promote and keep them and get better drivers. So please complain about the bad driver but also let them know about the good drivers.

Yeah, those guys and gals do a great job. That's why it always baffles me when I see people online complaining about waiting for wheelchairs and ECV's to load - it NEVER took more than a couple of minutes when I was there!

This is unrelated to Disney, but I find that people get annoyed about the time it takes for the city buses in my city to kneel/lower. I swear it takes 5 seconds if I don't have to argue with the driver about it. I will never understand why people complain about stuff like that. It really isn't taking that much time out of their day.

This is unrelated to Disney, but I find that people get annoyed about the time it takes for the city buses in my city to kneel/lower. I swear it takes 5 seconds if I don't have to argue with the driver about it. I will never understand why people complain about stuff like that. It really isn't taking that much time out of their day.

:mic: that's nothing - you should hear the people complain at school as they're unloading wheelchair buses. We have a long driveway at school and (obviously) you can't pass the bus as it's stopped and unloading. Sometimes they have 2 or 3 kids on the same bus and so it does take a few minutes. But the way some of the parents talk it's taking HOURS. The mean spirited nature of what they're blabbing about is lost on them. So, it doesn't surprise me one bit that people complain about it. Not one little bit.

I would say your best bet will be to ask the transportation CMs what they want you to do. That is what I did. I was told at the busier closing times, I needed to queue up with everyone else and I would be pulled out at the end and trust me with the crowds leaving MK at night I don't know how they would have jumped that line?? If it was a short line, just go directly to the HC waiting area and wait there. That was the instructions given at all 4 parks. I never left any other park at night at closing time other than MK...so I can't say how they want you to queue up at closing time at the other parks. But I would just ask. I really think that it is the best bet that way you know what the 'current' policy is because who knows how it will change between now and then. :rotfl2:

I have seen cases where it has taken way too long EVEN IN MY OPINION to load a scooter!! And it wasn't the driver's fault!! Not often but it has happened. I've witnessed where there have been times where I have personally thought in my head that the person probably should be in a wheelchair and not driving a scooter because they just could not control it. It was very scary in my opinion. I would be concerned of the safety of those around them because they were not good at directing it, controling the speed, stopping, a bunch of factors...and truthfully, they could hurt someone. I have helped a few people load their scooters because they just didn't have the control needed and the driver wouldn't do and the family members didn't feel comfortable and people were getting antsy. Not trying to toot my own horn, but I often get complimented by the driver how quickly and efficently, I can maneuver mine into place. The drivers also notice right away though that mine is not a rental. I also had people comment to me this trip about that too...saying they wished other EVC users could do the same then they wouldn't mind so much. And maybe that is why the act a bit different...I don't know but maybe they figure if you own it, you really must need it... Not saying that people who rent them don't! Not saying that at all!!! I do think if people had to switch places maybe they might learn a tad more tolerance and patience! ;)

I think that you are right StitchlovesTink about it being those who have rented the scooter and have issues with being able to park it where people start complaining. If someone knows how to handle and park their scooter, then the whole process is very quick. It is when someone rents one for the first time and is not used to how it works where it takes much longer to load.

On our last trip, I even had a driver just ask me to pull up and get off the scooter once on board and he put it into the spot. This was on a empty bus! I had another which made it even easier to park the scooter move the front bar that holds the tie downs out of the way and then put it back into place after I parked it. That was just backing it straight up which was great. If all drivers did things like that to make it that much easier for all, everyone would have a easier time of parking and make everyone happier.

It is difficult to make a point when one states the actual truth of what happened - and the next person claims that your experience is impossible because they were there and it didn't happen to them.

When I state something - it is because it DID happen to me. Why would I make it up? Why would I lie? :confused3

I think things get out of hand when a person makes a statement of what DID happen, and the next poster(s) tell you that it is impossible. It makes no sense to post anything if we are not believed.

No, I did not steal the last chocolate chip cookie! :goodvibes

No offense intended to anyone, but frustration does come into the overall picture here. Thank you. :goodvibes

I still LOVE Disney & will visit often. I have an AP, and I won't let one bad experience ruin things for me. :thumbsup2

You know this is the very reason I switched our resort from POR to PORFQ because I didn't want them asking someone to move and PORR is picked up after PORFQ. At first the CM said they didn't have any openings but when I explained that I really felt bad if they asked someone to move for my ECV because I totally GET that those people have walked ALL day long. I get it, I remember it. Having said that I should with a little patience be able to board like everyone else. I have had to wait for a second bus because the one arrived had people or other ECVs in it and I have no problem. What usually happens is I wait at the HC spot and when the bus arrives they load my ECV and my SO then open the main doors for everyone else. It's really pretty fast and I remember only 1 bus driver that didn't act at least cordial. But maybe he was having a bad day.

So the reality is a disabled person without an ECV has to vacate a seat if someone with an ECV shows up (and the only seat open when they boarded was the one under the "must" sign). And since they have no visible disability no one "offers" them a seat (because they don't see the disability).

I say this as someone who has family members that use canes, are going to get walkers, and barely walk at all (and all refuse to use anything with wheels and a seat), and who tend to sit in the restricted seating areas on buses.

If some of my relatives with those issues sit in the tie-down spot that says they MUST give up their seats, IMO, they must give up their spot. They chose to sit there, despite the signage. Therefore, they accepted the contract.

I wouldn't even sit in one of those spots to begin with. My cane-using family member has sat down wherever, and her more immediate family members have sat with her...my immediate family and I will stand or head to the back of the bus, not wanting to be part of the problem. IMO those family members should *expect* to be asked to move, because they sat under a sign clearly letting them know the expectations.

I would feel bad for the relatives with difficult walking, if asked to move from a tie-down spot, most definitely. But I still think that they should do so.

I know they have forward facing seat ye in the back row and the back after the steps and yes on the nova their two right behind the driver seat your right. But where the tie downs and the front and back door their no forward facing seats on the lower level let say.

During our last trip to WDW, last September, we were on buses that had forward-facing seats *in the front*. I think there were only two total that we were on like that, but they existed, at least at that time.

We just returned from WDW and the handicap rider situations needs to be looked at.......many many people are taking advantage of the system. If you rent a wheelchair you get bumped ahead on rides and the bus.

Exact opposite of what the entire thread has been about.

Anyway, there just isn't a valid reason why they need to allow a disabled guest to bring so many companions with them! Those others need to go to the regular queue and this is where Disney is at fault. They need to set direct limits on companions unless it is only two adults and all the rest are minor aged children.

Well, why? Why should there be a rule like that? If there's a large family or friends group, WHY should they be made to split up like that?

OH I'm sure my extended family members would feel that way...but of course if the cane-using one ever decides to use a wheelchair (never a scooter b/c her daughter was run over by one and scooters have been deemed evil by them), they would feel entirely opposite. Or if my MIL gives in and uses the wheelchair we are *going* to rent for her (she has heart disease and a valve problem, and an hour of shopping exhausts her), I'm sure the extended family members would be horrified to be split apart from us.

Now...knowing me and my immediate family...we are strong, independent people who can deal with half an hour away from each other, and would almost certainly *choose* to split up to be kind to the other people waiting. But why should we *have to*? Do you see what I'm saying?

My DH had a great idea for rides. The guest in the ECV/wheelchair gets one of the tags that they give you to time how long you are in line and one of their party stands in line while the rest of the party doesn't have to, including the person in the wheelchair. Then when the family member with the tag gets to the front of line, their party all get on to the ride through the disabled line. that way, no-one feels taken advantage of, but the guest with the disablility does not have to wait in the heat.pixiedust:

I saw that happen once at the Nemo ride in *Disneyland* (which is weird b/c its queue was built very widely, just like TSMM which is mainstreamed). It worked beautifully. Never saw it happen again, though!

As I saw the situation, the entire mob of bus waiting individuals at MK were angrily yelling at anyone on an ECV to go to the back of the line. I did this so I wouldn't get anyone mad.

:hug::hug::hug:

I hope that on your next trip you won't give up your health and the right thing to do, in order to placate wrong and rude people. :hug::hug::hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!