Cleaning Disney Princess Costumes

arlloveslabs

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

We are headed back to Disney in eight days. Yay! :cheer2: Our daughter just turned three and pretty much wears her Disney princess costumes everyday. We are taking some and they need to be cleaned. I considered having them dry cleaned. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get them clean? They're the nice costumes; Cinderella, Sofia, Ariel, etc. that I don't want to ruin right before the trip.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how they packed the dresses, let me know. Garment bag or no? THANKS!

We have a $1.99 cleaner near us and that is where I took them. Then for packing I just left in the plastic and folded in half. Was great!

Hi my DD is 5 and we have had the same problem. The tags in her Disney Store dresses all say do not dry clean. I have always been afraid to wash them. Recently my niece was over to play and wearing my DD Anna costume and spilled chocolate milk all over the top of it. ( side note I was pretty pissed I had asked her not to eat or drink in the costume, the rule at our house, in front of her mom, my sis in law, and she gave her the drink any way. After her daughter spilled the drink all over the front of herself she just shrugged and said oh they aren't that much right? You can just pick up another one at Target. Um no!!) ok rant over. I didn't want to have to buy another 50 dollar dress so I turned it inside our put it on gentle cycle of washer and crossed my fingers. It came out beautifully and I hung it to dry. My DD got yogurt on her Sofia dress (why we now have the no eating/drinking rule) so I tried washing it same way. Stain came out dress looked great. I wouldn't try it with the super glittery dresses I think but worked on those two!

I take her costumes in a hanging garment bag for our trips. Keeps the glitter off the rest of our clothes!! Lol

Hope that helps

I was my girls dresses on delicate in a lingerie bag. Never had an issue. However some of the glitter comes off. Not enough to notice but I would washbthrm separate from other clothes and do a rinse cycle at the end

For trips I shove them in a gallon size zip lock and hang them on the otherside. No niticible wrinkles besides they get wrinkled as soon s we get going anyway

DD has amassed quite the collection of princess dresses and I've always washed them on the gentle cycle then hung them up to dry. All of them have come out beautiful, no missing gems or whatnot. The thought of taking them to my dry cleaner never even entered my mind.

I've heard that you can spray the glitter areas with hairspray to keep it from falling off.

My daughter's Elsa dress came in the mail from the Disney Store and it was dirty on the sheer neckline and arms. I used dawn dish soap and hand washed it to get it clean. I am scared though if I ever need to wash the whole thing because of all the glitter.

My DD (7) lived in a Disney Store Cinderella dress for almost a year until she couldn't squeeze into it anymore. She wasn't even 2 yet when she started insisting on wearing it every day. We put it in the washer many times, it always came out fine. It did lose some glitter that we would find, but even after a multitude of washes it still had plenty of glitter and the designs were all still there on the bottom of the skirt. If she's been around the house in it at all, you know they lose glitter anyway because you will probably find a trail of it everwhere she has sat. DD also had a ton of other Disney Store/ Disney parks dresses that she wore all the time between the ages of 2 and 5. We always washed them on the hand wash/gentle cycle and hung them up to dry and we've never had a problem with any of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter