Claustrophobia and waiting areas

WDWAurora

<font color=teal>I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'
Please be gentle. I’m not trying to break any rules or skip any lines, I promise. I have been to WDW over 50 times in my lifetime. I started going at age 3. I am claustrophobic, and this has gotten worse in recent years. I know my triggers, and I also know the parks well. Last time we went, one of the few places I really struggled was in the visa cardholder line in the launch bay. I realize now that I could have waited by the exit for my party to get through the line, then joined them as they walked up. For the places I know that I can’t handle the waiting area, should I get a DAS? (I believe that’s the acronym.). My husband and boys can wait, and then I can join them closer up if that is a possibility in the few areas I can’t handle. Most places I do ok bc I am so comfortable at Disney. (For example, at home I can’t sit in the inside of a booth with friends, but I can with my husband and kids. At enchanted tales, I’m comfortable with how the doors open, so it doesn’t bother me-or I can mitigate the anxiety.) I read the previous threads and wasn’t clear on if I could be accommodated this way.

A DAS doesn't give front of line access. It gives a return time so your whole party can return at a later time through the fastpass line. There is no real "alternative" waiting area.

It does shorten the amount of time you are in the line, but you will still be in the FP line. That can be anywhere from 5-20 minutes.

Please be gentle. I’m not trying to break any rules or skip any lines, I promise. I have been to WDW over 50 times in my lifetime. I started going at age 3. I am claustrophobic, and this has gotten worse in recent years. I know my triggers, and I also know the parks well. Last time we went, one of the few places I really struggled was in the visa cardholder line in the launch bay. I realize now that I could have waited by the exit for my party to get through the line, then joined them as they walked up. For the places I know that I can’t handle the waiting area, should I get a DAS? (I believe that’s the acronym.). My husband and boys can wait, and then I can join them closer up if that is a possibility in the few areas I can’t handle. Most places I do ok bc I am so comfortable at Disney. (For example, at home I can’t sit in the inside of a booth with friends, but I can with my husband and kids. At enchanted tales, I’m comfortable with how the doors open, so it doesn’t bother me-or I can mitigate the anxiety.) I read the previous threads and wasn’t clear on if I could be accommodated this way.
DAS will not help with Visa M&G I would talk to CM at beginning of line if you would be allowed to do what you want and why. it will depend CM that day might work one day and not the next. DAS will not help you unless there is a FP line so most M&Gs will not help because no FP line

You can go to guest relation and talk to them about your needs. The DAS will give you a time to come back and you will go in the FP line the DAS does not work for most meet and greets. Also, I find that not really 100% on the DAS ( and I do not know if you will get one or not) but using your own tools to help does wonder. like could your family help make a little bubble by standing back some, would playing a game ( like see who can find the most hidden mickey, playing heads up on your phone help you out. If you know a line is hard for you talk to the CM and they may be able to help you out with this ( I was able to do a meet and greet where my friend waited in line for me and the CM let me in closer to the front ( no one said anything to me at all, but I was in the area the whole time. ( I will say going in the exit fo meet and greet more than likely will not work.

Last edited:
DAS will shorten the amount of time you are in the line, plus the FP line often has fewer people in it, so maybe a less crowded line will lessen your claustrophobia. Some (not all) of the fast pass lines are designed with fewer twists and turns and run separately from the main line, so you have fewer people surrounding you, and it just feels a bit more open. DAS wont work the way you had originally envisioned by letting you join your party at the front of the line, but it may still offer some benefit

We have needed a DAS in the past due to other family members. I understand how they work for typical needs. I think it was the previous iteration that I remember them letting you list what you needed (like alternative waiting area). That’s what I remembered and would need if available . I’m familiar with the line structures (as I said, I’m well over 50 trips in-I’m very used to the layouts of everything). Oh well. We will figure it out and I’ll send my husband and kids into things without me if they can’t accommodate us. A human bubble only works so much for me, as ceiling height can also be a problem.

I think it was the previous iteration that I remember them letting you list what you needed (like alternative waiting area).

The DAS is now basically the same, no specific designations. The alternative waiting area is basically waiting anywhere you want and then entry through the FP line. My sister has anxiety and panic attacks especially in claustrophobic situations. She has to be able to see the loading area of the attraction from most of the line. She can do some FP lines, such as TSM and LM, but has not done Pirates in over a decade.

We have needed a DAS in the past due to other family members. I understand how they work for typical needs. I think it was the previous iteration that I remember them letting you list what you needed (like alternative waiting area). That’s what I remembered and would need if available . I’m familiar with the line structures (as I said, I’m well over 50 trips in-I’m very used to the layouts of everything). Oh well. We will figure it out and I’ll send my husband and kids into things without me if they can’t accommodate us. A human bubble only works so much for me, as ceiling height can also be a problem.
I would talk to the CM either at Guest relation or at the rides ( but it sounds like your are thinking of the old GAC) as there really is no alternive waiting area ( I know what you mean by celling hight I do not go in the streaching room at the HM and I am able to go thoguth the exit ( and you will not need a DAS for this just let them know that your needs and they should be able to accmidate them ( I do this at other rides too 3 others that I can think of some work great others it is hit or miss) there are some things I have never been able to do (like I have had to get out of line had full blow melt down ) but I have not been able to do MILF

There is no alternative wait area in disney. You say you are familiar with the line structure so you should know for most rides there is no way to see your husband and kids when they reach the front, and no easy way to join them even if you could

This is copied from the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is located near the top of this board. It is about claustrophobia and may be helpful

This is a list of attractions that guests with claustrophobia, anxiety or panic type symptoms have reported issues with.

At MK:

• Haunted Mansion preshow room is a fairly small room called the Stretching Room. It has "No windows and No doors" (the Ghost Host reminds you of that). After the preshow, guests file into another very dark room for boarding and the space gets gradually narrower and narrower as you get closer to boarding. The doombuggies are a problem for some people because of the darkness, the roof of the ride vehicle and the fact that for part of the ride you are going backwards down a hill. If you want to ride without going thru the Stretching room, talk with the CM at the entrance. It is likely not possible, but won't hurt to ask.
  • Stitch's Great Escape is not tight, but is dark and some people have problems with the over shoulder harnesses and feeling like they can't escape. Parts of it are in total darkness.
  • Carousel of Progress has a fairly low ceiling is fairly dark and once the show begins, it is not possible to leave without an emergency stop of the show. I have not heard of anyone having a problem, but the inability to leave may cause a problem for some people.
  • Mickey's Philharmagic and Laugh Floor have preshow gathering areas where many guests are congregated to wait for the next show. The spaces are large and if someone has a problem being in the crowd, it is possible to hang back away from the crowd. The CMs will tell guests to keep moving forward and fill in all space, but if the CM tells your group to keep moving forward, just explain why you need to stay back.
  • Space Mountain has a tunnel with flashing lights that your ride car goes thru at the beginning of the ride. The ride itself is in near total darkness, which some people have issues with. The space rocket itself fits fairly tightly.
  • Tom Sawyer's Island has some narrow passageways to make your way through and a series of caves; these are dark and can be tight both in width and height. The floors are uneven, which can make the area more disorienting for some people.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean waiting area is themed as a connecting set of caves that twist around into different passageways. It is dim and the ceiling is fairly low. The wait generally is short, so guests pass thru the caves quickly, which minimizes any potential problems. When exiting the attraction, guests go up a steep moving walkway. Guests who are not able to use this use a small elevator to get back to group level.
  • Astro Orbitor in Tomorrowland is located above ground level. There is a very small elevator to get up and down from the ride.
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority is an elevated tram that gives an overview of Tomorrowland. The track goes into some buildings, including a section going thru Space Mountain. This gives a bit of a Space Mountain overview, but is also extremely dark.mwhike you are inside, you can't see light from outside, which can make some people feel trapped. Inside Space Mountain is the only area that is dark.
  • Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid in New Fantasyland has a series of cave-like passageways to get to the boarding area. Some areas are narrow or have fairly low ceilings. The last part before boarding is quite dark.

At Epcot:
  • Spaceship Earth has a sort of narrow hallway that your ride car goes thru at the start of the ride and another that your ride car will go down backward at the end of the ride. Both of those can cause a problem for some people, especially the backwards part near the end. There is an interactive touchscreen experience while going down, which helps.
  • Mission Space has a small room for the preshow. The ride is a small capsule to begin with and the control panel advances toward you once the ride car has closed, making it even smaller. Interestingly, I have problems with claustrophobia and didn't have a problem on Mission Space. The waiting area and the ride capsule is pretty much identical whether riding the original version or the more 'tame' green version.
  • Test Track has a waiting line for both the regular line and the Fastpass line that snakes around quite a bit. The preshow area is a fairly small room with a fairly low ceiling. People are grouped around computer touchscreens where you 'design' your own car. Guests stay in that room until a door opens that leads into the next waiting room. The line in that second room moves fairly slowly and when it is crowded, it may feel more claustrophobic.
  • Soarin' queue is in a large space, but the line may feel very tight because there are high walls on both sides (both Fastpass and regular line). There is an interactive game occurring in the regular line, which means people may be jumping, waving, swaying next to you while playing the game.
  • Guests entering the Land with a wheelchair or ECV need to use a small elevator to go from the entrance level down to the level where the food court, Soarin' and Living With the Land are located.
  • Nemo ride at Living Seas had a darkened line with a lot of twists and turns. It is seldom busy, so guests move through quickly, which minimizes problems. The extreme darkness of the line may be an issue.
  • Guests with wheelchairs at the Living Seas need to use a small elevator if they want to go to the second floor of the attraction.
  • Sum of All Thrills at Innoventions is a 'design it ypurself' roller coaster. Guests sit in a self contained ride with a tightly fitting restraint and a screen that comes very close to the guest's face while the ride is in motion. It is possible to watch other guests riding, which may help with deciding whether or not it will be a problem.
  • American Adventure theater is on the second floor of the building. Guests can get up there using an escalator or a flight of stairs. Guests with wheelchairs or ECVs use a small elevator to get up there. When leaving, all guests go down a fairly steep ramp.

At Hollywood Studios
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid has a fairly small room for the preshow area and they do pack guests in quite tightly.
  • Twilight Zone Tower of Terror has a preshow in a library with a fairly low ceiling and many people will be in the room for the preshow. The ride car is a fairly large elevator, but the ceiling is fairly low and many people with claustrophobia or anxiety issues have problems with elevators in general.
  • Rock N Roller Coaster is a very dark ride, which may cause problems for some people. It also has an over the shoulder restraint.
  • Fantasmic waiting line and theater are outside, but some people have difficulty because of the large number of people and the closeness. If you have enough people in your party, they can act as a 'buffer' around you to keep a space around you.
  • Toy Story Mania is a large space, but at one point of the line, you come to a steep set of stairs which leads to a passageway that goes over the ride track and then another stairway to get back down to board. There are windows in the passageway, but the ceiling is fairly low.
  • Star Tours ride is in a fairly small theater with no windows, simulating a small space ship. A movie is shown out the front 'window' and your space ship moves in reaction to what is going on in the movie.

Animal Kingdom:

• It's Tough to Be a Bug has a low ceiling in the preshow area that simulates being underground. The theater itself is large, but some guests with claustrophobia may have difficulty with the the darkness and the fact that things are happening to you - some of them poking you in the back or bottom.
  • Dinosaur has a tunnel sort of area that the ride cars go thru to be sent back to the past. Once in, the attraction very dark, some in almost total darkness. There is a set of stairs in the boarding area. Guests who are not able to use the stairs use a small elevator to get to the boarding area.

The best way to avoid crowded preshows is to go during less busy times and to use touring plans, which will help you to be in the least crowded part of the least crowded park.

This is a resource for panic attacks, which may be helpful:
http://psychcentral.com/lib/how-to-halt-and-minimize-panic-attacks/0005992

I have the same problem and Hollywood studios little mermaid waiting area is an absolute no for me. No alternate either. I'm already stressing about the crowds leaving MK at night and my trip is in July!

Does distraction help at all? Games on a phone? A book? I have a small problem with being claustrophobic, but no where near as bad as you. Distraction helps me a lot. As does knowing that if you can get in the line, you can walk back out if it gets to be too much. I walked out of the Little Mermaid ride line in MK twice. Once, because I hadn't eaten and was starting to not feel good, and another time because the line came to a dead stop in the first cave. We stood in one spot for 20 minutes, and I had enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts