Class-Action Lawsuit against Disney Parks filed - CORRECTION: not class-action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most MAW children need and get other accommodation to make the most of their experience. I agree with everything MAW does for kids and their families to help make happy memories.

Potentially MAW children who don't go through the organization still have severe illnesses that are very hard to deal with in everyday life. So if a parent wants to take their sick kid to WDW and thinks a DAS card would make it possible for their child to enjoy the day, I think it is fine. Also, just because a child has survived their life threatening illness, doesn't mean they weren't left with some pretty devastating (life long) side effects from the treatment or disease.

I guess I'm confused, as I never said that children that need DAS cards shouldn't get them. I said that kids that are not MAW should not get the same benefits as MAW, which are much better than the DAS, from what I understand. MAW often provides FOTL, which is awesome - I just don't think that non-MAW kids should get that same kind of access.

Anyone that needs the DAS should be able to get it and use it.

A MAW trip is supposed to be something extra special to "make up for" all that the child has gone through/will go through. I know that it doesn't really "make up for it", but I cannot think of a batter way to phrase it. It does (and should) give some above and beyond the norm.

The DAS, on the other hand, is supposed to give equal access. Unlike a MAW trip, it isn't designed to take into account what the child goes through outside of WDW.

Thank you, you said it much better than I did!

They don't, MAW and Disney negotiated their agreement just like Chase Card Services with a free photo for people with their card.

Yes, I understand that. But my understanding of the PP was that she thought that some non-MAW kids should get the same benefits as MAW. I'm just wondering how she thinks that determination should be made, if the kids aren't MAW kids.

Again people walking in shoes that don't fit, what might work for one doesn't mean it works for the next, there is a saying that goes like this "If you've met ONE child with Autism, you have met ONE child with Autism"

:confused3 Yes, I know this quote and I'm not sure why you're directing this at me. For what it's worth, I know many children with autism, and other mental health and cognitive disabilities. I'm keenly aware how different they each are. I never claimed that the DAS would fit every need. My point is that you claimed that the DAS wasn't fair to your DD because she has to "wait twice" unlike people with FP+. I pointed out that you also can access FP+. Because you can also use the DAS, you can ride the same ride twice with minimal wait in line. That's once more than the general park-going population. Disney has made rides accessible to children with cognitive disabilities. They don't owe anyone repeated rides on the same ride with no wait.

Also, your definition of waiting twice is inaccurate. You get a return time that is 10 minutes less than the standby line. In most cases, that will make your wait approximately equal to the standby line. Yes, sometimes the FP+ line is longer than 10 minutes which makes your total wait longer. It's not a perfect system and never can be. But what about if you go to the line and the standby estimate is 20 minutes. You get to return in 10 minutes and join the FP+ line. Meanwhile, the actual standby wait was 45 minutes. So you will end up waiting far less in total than the standby. The 45 minute scenario happened to DD and I at Splash Mountain last trip. We chose to join the standby because 20 minutes is doable for DD. That 20 minutes was nowhere close to accurate. The 45 minute wait time was more of a challenge for DD. Luckily, we had some very lovely people in line in front of us who were willing to engage with my DD. It ended up being a great wait. They were from the San Francisco area and shared lots of fun information with DD about that area of the country. And DD responded with lots of information about Ohio.

Not surprised any longer at the hate toward children with autism and their parents. If we exchanged the words "children with autism" in this thread with "children who need a wheelchair" it would have been closed by now. But autism is really a lesser disorder and doesn't really need to be treated with any degree of dignity apparently.

How is this the case when it is the autistic and those with cognitive disabilities who are guaranteed the DAS regardless of the severity of their disorder? However, for those who are physically disabled, the rule of thumb is that the wheelchair meets their needs even though many are severely and/or profoundly physically disabled and can't handle the rigor of the queues. So, who isn't being treated with any degree of dignity?

Plus I would say 99% of the MAW children aren't making yearly trips to Disney much less monthly and weekly trips like the ones who are screaming about the DAS the loudest. For example that crazy Autism Hippy woman on FB! She claims to be a spokes person for the Autistic community and if in fact she is then they made a poor poor choice.

How is this the case when it is the autistic and those with cognitive disabilities who are guaranteed the DAS regardless of the severity of their disorder? However, for those who are physically disabled, the rule of thumb is that the wheelchair meets their needs even though many are severely and/or profoundly physically disabled and can't handle the rigor of the queues. So, who isn't being treated with any degree of dignity?
There's always going to be a small percentage of people that the system doesn't work for on both ends. It's up to everyone to decide what they can and can't handle.

Being in a wheelchair doesn't mean that you can't get a DAS if you have other issues.

Plus I would say 99% of the MAW children aren't making yearly trips to Disney much less monthly and weekly trips like the ones who are screaming about the DAS the loudest. For example that crazy Autism Hippy woman on FB! She claims to be a spokes person for the Autistic community and if in fact she is then they made a poor poor choice.

I don't know if it is as high as 99%, but it's probably a pretty high percentage. In my cousin's case, his family did trips regularly to WDW. Every few years or so. That's why he chose to meet Ozzy instead. He already knew he was going to Disney for his 16th birthday, but unfortunately, he didn't live to see that trip through.

The fact is there is nothing Disney can do that can accommodate each and every need, to think they can is just unfair. Even the GAC didn't help everyone. People who are wheelchair bound still had to wait quite a while for an accessible vehicle. How come people weren't complaining about the GAC not being an option for every one then.

Yes, I understand that. But my understanding of the PP was that she thought that some non-MAW kids should get the same benefits as MAW. I'm just wondering how she thinks that determination should be made, if the kids aren't MAW kids.

Not true. I said (in response to a PP who thought only MAW kids should get a DAS card) that a lot of kids who need a DAS could qualify for MAW (my DD for example) We declined MAW when it was offered, but still need a DAS. In no way do I think all potential MAW kids should get the special treatment of official MAW kids.

You should direct your question to Disney regarding how they treat people with various disabilities.

My issue is with what you feel comfortable saying here because of the general attitudes toward children with autism and their parents. I don't see any parents of children with autism saying that your child (and children with physical disabilities) ruined it for everyone, abused the system and ruined it for people who "really" need and deserve it.

This thread and every other thread like it isn't about Disney's policies and how to change the ones that might be unfair. It's just another opportunity for people to freely express their opinions about children with autism and their parents and their rage toward Disney because they don't expect us to keep out children locked away like they would prefer.

Maybe you should file a lawsuit if you believe that Disney is in violation of the ADA in regard to your own situation. Maybe contact Disney directly.

I don't blame anyone else's child for Disney's often stupid policies. Why must my child (because he has a certain disability) be blamed for this one?

The issue of dignity is here on this board.

Not true. I said (in response to a PP who thought only MAW kids should get a DAS card) that a lot of kids who need a DAS could qualify for MAW (my DD for example) We declined MAW when it was offered, but still need a DAS. In no way do I think all potential MAW kids should get the special treatment of official MAW kids.

When I said:
Agreed - some kids using DAS are potentially MAW kids. But until they actually are MAW kids, via the MAW vetting process, they shouldn't receive the same benefits as MAW kids, IMO.

You said that you respectfully disagreed. I NEVER said that only MAW kids should get a DAS. So either you misunderstood what I wrote, or you responded to me when you meant to respond to someone else.

My issue is with what you feel comfortable saying here because of the general attitudes toward children with autism and their parents. I don't see any parents of children with autism saying that your child (and children with physical disabilities) ruined it for everyone, abused the system and ruined it for people who "really" need and deserve it.

Actually, the lawsuit does say that - that the abuse was from people in wheelchairs. It also says that the change in policy is fine for those in wheelchairs (they should go through the mainstream line), but that their children (who all have autism) should get access to rides immediately, whenever they want.

You should direct your question to Disney regarding how they treat people with various disabilities.

This thread and every other thread like it isn't about Disney's policies and how to change the ones that might be unfair. It's just another opportunity for people to freely express their opinions about children with autism and their parents and their rage toward Disney because they don't expect us to keep out children locked away like they would prefer.

Maybe you should file a lawsuit if you believe that Disney is in violation of the ADA in regard to your own situation. Maybe contact Disney directly.

I don't blame anyone else's child for Disney's often stupid policies. Why must my child (because he has a certain disability) be blamed for this one?

The issue of dignity is here on this board.

What on Earth are you talking about? :confused3 Disney's policy is not stupid. They go above and beyond to help their guests on a daily basis. No one in this thread has stated that children with Autism should be locked away. :confused3 Why are you trying to stir the pot here? No one is blaming your child. :confused3

You should direct your question to Disney regarding how they treat people with various disabilities. My issue is with what you feel comfortable saying here because of the general attitudes toward children with autism and their parents. I don't see any parents of children with autism saying that your child (and children with physical disabilities) ruined it for everyone, abused the system and ruined it for people who "really" need and deserve it. This thread and every other thread like it isn't about Disney's policies and how to change the ones that might be unfair. It's just another opportunity for people to freely express their opinions about children with autism and their parents and their rage toward Disney because they don't expect us to keep out children locked away like they would prefer. Maybe you should file a lawsuit if you believe that Disney is in violation of the ADA in regard to your own situation. Maybe contact Disney directly. I don't blame anyone else's child for Disney's often stupid policies. Why must my child (because he has a certain disability) be blamed for this one? The issue of dignity is here on this board.

The only time I've really seen it come up is in situations like this... You can't honestly look at those complaints in the lawsuit, or the blogs with outrageous examples of why their kids 'need' the DAS and not understand why people might generalize.

If this situation is the first experience someone has with the autism community they're going to walk away with some bad vibes. Hell, I've walked away with some bad vibes and I'm involved in it.

I don't see any parents of children with autism saying that your child (and children with physical disabilities) ruined it for everyone, abused the system and ruined it for people who "really" need and deserve it.

Of course you don't and that is because our kids rode the ride once and then moved on (you tend to do that when you have to wait 20 minutes for an accessible-ride vehicle); whereas, those with autism rode the same ride countless times in the same period of time. The GAC was never intended as a unlimited FOTL FastPass, yet, that is what it became known as thanks to the abuse by this one group.

Of course you don't and that is because our kids rode the ride once and then moved on (you tend to do that when you have to wait 20 minutes for an accessible-ride vehicle); whereas, those with autism rode the same ride countless times in the same period of time. The GAC was never intended as a unlimited FOTL FastPass, yet, that is what it became known as thanks to the abuse by this one group.

I'm sorry, but this is very offensive and factually inaccurate. I hope you will consider self deleting so that this thread doesn't get locked.

As a parent of 2 children with spina bifida neither or which can stand or walk I will gladly wait a ride cycle for an accessible vehicle that my girls can ride on. There are several things in life my girls can't do because of the inability to stand like ride carnival rides which they would love to do so waiting for something they can has never phased us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!