• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cirque du Soliel & autism

Leah's Mom

Mouseketeer
My dd is 14 and has autism. We are heading to Disney in March and thinking of going to see Cirque du Soliel. Has anyone done it with an autistic child? She is in the moderate rage with her autism. We have done Disney 5 other times, but only the parks. The other option is for just me and my husband go and my ds who is close to 16 would stay back and watch her. He is totally fine with watching her. He isn't that excited about seeing Cirque du Soliel. My biggest fear is we fork out all that money and she isn't interested in it and wants to go back to the hotel. She is in a lot of ways like a 4 or 5 year old. What do you think?

Hi. I'm HFA and I really like cirque. This summer I went with my sister and her son who is profoundly autistic, he loved cirque so much we went twice while there. It was the only time he smiled the entire trip outside of the swimming pool. However Both he and I wore inexpensive ear plugs to dull some of the more annoying lound sounds during the show. At first in the begining he though one of the charaters was coming to get him and we had to keep him from bolting off. This was a problem since we were in the center wheelchair seating and they keep coming round.

Court

My younger son is 4 yrs. old and has functioning Autism. He LOVES Cirque. He can at times be near obssessed with Cirque.
He loves the La Nouba DVD. We took him (and a large chunk of my extended family) to see La Nouba back in Aug. '05. He was riveted! I did have to transfer him to my lap for the last part of the show, he wanted to get on stage!
Here's my adivice. Get a seat near an aisle in case you need to take DD out of the area (Less disruption to others if this arises.)
I'd recommend getting your hands on the DVD of the show if you can. Being a live show it won't be identicle to the DVD but it can help prepare your DD for any bits that may have a surprise factor (tho' La Nouba is pretty light in that area.) There are some pyrotechnic effects. The show isn't very loud.
Oh, also bring a comfort item for DD to hold if she has something. I didn't need it with Vinny but I had something, just in case.
If you DD likes music, vivid imagery (such as the costumes) lights and movement she should enjoy Cirque!
My Vinny, like I said, adores Cirque Du Soleil. Later this month I'm taking him and his older brother (6 yrs. ADHD ad also really likes Cirque, this boy sat still through the whole performance of La Nouba. That's 90 mintued where barely moved, heck he hardly even fidgeted! His 9 yr. old neuro-typical cousin was more bouncy than he was!) Anyways, I'm taking them to see Varekai (another great Cirque show).
I HIGHLY recommend La Nouba!

Sara

La Nouba is a great show and my DS 11 who has Asperger Syndrome really enjoyed it. There is very little dialogue, it is mostly a visual experience. Because there is so much going on at all times I think it would be difficult not to be captivated.

Ear plugs are a great idea, and perhaps sitting away from the stage and the walkway area. Its expensive but truly unforgettable. If you go for it I hope everyone enjoys it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter