OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

I was looking for the 2016 thread to see what festivities were for Christmas time last year but could only find 2014 & 2015. Does anyone have a link to last year's link of festivities? We haven't been during this time of year and last year due to the construction of SW land there have been changes I believe so, I would like to look at last year's info.

If it's one titled Superthread #5, it's the most current one. (It started in 2014 and ended earlier this year.)

If it's one titled Superthread #5, it's the most current one. (It started in 2014 and ended earlier this year.)
That's the one I was looking at but usually the treads have the most up to date info in the first few pages which this one doesnt. It has 2014 & 2015. And there are a lot of pages to go thru... I was hoping for like what was done previously. Oh well:sad2:

My most recent Superthread was closed (I didn't close it), presumably to avoid confusion. I hadn't updated it in a while, nor had I even posted in it for a long time, so I would just skip looking at that (sometimes real life gets in the way and we have to turn our attention to more pressing issues! LOL).

Someone else was doing some sort of Christmas thread last year (that I didn't have anything to do with), correct? So I would look at that person's thread, wherever it may be, for all of the info on last year's happenings.

Also see page 1 of figment_jii's 2016 Calendar of Events thread with dates of events and other things, to get a sense of what was happening last year -- https://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-calendar-of-events-school-breaks-and-dlr.3434866/

My most recent Superthread was closed (I didn't close it), presumably to avoid confusion. I hadn't updated it in a while, nor had I even posted in it for a long time, so I would just skip looking at that (sometimes real life gets in the way and we have to turn our attention to more pressing issues! LOL).

Someone else was doing some sort of Christmas thread last year (that I didn't have anything to do with), correct? So I would look at that person's thread, wherever it may be, for all of the info on last year's happenings.

Also see page 1 of figment_jii's 2016 Calendar of Events thread with dates of events and other things, to get a sense of what was happening last year -- https://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-calendar-of-events-school-breaks-and-dlr.3434866/
I completely understand Sherry! I couldn't keep up with it either:o

I think that, festivity-wise, we at least know that the Candlelight Processional will take place on the first full weekend of December. That's a given.

We know Festival of Holidays is returning this year, in DCA (including Viva Navidad).

The ice skating rink is gone from Downtown Disney, due to new security stations.

The Winter Castle will be back.

It's a Small World Holiday will be back.

Haunted Mansion Holiday will likely be back this year.

I think that Jingle Cruise is a safe bet to return.

Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks will be back.

The Christmas Fantasy Parade will be back in some capacity (not sure what's happening as far as a holiday season nighttime parade yet).

It seems to be a sure thing that World of Color -- Season of Light will return.

I think the gingerbread display in the GCH lobby is too much of a hit to not bring back.

My guess is that most things that were in place last year will be back for this year's holiday season. Now, when it comes to 2018 and 2019 we might start to see some changes as we get closer to the opening of Star Wars Land. But I think that 2017 will not look too much different than 2016, as far as the array of seasonal offerings.

I think that, festivity-wise, we at least know that the Candlelight Processional will take place on the first full weekend of December. That's a given.

We know Festival of Holidays is returning this year, in DCA (including Viva Navidad).

The ice skating rink is gone from Downtown Disney, due to new security stations.

The Winter Castle will be back.

It's a Small World Holiday will be back.

Haunted Mansion Holiday will likely be back this year.

I think that Jingle Cruise is a safe bet to return.

Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks will be back.

The Christmas Fantasy Parade will be back in some capacity (not sure what's happening as far as a holiday season nighttime parade yet).

It seems to be a sure thing that World of Color -- Season of Light will return.

I think the gingerbread display in the GCH lobby is too much of a hit to not bring back.

My guess is that most things that were in place last year will be back for this year's holiday season. Now, when it comes to 2018 and 2019 we might start to see some changes as we get closer to the opening of Star Wars Land. But I think that 2017 will not look too much different than 2016, as far as the array of seasonal offerings.

I think because I haven't been to DL at Christmas time since 2009 I am positive things will be different now. We went the day after Christmas until New Years and it was the best New Years I have even experienced! I wanted to do that this year but it looks like we are leaning toward 12/14-12/17. We will have an idea of when exactly in the next week or so. So, anyhow when I went there were real live Reindeer with Santa back in the area where the animals were but is no longer there so, probably no Reindeer this time around. I'm not sure what the Festival or Holidays or Candlelight Processional are. I guess I will have to do some research to see what all is offered. :thanks:

I think because I haven't been to DL at Christmas time since 2009 I am positive things will be different now. We went the day after Christmas until New Years and it was the best New Years I have even experienced! I wanted to do that this year but it looks like we are leaning toward 12/14-12/17. We will have an idea of when exactly in the next week or so. So, anyhow when I went there were real live Reindeer with Santa back in the area where the animals were but is no longer there so, probably no Reindeer this time around. I'm not sure what the Festival or Holidays or Candlelight Processional are. I guess I will have to do some research to see what all is offered. :thanks:
Reindeer were gone a few years ago. (I loved seeing them!!) They have a "Festival" area down b Boardwalk Pizza where they have a parade showing the Latino and Jamaican culture. (Viva Navidad!) Candlelight Processional is a performance in Disneyland done at the train station the first full weekend in Dec. It is the reading of the STory of Christmas, done by a star narrator, with choirs from around the LA area and the Disneyland Cast choir. It is something gorgeous to see. One of my favorite things to see each year. Here are a few pics:

The Disney Choir and trumpeteers
15284063_10211529696541600_7486473309271150696_n.jpg

Ginnifer Goodwin was the narrator last ear
15285067_10211529697141615_4821718260464270110_n.jpg

This young girl has an amazing voice, performs Away in a Manger
15349772_10211529724222292_5901028151098274777_n.jpg

Cast Choir
15390661_10211529725382321_7204763317700735351_n.jpg

Orchestra and choir.
15319266_10211529724742305_2862678586325594558_n.jpg

My favorite Dapper Dan, Drew

Last edited:

Reindeer were gone a few years ago. (I loved seeing them!!) They have a "Festival" area down b Boardwalk Pizza where they have a parade showing the Latino and Jamaican culture. (Viva Navidad!) Candlelight Processional is a performance in Disneyland done at the train station the first full weekend in Dec. It is the reading of the STory of Christmas, done by a star narrator, with choirs from around the LA area and the Disneyland Cast choir. It is something gorgeous to see. One of my favorite things to see each year.

My favorite Dapper Dan, Drew
Thanks for sharing! Very cool :oToo bad the Reindeer are gone.:sad1:

You do have a lot of new Christmas-y things to see! It will be exciting for you to see how much the holiday landscape at DLR has changed. The last time you were there for the holidays there was no Cars Land or Buena Vista Street, and those 2 lands have added so much to DCA during the season. Even Pacific Wharf has a few little seasonal touches now (more than it used to have years ago). DCA's Santa used to greet guests in a store on BVS, which was a nice setting, but last year he relocated to Grizzly Peak (he is in Critter Country in Disneyland). The Buena Vista Street Community Bell Ringers are a delight.

If you enjoy strolling through the 3 Disney hotels, you might find their displays interesting too. Now there is a gingerbread display in the Grand Californian Hotel lobby during the season. The Disneyland Hotel added in a (fake) gingerbread castle in the lobby of the Fantasy Tower. The Paradise Pier Hotel went with an all-oceanic theme for their main Christmas tree, with themed ornaments and clunky surfboards, shells and other things around the base of the tree (great colored lights, though).

There was no Jingle Cruise the last time you were at DLR for Christmas. Now there is! So many new things to see...

I can't believe I missed this thread! I think I saw the title of "Christmas and New Years" and thought it was just for those visiting Christmas and New Year's week.

We're not fully committed but targeting 11/28 to 12/3. We were there right before Thanksgiving last year and just didn't feel in the holiday spirit yet. Hopefully the week after will feel more Christmasy to us! :santa:

I can't believe I missed this thread! I think I saw the title of "Christmas and New Years" and thought it was just for those visiting Christmas and New Year's week.

We're not fully committed but targeting 11/28 to 12/3. We were there right before Thanksgiving last year and just didn't feel in the holiday spirit yet. Hopefully the week after will feel more Christmasy to us! :santa:
Should I change the title to cover more dates?

Should I change the title to cover more dates?
If you want this to be about the holiday season, I probably would. That also goes into November. But it's your thread so your choice. I'm just saying I didn't even open it since I wasn't planning to travel in late December. But then lots of other people did open it. So maybe I was just being dense!

Thanks so much for putting something together! I'm really looking forward to getting more information on holidays at DLR in 2017!

I've always found that I never felt fully in the spirit in, for example, mid-November, despite the fact that the parks were decorated and the ride overlays were in place. Of course, I greatly appreciate that DLR gets an early start and rolls out the Christmas trees at the beginning of November -- because it's great for people to have that extra time to be able to enjoy the seasonal festivities, as opposed to having to wait until after Thanksgiving to enjoy the holiday merriment. And it goes without saying that I can talk about Christmas, watch Christmas movies and enjoy Christmasy things earlier than most normal people can!:rotfl: However, I never fully feel in the spirit of the season -- at Disneyland Resort -- until Thanksgiving and beyond.

I've always found that I never felt fully in the spirit in, for example, mid-November, despite the fact that the parks were decorated and the ride overlays were in place. Of course, I greatly appreciate that DLR gets an early start and rolls out the Christmas trees at the beginning of November -- because it's great for people to have that extra time to be able to enjoy the seasonal festivities, as opposed to having to wait until after Thanksgiving to enjoy the holiday merriment. And it goes without saying that I can talk about Christmas, watch Christmas movies and enjoy Christmasy things earlier than most normal people can!:rotfl: However, I never fully feel in the spirit of the season -- at Disneyland Resort -- until Thanksgiving and beyond.
My daughter loves Christmas. She just celebrated "Half-mas" (halfway to Christmas.) To us, seeing everything up Veteran's weekend gets us in the holiday spirit.

My daughter loves Christmas. She just celebrated "Half-mas" (halfway to Christmas.) To us, seeing everything up Veteran's weekend gets us in the holiday spirit.

Your daughter sounds like my kind of people! I absolutely love Christmas!! (Hence, my Christmas/Holiday Season Superthreads and Theme Week Countdowns on this forum for years!) Is your daughter a Christmas in July person too (I know that some folks recoil in horror at the thought, but I am guessing she likes it!)? I am currently waiting with anticipation for Christmas movies to start at the end of next week, for Christmas in July, and then again at the end of October -- before Halloween. I am all about Christmas.

However, for some odd reason, I have always felt much more in the spirit -- at DLR, specifically -- in December, as opposed to mid-November or pre-Thanksgiving. It could be the weather. It is more likely that there will be a few cold nights and chilly days in December than it is in November, and that probably helps. I like to bundle up and whip out the extra sweaters, coats, mittens and scarves at DLR, and there is less of a chance to be able to do that in November. When I met mom2rtk and some other DIS'ers a few years back, it was a windy, crisp December day (mom2rtk may remember the SoCal cold snap that year) and I loved it!! I was in heaven! We were all bundled up in our group photo in front of the BVS tree.

I'm on "there is never too much Christmas" bandwagon! And yes, I'm eagerly awaiting the Christmas in July movies. @Sherry E , I always wait for your info on the Nov/Dec holiday movies as well!

As many know, we've been going Thanksgiving week for...this will make year 5. I have no problem getting into the Christmas mood then. But I will say it's helped along by the fact that my daughters all dance in the Nutcracker, which starts rehearsals in Sept/Oct. It's such a staple of our Christmas season, that it's easy for the holidays to melt into each other for us.

Well, I feel better now. If Sherry isn't in the Christmas mood before Thanksgiving, then I don't feel bad that I wasn't either! Don't get me wrong, we had a great time, and I loved the decor. But it wasn't the same feeling I got when we had gone in December before.

Your daughter sounds like my kind of people! I absolutely love Christmas!! (Hence, my Christmas/Holiday Season Superthreads and Theme Week Countdowns on this forum for years!) Is your daughter a Christmas in July person too (I know that some folks recoil in horror at the thought, but I am guessing she likes it!)? I am currently waiting with anticipation for Christmas movies to start at the end of next week, for Christmas in July, and then again at the end of October -- before Halloween. I am all about Christmas.
Yes! We've already watched Elf! And mid July, will be a whole slew of them. And will be the start of Christmas shopping (she probably already has a bunch done...)

However, for some odd reason, I have always felt much more in the spirit -- at DLR, specifically -- in December, as opposed to mid-November or pre-Thanksgiving. It could be the weather. It is more likely that there will be a few cold nights and chilly days in December than it is in November, and that probably helps. I like to bundle up and whip out the extra sweaters, coats, mittens and scarves at DLR, and there is less of a chance to be able to do that in November. When I met mom2rtk and some other DIS'ers a few years back, it was a windy, crisp December day (mom2rtk may remember the SoCal cold snap that year) and I loved it!! I was in heaven! We were all bundled up in our group photo in front of the BVS tree.
I get this, because to be honest, it doesn't feel as much like Christmas for us, until Candlelight weekend. But I still get the thrill of seeing all the decor. And the Christmas trees!!!

Hello, we will be visiting Disneyland from Dec 3 - Dec 7. This will be our first trip during the holiday season.

Sounds like we will be there during the candlelight processional? I have heard that unless you rope drop and sit on main street all. day. long, you cannot expect to watch the show and should just proceed as if it weren't happening. Is this true?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter