Christmas Lights: White or Multi-Colored?

We got our tree last night so I’m debating this very thing. I go through phases. White only. Color only. A mix. Blinking. Steady. White steady, color blinking. The last couple of years it’s been a mix. I keep looking at this tree and I’m feeling color only. It’s taller/thinner than we usually get with more space between the branches. I feel like I should let the tree stand out. Oh yeah, I overthink it too.

I bought a cheap $39 6.5' tall fake tree with multi color lights at Walmart this past weekend. If I get one year's use out of it I'll be satisfied.

For the price, it looks pretty decent once all the branches were fluffed up and shaped.

Through last year, I did multi-colored. This year I tried something different. All red, with gold garland. I would have liked those to be on a black tree, fulfilling the Mickey theme entirely (my ornaments on the big tree are 100% Disney now), but the rest of the family wasn't ready for that.

I miss the big bulb strings. LED lights don’t show bright colours like multi coloured strings used to. But they did get hot.

We have white on 2 trees and multi colour on the one by the fireplace down stairs. No blinking lights. Or spinning around like I saw some stands last year.

Outside is multi colour too.

tree has white.....makes the ornaments stand out better (and all the money on those ornaments, I want them noticed)

out side we now have blue icicles

Multicolored for the trees (I have 2). Mix of sizes and we have some novelty ones, some from DH's grandparents.

Outdoor is a mix of white and large multicolored bulbs that are relics from decades ago.

For the "formal" tree in the dining room, white lights, with gold beads and ONLY blue and green ornaments.

For the "fun" tree in the colorful living room (that's full of kids' toys), colored lights.

I would prefer muli-colored on a tree, but the LED blue lights drive me nuts. I have a pretty strong glasses prescription, and the chromatic aberration with blue lights is just awful. Basically if I tilt my head, the blue light moves more relative to the other colors. Purple is kind of fun though- I can actually see the red and blue lights separate. Still, it gets old, and I can’t really focus on the tree well.

So we just purchased a new warm white LED tree. But we still have our small hand-me-down multi-colored tree, so we put that up in the dining room. (For some reason the blue lights aren’t as bad to me- probably because these are incandescent.)

For outside, I’ve always liked the warm white icicle lights. Of course this year we ended up putting multi colored strands on our porch because we haven’t been able to find enough icicle strings in one type for our house!

I like color, but in strings that are all the same, not random.
Do you mean all one color like only blue or only red? Or do you mean where the colored lights are in a pattern (e.g., red-green-yellow-blue, red-green-yellow-blue) instead of random colors next to each other (red-green-yellow-blue-yellow-green-blue-red)

Do you mean all one color like only blue or only red? Or do you mean where the colored lights are in a pattern (e.g., red-green-yellow-blue, red-green-yellow-blue) instead of random colors next to each other (red-green-yellow-blue-yellow-green-blue-red)

No, like full strings of one color - like for outside lights mostly, frame the house in one color, the windows in another, alternate red & white around a tree to make that candy cane look. That kind of stuff.

I used to be a white lights only kinda girl because I thought it looked classier & more elegant.

As I got older, I started feeling nostalgia for the multi-colored lights of vintage trees. Plus, the kids always liked the multi-colored lights.

Multi-colored lights are fun & festive!

So, now, our living room tree & kitchen tree have white lights. The living room tree is in front of a window & can be seen from the outside.

As you walk into our house, you can see both the kitchen tree & the living room tree. In our foyer, I have 3 smaller trees w/ white lights. I also have garland w/ white lights on the stair banister going up to the bedrooms.

Our family room tree is one of those trees that can fade in & out between white & multi-colored lights in a blink-y pattern, so that's what we have it set on. The garland on the fireplace mantel in the family room is multi-colored lights.

The tree in our bedroom has white lights - it's just lights, no ornaments. The trees in in the kids' bedrooms have multi-colored lights, & they're positioned in front of their windows, so you can see them from the outside.

And we have white candles in our windows. So it's a mix!

Our Christmas flamingo family outside are pink lights. And the garland around the door is white lights. There are wreaths w/ pink poinsettias to match the pink flamingos on the shutters, & the mailbox is wrapped in garland w/ pink poinsettias. And DH has 2 spot-lights in the yard lighting our house. I'm in the market for a lighted palm tree to go outside w/ the flamingos. We don't have any Christmas inflatables, but there are 2 I really, really want: Cousin Eddie's RV & Santa in a sleigh pulled by flamingos. A bunch of kitschy, tacky FUN!! (And this is from someone who used to have the classic, elegant white-lighted deer in the front yard at Christmas.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter