Christmas crowds and opinions/advice for parks please

kcamozzi

Earning My Ears
Hiya - I will be at WDW this Christmas for the first time yay! My DH, DD and I will be doing the Merrytime Christmas Cruise on the Fantasy Dec 13-21. We will then go to WDW for 5 nights, Dec 21-26 - staying at POR. I know that this is a crazy busy time of year but we just wanted to experience Christmas at Disney. We will be doing the parks for 3 days only (no park-hoppers) and thinking of doing MVMCP on Dec 22 (yes, it's the last party night so crazy busy again). I am hoping for some thoughts and advice from experienced Christmas time Disney-goers. This is our tentative plan of action... Dec 21 late afternoon to closing at MK. Dec 22 only MVMCP. Dec 23 EPCOT and Candlelight Processional. Dec 24 AK rope drop. Christmas Day will be a resort day and Disney Springs. Dec 23 and 24 can be interchangeable at this point. AK has EMH morning on Dec 23 and EPCOT had EMH evening on Dec 24. Should we do the EMHs? Would we have a better chance of touring those parks if we do or would those parks just be extra crowded because of EMH? Thanks in advance for all the help :)

We were there 2 years ago. Started our trip doing the last MVMCP - I see you have the last party night scheduled. We spent Christmas Eve in Epcot and did the Candlelight Processional (1st showing), had dinner then hopped over to MK and stayed until right before midnight. We didn't do a park on Christmas Day as they are crowded so we spent the day at Disney Springs. We had dinner at Whispering Canyon that night which I highly recommend. I think you are pretty much right on the money with your plans, I would suggest Epcot for Christmas Eve if I were to change anything.

We were there 2 years ago. Started our trip doing the last MVMCP - I see you have the last party night scheduled. We spent Christmas Eve in Epcot and did the Candlelight Processional (1st showing), had dinner then hopped over to MK and stayed until right before midnight. We didn't do a park on Christmas Day as they are crowded so we spent the day at Disney Springs. We had dinner at Whispering Canyon that night which I highly recommend. I think you are pretty much right on the money with your plans, I would suggest Epcot for Christmas Eve if I were to change anything.
Thank you for your suggestion of Epcot on Christmas Eve instead of Dec 23 - I was wondering about possibly doing that and adding the Candlelight Processional Dining Package. My only worry was that it was going to be extra crowded that evening due to EMH evening. Do you think that doing Epcot on the 24th would still work if we chose not to rope drop and went later in the day instead? Or should we rope drop and leave in the afternoon to come back for the evening for dinner and Candlelight Processional?

My suggestion would be to spring for the hopper pass. It will make your life much easier during the Christmas season. Definitely worth the extra money. You can attend EMH and then hop to lighter crowds at the other parks. To your question, I would rope drop, leave, and return if not purchasing the hopper.

Getting to the parks right as they open the gates will allow you to get through some attractions before the crowd levels reach insanity status by late morning.

Hiya - I will be at WDW this Christmas for the first time yay! My DH, DD and I will be doing the Merrytime Christmas Cruise on the Fantasy Dec 13-21. We will then go to WDW for 5 nights, Dec 21-26 - staying at POR. I know that this is a crazy busy time of year but we just wanted to experience Christmas at Disney. We will be doing the parks for 3 days only (no park-hoppers) and thinking of doing MVMCP on Dec 22 (yes, it's the last party night so crazy busy again). I am hoping for some thoughts and advice from experienced Christmas time Disney-goers. This is our tentative plan of action... Dec 21 late afternoon to closing at MK. Dec 22 only MVMCP. Dec 23 EPCOT and Candlelight Processional. Dec 24 AK rope drop. Christmas Day will be a resort day and Disney Springs. Dec 23 and 24 can be interchangeable at this point. AK has EMH morning on Dec 23 and EPCOT had EMH evening on Dec 24. Should we do the EMHs? Would we have a better chance of touring those parks if we do or would those parks just be extra crowded because of EMH? Thanks in advance for all the help :)

Pack your patience. We have been Spring Break, September, even during Irma with walk on rides all week and this past Christmas. Though the crowds are insane, we prefer Christmas week over any other time. These pics are from Christmas week 2018. Enjoy!
48917611_10213784734511792_5413562129192058880_n.jpg49344555_10213784776232835_8304695660569952256_n.jpg

I love going at Christmas and agree with all of the above just curb your expectations of what you will “accomplish” and know the crowds are for real. I like to go to non EMH parks, plan to do your fast passes, and a meal reservation. Counter service meals are really difficult and a table service lunch for example can be a much needed crowd break.

Thank you for your suggestion of Epcot on Christmas Eve instead of Dec 23 - I was wondering about possibly doing that and adding the Candlelight Processional Dining Package. My only worry was that it was going to be extra crowded that evening due to EMH evening. Do you think that doing Epcot on the 24th would still work if we chose not to rope drop and went later in the day instead? Or should we rope drop and leave in the afternoon to come back for the evening for dinner and Candlelight Processional?
We did the Candlelight Processional Package and chose to do the breakfast at Garden Grill that morning PPO (8:15) and had the first showing - we paid OOP for that package so breakfast was cheaper. We went right from breakfast onto Soarin so that worked well for us. We definitely left the park after Test Track and a few more rides, then swam that afternoon (we were at Beach Club and wanted to enjoy some pool time). We went back for the CP and then dinner then we hopped to MK. If you decide you want to hop due to crowds etc. you could always upgrade your ticket once you get there. If not, I still think you could go in the morning, leave, then go back at night for the processional, dinner and rides/show later, even with EMH there that night. You will experience crowds no matter what you do or where you go so as long as you know that going in, you will be fine.

Pack your patience. We have been Spring Break, September, even during Irma with walk on rides all week and this past Christmas. Though the crowds are insane, we prefer Christmas week over any other time. These pics are from Christmas week 2018. Enjoy!
View attachment 410497View attachment 410498
Oh my gosh! I knew it would be crowded...but yikes! I'll have to pack some extra patience :) Thank you for the reality check lol!

Thanks to all! I figured that days surrounding Christmas would be insane...now I am beginning to wonder if we should get park-hopper added on. Our initial thought behind no hopping was that by the afternoon, the other parks will be so much more crowded anyways. Hmmmm..... We do plan to just take it easy this trip, we don't expect to do too much in terms of e-ticket type rides. I think we really want to take in the atmosphere of the Christmas Season at WDW :)

We have gone typically over Christmas or thanksgiving. We have always done Epcot on Christmas Eve and enjoy candlelight processional. Honestly, with all the additions Epcot may be least crowded right now and it can handle crowds better due to its size. We were there in 2017 and on Christmas Day it was cooler (down around 55-60) after nights in the mid to high 70s, and I have never seen Epcot so deserted. The crowds will also be based on the weather too. I do agree with avoiding parks on Christmas Day. We typically would go to a park in the morning and then eat dinner at a resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter