Christmas crazy at UO

FishyMom

Earning My Ears
So my husband drops a bomb on me last night - let's go to Universal for 4 nights at Christmas! My job doesn't usually allow me to take many days off at Christmas, but I've managed to get 5 days off in a row (Dec 25 -Dec 29). We're a family of 4 with 2 boys (14 & 17) and we've been to UO twice before, but in July '18 & Aug '15. We know the drill when it comes to summer, but Christmas will be a completely different experience.

Here's my dilemma - Christmas will be crazy busy and I can't justify spending 4 nights at an EP hotel, although I'm currently thinking one night might do it. We're also coming from Canada, so flights and the exchange rate are killing me. Thinking one night at Royal Pacific (for 2 days of EP's), then moving for 3 nights at either Aventura or Sapphire Falls. Suggestions on which one you prefer.

My husband is currently obsessed with riding the new Hagrid's ride. I haven't kept up to date on this one, as I wasn't thinking we'd be back so soon. I'm assuming it still doesn't use the EP (correct me if I'm wrong) and the wait times will be crazy at Christmas.

I've already told the boys there would be no sleeping in, as we'd need to be at the parks at the crack of dawn for Early Entry to get in line for Hagrid's and they seemed fine with this. They definitely won't do 3+ hours in line though.

Am I totally crazy to plan this at this point...6 weeks away! Any other suggestions you can think of?

Why not spend your first night at the cheapest UOR hotel, then move to RPR for one night, so that you get two full days of EPs, rather than losing time on arrival/check in day, then moving back to cheapest hotel for last couple of nights?
Hagrid doesn’t have EP but we managed it easily at RD.
Your boys are the perfect age for UOR. I hope that you have a fabulous time.

I'd say if you can arrive early before EE and check in to get your cards you should be good for unlimited EP for the first day, then check out of the following day, but still have EP, then check into your other room for the rest of the journey. However, I do not know when your flight will come in and as @Welsh_Dragon said you want to take advantage of the full two days if you can if you're getting a deluxe hotel.

As for Hagrid's no EP, but before you arrive (a week, or two) keep checking the main Hagrid thread to see what has been going on with the ride and seeing how the queue action has been.

I'd try to do EP days at the end of the trip. It might be tough to use EP for 2 days then have to stand in lines the days after that. It's the same number of days either way, but mentally, it might present a challenge. ;)

On the other hand, if you do EPs just near the beginning then you can relax knowing you’ve ridden everything at least once and can go with a more casual approach to touring. 😊 Both ways have pluses and minuses though. I think I’d want them for your first full days.

Check out the APH rates on the hotels. We're staying 2 nights at Cabana Beach then moving to RPR for 1 night for the Express Pass. The order was dictated by the cost of hotel rooms. It may not matter during the time period you are going. We we will be there just before Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!