Christmas Breakfast - what will you have?

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
Hello all!

Stupid work blocking the site means I've not been on here much recently :sad2:

I'm planning our Christmas day and trying to decide what to cook. We've had the "breakfast casserole" for several years (with hash brown, egg, cooked crumbled sausage - you know the one!) but DS(14) has decided he's not keen on that. I've not tried the bisquick one yet, but what do you all serve on Christmas morning? My sister does Christmas lunch, so there's time and room for something nice, but we have to be finished and cleared in time to take MIL to mass before we all go to my sister for lunch, so anything that can be prepared ahead would be an ideal solution! I can always go for the full English, but that's so much work and washing up I'd rather avoid it. Might end up with bagels, but I'd rather have one dish to serve up.

Suggestions and recipes please!!

:flower3:Thanks

BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST COBBLER

1 loaf French bread (cheap grocery store variety)
4 eggs
½ cup milk
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
4½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
½ cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp butter, melted
Powdered sugar

1. Slice loaf into ¾-inch diagonal slices. You will need enough slices to completely cover a 13x9 baking dish tightly. It may be 8-10 slices if it is a large diameter loaf or 10-14 slices if it is a thinner loaf.
2. Place the slices on a rimmed jelly roll pan (15x10). This is not the pan it will be baked in so there is no need to grease it.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, baking powder, and vanilla. Slowly pour mixture over the bread, turning bread to coat completely. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for at least 1-2 hours or refrigerate overnight. The bread should soak up all the liquid.
4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450º. Butter a 13x9 baking dish.
5. Toss fresh or frozen blueberries (or combination of the two), sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
6. Place bread, wettest side up, on top of blueberries. Wedge slices in tightly, cutting to fit, if necessary.
7. Drizzle bread with melted butter. Bake 30-40 minutes until toast is golden brown and berries are bubbling up around sides.
8. Remove from oven and shake powdered sugar over the top. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Spoon extra blueberry sauce over the top of each serving.

The Creme Brulee French Toast looks really good, Gretchen! Also to the OP, be sure to check out Pinterest for gazillions of ideas.
Lynda

I make an overnight breakfast strata -- no hashbrowns, and I use ham or bacon.

Also -- cinnamon rolls! You can make them overnight and let rise in the a.m.

Cinnamon Rolls
1 1-lb. loaf frozen bread dough, thawed

1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1½ T. ground cinnamon
4 T. butter or margarine

2 T cream cheese, softened
2 T butter, softened
3/4 c. confectioners' sugar
1/4 t. vanilla extract
1/8 t. salt

I usually thaw the dough in the fridge early in the morning – it’s thawed when I make the rolls sometime after dinner. Or just thaw on the counter per package instructions. During the holidays you can sometimes find Rhodes Sweet Bread Dough.

Mix cinnamon and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside. Roll dough into about a 10 X 14 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 4 T. butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Roll up dough and cut into 8 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased baking pan. Cover (I use a warm wet dish towel) and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes (or you can cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight – remove from fridge in the morning and then allow to rise, about an hour in a warmed over).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 2 T butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving. I'll often make extra frosting for them, too.

Cinnabon cinnamon rolls sound good this year. It is usually light as we go somewhere for christmas dinner.

My hubby and I usually cook a big breakfast together. I've been looking for ideas on Pinterest recently because we'll be cooking for 8-10 people this year!

I'm leaning towards something (or multiple somethings!) in an overnight crockpot.

We have our regular vegemite on toast with coffee or cereal. If we are feeling inclined for a big breakfast it's bacon, eggs, grilled tomatoes, toast and baked beans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!