Christmas at Disney with Cancer

Bambi1989

Earning My Ears
hi all!

I booked a DVC stay at the Grand Floridian for Christmas (12/22-12/27) originally with the intent to rent but was recently diagnosed with cancer and now want to use the trip as a way to bring my family together as I start chemo.

I know Christmas is a hyper busy time of year and I wanted to see what some suggestions were as we plan this kind of last minute. I read to get a motorized scooter to help with the fatigue and hat/bandana to help with the sun (if that is even an issue in December) when it comes to the parks. But I think in general I’m looking to spend some time in a nice resort with my family for the holidays.

What are some other things I should consider? Thanks!

Sorry for the reason for your last minute visit.

Check out what special things might be available at your resort.

The decorations include a giant gingerbread house (that sells gingerbread) and some really over the top decorations. You can also walk/scooter easily to Polynesian to check out their decorations.

I don’t know if there will be any special activities for Christmas at your resort, but we’ve been to OKW multiple times over Halloween and at both Beach Club and Boardwalk over New Years. All had special things, including character greetings. So, check that out.

You might want to reconsider the ECV and opt for a wheelchair instead. The ECV would give you more independence, but it’s very hard to even manouver a wheelchair in high crowd levels. Using an ECV requires a lot of concentration and readiness to stop quickly. You will also be inching forward a few feet at a time a lot. Using an ECV in crowds csn be exhausting.

All lines are wheelchair accessible, but some are not ECV accessible. If you are not able to walk in line, you would need to transferto an attraction wheelchair for those. Some attractions also have wheelchair accessible ride vehicles - a nice option if you are really tired or under the weather.
With an ECV, your only transportation option to MK is the monorail. If you have a wheelchair that can be folded and you can step down into the boat, you also have the option of Grand Floridian’ boat service to MK.
https://www.wdwinfo.com/transportation/water.htm

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and many happy memories.

I agree about the EVC and crowds. I hurt my back on my last visit and needed a wheelchair one night at Food and Wine. It was very pleasant and my husband pushed and we just had to watch out for the foot rests and leave a small buffer between us and the person in front of me.

Then I rented an ECV for the rest of the time, and it was much more of an ordeal with the crowds. I had people leaning on the back on my ECV in queues and in line for food. It doesn't have brakes, but stops when you stop pushing the accelerator. Which means I was constantly afraid of not stopping in time and running into someone. And it wasn't even that crowded. I did get the hang of it after one day, though, and I never did hit anyone!

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I would recommend getting reservations (if you can) for anything you're interested in that offers reservations - i.e. restaurants, fast passes, tours, dessert parties, experiences. I know you said you're looking forward to family time, if you have younger family members maybe Bibbidi Boppity Boutique or Pirates' Adventure, or for older family members the Keys to the Kingdom tour or Caring for Giants. All of these do cost extra but I think during crowded times it's a good strategy to have as many reservations as possible, that way if the lines are really long you'll have things you don't have to wait for. Good luck! I hope your trip is filled with great memories!

So sorry for your diagnosis. Wishing you healing, strength and peace.

My concern would be with your potentially weakened immune system. December is hell on even the healthiest, let alone the germ soup that is Disney. I would suggest a mask for you, and some serious rules in your group about the first thing everyone does when returning to the room is to wash their hands. Stock up on antibacterial stuff. None of that is perfect, but it might help.

Best wishes for a wonderful trip.

I also have cancer and have made several trips while under going treatment. Chemo makes me extremely sun sensitive, so I invested in long sleeve sun protective shirts. Look at Columbia.com and Coolibar.com. I also had a long sleeve swim shirt with a hood to protect my neck and head. It also had thumb holes so that my hands were protected. I have sun protective gloves that protect my hands from the sun. Also, sun hat to go over any head wraps, and a sun protective swim head wrap. My skin was extra sensitive and blistered easy, so I had plenty of band aids and tape to protect my feet. It seems as if the least amount of friction from sandels would rub the skin raw on my feet. I rented a wheel chair, because if I wanted to walk it helped almost like a walker to hold on and balance myself. Make sure you get a disability pass from guest relations at the first park you visit. It will cut down having to stand in line. My finger and toenails came loose from chemo, so covered toe sandals were essential to keep from bumping or any on stepping on them. I am going down with my daughter Dec 13-17 and may due an ECV so she doesn't have to push me in a wheel chair all the time. My cancer has spread throughout my body at this point which causes pain in my skeleton and balance issues.
You will have a great time! Just take it easy and listen to your body. I will post any other tips that I think of.
Joy

Wow! I cannot imagine how anyone can go to Disney while in Chemo! While I was in Chemo I could not eat very much at all, it all tasted awful. Also my energy was nonexistant. I went no where except medical. Well, my body flunked out of Chemo, I spent a week in the hospital and another 6 weeks in recovery. Now I am in radiation treatment, 4 weeks down, 3 weeks to go. I know my immune system is severely compromised and I will do nothing to compromise my treatment by catching something. My life now consists of daily trips to radiation therapy and home. I enjoy and miss church, but I go to TV church. This is only for 3 more weeks, plus some recovery time for my immune system (maybe 4-6 weeks) but then I can do anything.

When I was diagnosed I had two trips scheduled, rooms booked, airfare paid for, but my doctor recommended I go nowhere until after I complete my treatment. Fortunately I could cancel the rooms (DVC), get some points back and gift my son and his wife with a trip for the expiring points. Fortunately bought the insurance for airfare and was able to get most of my money refunded. Buy travel insurance!

Best of luck with your treatment.

Andy

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter