Christmas at Aulani

redheadtove

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

Just trying to get information together for a Christmas Trip. My daughters who are 17 and 12 , along with myself ( the mom) are looking to go away for Christmas this year. Tired of being at home in the cold, endless running around and spending money for presents that in reality no one really needs. So this year we are looking to go with to Aulani or maybe a Disney Cruise. We have been away for New Years with Disney on a cruise and it was AMAZING and we have been to Hawaii for New Years as well.

Just trying to get some feed back of what happens at Aulani for Christmas. Do they do anything special for the day like meals or entertainment.

Any information you all could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in Advance.

We are considering this as well, would love any info on the subject of Christmas at Aulani :)

Just bumping the post, we're planning Christmas 2018 at Aulani, as well as my brothers 50th and my sons 3rd birthdays in the same week.

some of the questions i had were:
-What's the weather like in Hawaii that time of year?
-is there a special meal or anything we can attend on Christmas Day?
-forgive my ignorance but with a special time of year like Christmas, how much extra would be appropriate to tip on to those serving you on those days?
-how far in advance would we need to book (looking at a 2 bedroom villa)

Bumping this thread.
DW, DS (Almost 7 at time of travel), DFIL, and DMIL are going in December 2018 with In-laws staying for 7 nights (Dec. 22 - 29) and DW, DS and I staying for five extra nights through NY 2019.

We were there this past year just after Christmas (12/29-1/8), and I can tell you the resort decorations are beautiful, Hawaiian-style Christmas carols playing around the resort. Weather was great. We didn't have any rain while we were there. Temps in the low 70s to low 80s every day. As for when to book, I would book as early as you possibly can--we booked in, I believe July 2016 for 12/2016, and at that time, Christmas dates were not available for what we needed, which was a 2bdrm villa.

This past week or so I was listening to a podcast with Clark Howard and someone called in about doing HI during Christmas. Clark mentioned that during that week the prices for airline tickets to HI would be double. He kept trying to convince the caller to go at a different time of the year because they could go somewhere else during Christmas time and go to HI at later time and that would be equal to just going to HI at Christmas. If you do go I wish you a great trip.

Aulani has a Christmas Dinner in the ball room. They also have a Christmas menu at AMA AMA and buffet as usual at makahiki. The ball room dinner has entertainment. I can't remember how much it was but I remember it was significantly higher than the makahiki buffet we did, but the menu read nicer. I do not remember anything special about the makahiki buffet, but the AMA AMA menu had prime rib and a special holiday dessert. Tipping is up to you but we usually tip more than 20% on a holiday.

I believe they start booking Christmas ball room dinners in October, and sells out fast. I would call Aulani directly and speak with someone. AMA AMA and makahiki should be bookable already on the website.

We have been to Aulani a couple times over winter break. The weather is ranging from 70s to 80s. We have had a bit of rain (very short time maybe 15 minutes) and some wind too. It's beautiful!

I agree about airfare. I can't wait until my kids are out of school and we can travel in the off season!

We were there this past year just after Christmas (12/29-1/8), and I can tell you the resort decorations are beautiful, Hawaiian-style Christmas carols playing around the resort. Weather was great. We didn't have any rain while we were there. Temps in the low 70s to low 80s every day. As for when to book, I would book as early as you possibly can--we booked in, I believe July 2016 for 12/2016, and at that time, Christmas dates were not available for what we needed, which was a 2bdrm villa.

Jodybird, are you DVC Members? Did you book exactly at the 7 month window? What type of 2 bedroom were you trying to book?

This past week or so I was listening to a podcast with Clark Howard and someone called in about doing HI during Christmas. Clark mentioned that during that week the prices for airline tickets to HI would be double. He kept trying to convince the caller to go at a different time of the year because they could go somewhere else during Christmas time and go to HI at later time and that would be equal to just going to HI at Christmas. If you do go I wish you a great trip.

Thanks for the heads up. I am, perhaps optimistically, counting on Southwest Airlines to begin service to Oahu in the 1st Quarter of 2018 which SHOULD push fares lower in general, though I am very aware that airfare during Christmas is expensive no matter how you slice it.

Jodybird, are you DVC Members? Did you book exactly at the 7 month window? What type of 2 bedroom were you trying to book?

We are DVC members, but that trip was a cash reservation, so we weren't locked into a booking window. It was a multi-generational family trip. We were actually not picky and were open to whatever 2 bdrm we could get. For the week of Christmas, there was nothing available for our party of 6.

I booked for 1/1 - 1/6. We were due to arrive on Oahu on 12/29 but there was already NOTHING left (DVC rooms) for 12/29 and 12/30. We shifted our plans but all I was able to get was the Grand Villa Ocean View (I know, poor me!) at the 7 mth mark. It was a ton of points and a very discouraging process but at that point, we were glad to get any room and had the points to cover it (even though it's painful!) We are looking forward to spending time there over the holidays but I don't think I will book that week ever, ever again. It was WAY too stressful and way too many points!

We are DVC members, but that trip was a cash reservation, so we weren't locked into a booking window. It was a multi-generational family trip. We were actually not picky and were open to whatever 2 bdrm we could get. For the week of Christmas, there was nothing available for our party of 6.

Thanks. We are likely going to walk our reservation from appx 7 months + 8 days prior to our ideal arrival so hopefully that helps. It is stressful no doubt.

some of the questions i had were:
-What's the weather like in Hawaii that time of year?
-is there a special meal or anything we can attend on Christmas Day?
-forgive my ignorance but with a special time of year like Christmas, how much extra would be appropriate to tip on to those serving you on those days?
-how far in advance would we need to book (looking at a 2 bedroom villa)

-Weather is usually low 80's, mid 60's at night.
-Any holiday meals will most likely be announced in mid to late November. In the past there is a special Christmas dinner held in the Kaiona Ballroom. Ama Ama and Makahiki restaurants usually have a special meal for Christmas day.
-I'm not certain about tipping - I guess depending on the service and your personal choice.
-You might be able to find a 2 bedroom villa - they're pretty booked up and we couldn't find anything. Christmas reservations usually get booked about 4-6 months in advance for cash reservations (I can't speak for DVC) from our experience.

What about the crowds? Either in the resort or popular attractions?

Thanks!

The resort will be packed from dec 24 till Jan 2 or so. It is one of the busiest times of the year (hence the high points cost per night). What attractions are you asking about?

The resort will be packed from dec 24 till Jan 2 or so. It is one of the busiest times of the year (hence the high points cost per night). What attractions are you asking about?
Sorry for the delay, but I meant the Oahu attractions like Haunama Bay, Waimea Valley, Manoa Falls. Are the pools and facilities of the resort itself too busy to enjoy?

North shore can potentially be a mad house if/when waves are 20 ft +. If they get to 30-40 You may need to park several miles away from waimea. when the major surf competitions run...things can also get crazy. The resort itself will be packed (and not just on the weekends). The major attractions are always busy, even more so on holidays...and if the winter is nasty on the mainland...everything is likely to be crazy...schools will be out, so beaches and other places will also be more crowded than usual. Driving from about 10 pm to 1 am on new years eve is also a bad idea as roads near residential areas and even some sections of the freeways can have very little visibility (not as bad as it used to be...). New years day avoid the temples/churches as well as many have large crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter