Choosing between Jet Blue or Allegiant Air

DISfirstTimer

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for opinions on which flight to choose, Jet Blue or Allegiant Air. We will be flying from Upstate, NY in the Winter so poor weather conditions is a strong possibility. Both flights are direct and cost the same. Jet Blue Flys into MCO. Allegiant into Sanford. We plan to rent a car either way. Below are what I feel to be the Pros and Cons of each flight.

Jet Blue
Pros: Daily Flights

Cons: Airport is 2 hours one-way drive
Week Long Parking Fees

Allegiant:
Pros: Airport 20 minutes from home
No Parking Fees
Cons: Only have flights on Wednesday and Saturdays

Other Information: Jet Blue's direct flights leave 8am (thus early morning with 2 kiddos but early to Disney!) Return Flight doesn't come in until 11pm (Late night with 2 kiddos plus 2 hours to drive home but extra day to enjoy!) Allegiant's flights departure and return flights are in the middle of the day.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

JetBlue hands down. If your allegiance flights gets cancelled because of weather you have to wait several days before another flight takes off and if it's full you won't get on it, same for return. Resort airline checkin would be an option for JetBlue flying out of mco, but not alleigant. JetBlue charges for checked bags but not carry on or seat assignment. You need to check those fees on alleigant. Sometimes the cheapest flight isn't always the cheapest.

I'm looking for opinions on which flight to choose, Jet Blue or Allegiant Air. We will be flying from Upstate, NY in the Winter so poor weather conditions is a strong possibility. Both flights are direct and cost the same. Jet Blue Flys into MCO. Allegiant into Sanford. We plan to rent a car either way. Below are what I feel to be the Pros and Cons of each flight.

Jet Blue
Pros: Daily Flights

Cons: Airport is 2 hours one-way drive
Week Long Parking Fees

Allegiant:
Pros: Airport 20 minutes from home
No Parking Fees
Cons: Only have flights on Wednesday and Saturdays

Other Information: Jet Blue's direct flights leave 8am (thus early morning with 2 kiddos but early to Disney!) Return Flight doesn't come in until 11pm (Late night with 2 kiddos plus 2 hours to drive home but extra day to enjoy!) Allegiant's flights departure and return flights are in the middle of the day.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
We've always had reliable flights and good customer service from Jet Blue. I would stick with them.

We like Jet Blue
You could treat yourself to an overnight stay at a local hotel either way or both ways to MCO

But to be fair .. from an airline rating website it says:

Allegiant Air
In Flight Product

• Aircraft are in an economy only configuration
  • Snacks and beverages including water available for purchase on board
  • No in flight entertainment
  • Seat pitch of 30 inch; seat selection can be made at time of booking or up to 24 hours prior for additional fee;
  • No blankets or pillows
  • Baggage allowance needs to be purchased at time of booking and can be bought in 18kg increments
  • Founded in 1997
  • Aircraft Types
    • A319
    • A320
    • MD80
    • 757-200
AND

JetBlue Airways
In Flight Product
  • Small snack (chips, peanuts, etc) and nonalcoholic beverages provided complimentary; snack boxes and alcoholic beverages available for purchase
  • Personal seatback screens showing 36 TV channels complimentary; movies can be purchased; Wi-Fi available across the entire fleet
  • Seat pitch of 34 inch; extra space seats with seat pitch of 38 inch available for fee but those seats backing onto an emergency exit do not recline
  • Blankets and pillows available for fee; eye shades and ear plugs provided complimentary on night flights as well as a hot towel
  • Baggage allowance of 1 x 23kg bag complimentary; extra luggage can be purchased
  • The airline offers passengers the choice to have their bag delivered to their business/home/hotel for a fee at selected ports rather than having to wait for their baggage at the traditional baggage carousel
    • Commenced operations in 1999 as a low cost carrier
    • X Factors
      • Guaranteed personal screen at every seat with a choice of 36 channels
      • Generous seat pitch in economy on A320s at 34 inch
      • Winner of the AirlineRatings.com Best Low Cost Carrier award for the Americas 2014
    Aircraft Types
    • Embraer 190
    • A320
Your choice - but we favor Jet Blue :)

Make sure you consider the cost of all of the fees with Allegiant. Checked bag. Carryon bag, if I recall correctly. Choosing a seat.

I agree with PP that if your Allegiant flight gets cancelled, you're in trouble. Not sure which airports you are considering. What other airlines fly out of the two airports for your flights to Florida? For example, SYR would have other airlines as well as Jetblue, giving you more options if there is a problem with your flight.

I mostly fly discount airlines these days, but only because they are so much cheaper. With the flights costing the same amount I'd choose Jetblue no contest. Even with the additional drive time.

JetBlue!

Our allegiant horror story. Flight number a beautiful summer day across the country gets cancelled 2 hours before the flight is scheduled to depart.
Reason, they decided to use the plane in a more profitable area that day. The time could offer a flight out 4 days later on standby no guarantee.
We paid an arm and a leg to fly out same day with JetBlue. They couldn't have been nicer to my children.

We ultimately we given 4 voucher to fly Allegiant and I still won't fly them even if it's free

I say jetBlue too, totally worth the drive. I know you said upstate NY, if you are close to either Ottawa or Montreal check out Westjet too. David Needleman who founded jetBlue, is also one of the founders of West jet so I assume they have got to be a similar product.

We like Jet Blue
You could treat yourself to an overnight stay at a local hotel either way or both ways to MCO

Check hotels near the airport you are considering for Jet Blue. There are hotels near many airports that include an airport shuttle and free parking while you are gone along with the cost of a room. If you can find this type of hotel, and the cost of the room is comparable to your weekly parking fees, then you can get a little more for your $$ besides just parking. You will be able to sleep in a little later, relax knowing you are already close to the airport for your early flight, and even feel like you are starting your vacation a night early!

What airport is the Jet Blue flight from?

We like Jet Blue

But to be fair .. from an airline rating website it says:

Allegiant Air
In Flight Product

• Aircraft are in an economy only configuration
  • Snacks and beverages including water available for purchase on board
  • No in flight entertainment
  • Seat pitch of 30 inch; seat selection can be made at time of booking or up to 24 hours prior for additional fee;
  • No blankets or pillows
  • Baggage allowance needs to be purchased at time of booking and can be bought in 18kg increments
  • Founded in 1997
  • Aircraft Types
    • A319
    • A320
    • MD80
    • 757-200
AND

JetBlue Airways
In Flight Product

• Small snack (chips, peanuts, etc) and nonalcoholic beverages provided complimentary; snack boxes and alcoholic beverages available for purchase
    • Personal seatback screens showing 36 TV channels complimentary; movies can be purchased; Wi-Fi available across the entire fleet
    • Seat pitch of 34 inch; extra space seats with seat pitch of 38 inch available for fee but those seats backing onto an emergency exit do not recline
    • Blankets and pillows available for fee; eye shades and ear plugs provided complimentary on night flights as well as a hot towel
    • Baggage allowance of 1 x 23kg bag complimentary; extra luggage can be purchased
    • The airline offers passengers the choice to have their bag delivered to their business/home/hotel for a fee at selected ports rather than having to wait for their baggage at the traditional baggage carousel
      • Commenced operations in 1999 as a low cost carrier
      • X Factors
        • Guaranteed personal screen at every seat with a choice of 36 channels
        • Generous seat pitch in economy on A320s at 34 inch
        • Winner of the AirlineRatings.com Best Low Cost Carrier award for the Americas 2014
      Aircraft Types
      • Embraer 190
      • A320
Your choice - but we favor Jet Blue :)

Just to update but jetblue no longer gives a free check bag. You can buy a fare where it is included but we have actually found buying the base fare then paying for the bag is actually cheaper then the included fare.

OP Jetblue hands down. Even when Jetblue messes up they have always made it right. Also if worried about snow Jetblue often will take a cautious approach and give you free changes unlike other airlines that wait until the last minute.

This is probably late, but DON'T do Allegiant. It is the "Dollar Store" version of airlines and there is a very good chance your flight will become delayed. They use old planes which often malfunction and cause serious delays without refund or compensation. It is worth the extra time/money to fly Jet Blue because then you know you will get to your vacation on time. Also, the one time Jet Blue did have a 2 hour delay they gave each passenger a $150 credit.

This is probably late, but DON'T do Allegiant. It is the "Dollar Store" version of airlines and there is a very good chance your flight will become delayed. They use old planes which often malfunction and cause serious delays without refund or compensation. It is worth the extra time/money to fly Jet Blue because then you know you will get to your vacation on time. Also, the one time Jet Blue did have a 2 hour delay they gave each passenger a $150 credit.

Just about everyone uses old planes; aircraft last darned-near forever if you maintain them properly. The difference with Allegiant is that they are notoriously lax about maintaining them. Their maintenance record is so poor that I'm afraid that one of these days they will have a maintenance-related catastrophic crash. Example: In a single day last week, they had two different aircraft lose air-conditioning, causing passengers on each plane to require medical attention due to the excessive heat. (One of the aircraft was en route from PIE to Indianapolis, it turned around and came back halfway. The other was delayed on the runway waiting for takeoff at LAS.)

Just about everyone uses old planes; aircraft last darned-near forever if you maintain them properly. The difference with Allegiant is that they are notoriously lax about maintaining them. Their maintenance record is so poor that I'm afraid that one of these days they will have a maintenance-related catastrophic crash. Example: In a single day last week, they had two different aircraft lose air-conditioning, causing passengers on each plane to require medical attention due to the excessive heat. (One of the aircraft was en route from PIE to Indianapolis, it turned around and came back halfway. The other was delayed on the runway waiting for takeoff at LAS.)
Good to know! Regardless, they do not offer compensation. I was on a Jet Blue flight and delayed for two hours and they gave us air credit. Allegiant on the other hand....:rolleyes:

If there were to be any kind of issue, and your flight was cancelled, you might find yourself stuck somewhere, for days, with Allegient. With so few flights, it would be hard to get on another flight that day, or even the next day.
I would drive the two hours and take JB....even if it meant staying overnight at a place near the airport....coming and going.

I booked my extended family on a SFB-SDF Allegiant flight for late October because all other MCO-SDF/IND/CVG flights were $300+ for the one ways (other than 8am or earlier flights). Allegieant was $125 all in with seat fee + bags. For 6 people I saved almost $1200. I want to use some of that savings to buy trip insurance. Does anyone know of a policy that if they were severely delayed by over 12 hours the policy would cover new, walk up fares out of MCO?

I booked my extended family on a SFB-SDF Allegiant flight for late October because all other MCO-SDF/IND/CVG flights were $300+ for the one ways (other than 8am or earlier flights). Allegieant was $125 all in with seat fee + bags. For 6 people I saved almost $1200. I want to use some of that savings to buy trip insurance. Does anyone know of a policy that if they were severely delayed by over 12 hours the policy would cover new, walk up fares out of MCO?

This page has a fairly good rundown of what kind of coverage is offered: http://www.travelinsurancereview.net/coverages/travel-delay/#cover
Note that you usually have a very limited time after purchase of the airfare to purchase trip insurance, the presumption is that if you buy it long after the fact, it's because you are *planning* to cancel.

Where I see a problem with your scenario is that coverage is usually limited to about 1.5x the cost of the original ticket. If you only paid $125 per on Allegiant, that means the payout would only be $188; that is REALLY unlikely to cover a walk-up fare, which normally run about $300 one-way. SWA or Frontier is your best bet in that scenario, but Frontier will really nail you on baggage fees on a walk-up fare: $60 per bag. Staying overnight near MCO and flying out the following day would probably save a bit more, because a 24 hour advance purchase is not actually a walk-up fare.

The most affordable option is to be prepared to drive home. A one-way rental for a vehicle large enough for 6 is likely to cost you about $500, but if you reserve it well in advance you will get a better deal, and if you time the reservation right, you would be able to cancel it at no penalty if it was not needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter