Choices!?!?

Beachwood58

Earning My Ears
Hi y’all! I’m renting DVC for an upcoming mother/daughter trip with my 12 year old in October. It looks like I’ve narrowed it down to Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or Boardwalk Villas. I may, if people think it’s really, really worth the price jump, book Copper Creek at Wilderness. Can you recommend a first pick from the first three, and, should I just splurge and book Copper Creek, and why? I’m concerned about transportation to parks and amenities.

Hi y’all! I’m renting DVC for an upcoming mother/daughter trip with my 12 year old in October. It looks like I’ve narrowed it down to Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or Boardwalk Villas. I may, if people think it’s really, really worth the price jump, book Copper Creek at Wilderness. Can you recommend a first pick from the first three, and, should I just splurge and book Copper Creek, and why? I’m concerned about transportation to parks and amenities.
I would just mention that when you're pricing things out to not base that on Value Studios for Animal Kingdom or Standard Studios at Boardwalk (they won't be available). We really enjoy Animal Kingdom but really I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options. It just depends what resort you personally like the most based on style, location, etc.

With a 12 year old, you'll be quite active...if she is a MK kind of kid then it's CCV or if she likes EPCOT and or the Studios then it's BW area. AKL is stunning and we love it, but it's probably not the best choice transportation wise...a long bus ride everywhere. Having just returned from OKW (our home and we love it), the buses weren't reliable for us this year and we had an 11 night stay so it wasn't like it was just a bad weekend or anything but it didn't matter much for our style of vacation. Time is worth way more than money at Disney and the money you "save" as you sit and wait endlessly for a bus to/from parks will seem frustratingly small. If you need to save that difference there are many strategies to save on meal costs - which I think is the easiest way to save. Your choice of resort will make or break your trip. Enjoy your trip!

You really can't go wrong with any of them. It all depends on what you want out of a resort. I think a 12 yr. old would really love AKL, my DS was still impressed with it when we stayed there when he was 17 and my DD still loves it at 16. However, we also love OKW and CCV (both of which are homes for us). CCV is stunning and just a quick boat ride to MK. I love that feeling I get walking into the lobby, I get all the feels walking in there. OKW gives me the I'm away from it all feeling and is one of the more relaxing places and since I love to shop, it's right there by Disney Springs. We have not yet stayed at the Boardwalk, but have visited and love the atmosphere and how close it is to EPCOT. All good choices! Have fun choosing.

You are getting late on booking BWV for October. CCV studios can be very hard to book because there are so few and many owners there only bought enough points to book studios. AKV shouldn't be as difficult to book for Oct. We love OKW because the studio has two real queen beds instead of a single queen bed and sleeper sofa. Boulder Ridge might be a bit easier to book for October.

We aren't supposed to check availability for specific dates, but you didn't ask for specific dates, so I will just tell you this up front: Take CCV off the table. I just looked, and you aren't getting it.

As previously stated, if you're looking at BWV Standard or AKV Value, those are also not real options for you and should be removed from your consideration.

OKW has the 2 real beds, but BWV has the trundle (which my 11 y/o daughter loves). We like to keep the sofa as a sofa/sitting area. Boulder Ridge (at WL) also has the trundle and would be a great location for a mother/daughter trip. I don't believe it's much (if any) more expensive than BWV (P/G view not standard as PP mentioned). AKV is also fun - and yes, there are buses, but there are only 2 stops (Kidani, then Jambo) and I find them much faster than SSR or OKW transport to parks.

Understand that you need to "narrow it down" to a choice very quickly. You wait another month and the only thing left may be OKW and SSR, and even those can be at risk. You want a high DVC demand time of the year. You are now 9-10 months out and rooms started disappearing at 11-months out. Typical by this time for October is that AKV value and club level studios are gone, likewise majority of dates for Jambo standard studios and soon savanna view will also be filling; Kidani will stay open a little longer. BWV standard and boardwalk view studios are likely already gone, and pool/garden view may disappear within weeks. CCV studios are likely already gone.

Last edited:
OKW has the 2 real beds, but BWV has the trundle (which my 11 y/o daughter loves). We like to keep the sofa as a sofa/sitting area. Boulder Ridge (at WL) also has the trundle and would be a great location for a mother/daughter trip. I don't believe it's much (if any) more expensive than BWV (P/G view not standard as PP mentioned). AKV is also fun - and yes, there are buses, but there are only 2 stops (Kidani, then Jambo) and I find them much faster than SSR or OKW transport to parks.
They aren't really trundles since they don't slide under the bed. They are murphy beds that fold down and the bed is considered to be bunk sized. So narrower and shorter than a twin bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!