CHOC Walk Questions

pharmama

DIS Veteran
Just got reminded about the CHOC walk on another thread and its a weekend I already had a trip planned with DD9. So now we're going to embrace it and do the walk (and got a super cheap rate at GCH!).

I have a couple of questions for those who have done the CHOC walk before. I am a west coast runDisney veteran of sorts (5 past events) and I know this isn't a run. I'm not really a runner anyway- I just found the events to be a ton of fun- but maybe I'm kinda hoping it will fill the runDisney hole a bit for me since they've suspended events out here.

Do people dress up for the CHOC walk (walk/run appropriate costumes)?

I realize the course may be different this year but in the past has the course included any backstage portions like the runDisney ones do?

Its a fundraiser for Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC)
https://www.chocwalk.org/
5K walk through DL and DCA the morning of August 26th (this year) prior to park opening (so park opens a bit later than normal that day).

... Do people dress up for the CHOC walk (walk/run appropriate costumes)?

I realize the course may be different this year but in the past has the course included any backstage portions like the runDisney ones do?

First off, thank you for signing up and joining the fun instead of complaining and freaking out! You and your daughter are going to have so much fun!

Here is a video of last year's Walk to give you an idea of how people dress and what the course was like:
. The course is an easy walk through both parks, can include backstage areas (not always), and is different every year. It's not a race, so do stop for the M&Gs and photo ops! So fun! We've seen walkers dress up, but most usually wear comfortable athletic garb. Teams wear matching t-shirts. Many walkers wear matching ears or custom ears. We've done Disney Bound outfits -- like something you might see at a runDisney event, but not so fancy. It's really up to you. But it can get really warm, so make sure that you're comfortable, whatever outfit you choose. And many walkers will go right from the Walk to the ticket booths to the parks, so they dress for the day.

Thank you for the link and info theluckyrabbit! I think DD and I will plan some mild costumes. But I'll leave my full runDisney Jessie get up at home. :rotfl2:

Attachments

• jessie.JPG
    jessie.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 10

I like to call it the CHOC shuffle as there are sooo many people that it is a very slow walk for the majority of the walk. I have seen people dressed up in the pass, but nothing too crazy maybe more like disney bounding and tutus and the like. Most groups will have matching shirts for the kids they are walking for or for the group that they are with with. It is a lot of fun and tons of energy throughout the entire walk. Thank you for supporting!

I like to call it the CHOC shuffle as there are sooo many people that it is a very slow walk for the majority of the walk. I have seen people dressed up in the pass, but nothing too crazy maybe more like disney bounding and tutus and the like. Most groups will have matching shirts for the kids they are walking for or for the group that they are with with. It is a lot of fun and tons of energy throughout the entire walk. Thank you for supporting!

The CHOC shuffle- I like it :) I should have mentioned that I am a pediatric pharmacist so it certainly wasn't a stretch for me to get out there and support a great facility like CHOC. Looking forward to the fun!

I have done CHOC walk several times. It is a wonderful event and I will be doing it again this year. Very uplifting. I like the CHOC shuffle nentioned above. To move a little faster, you want to be as near to the front as possible, so make sure to be at the gates as early as possible so you can be further forward during opening ceremonies. I am walking with a friend this year who recently lost her nephew to cancer - he was a CHOC patient - and we are planning to be there super early to be right up front to honor Connor's memory.

Definitely bring some tissues! I end up reaching for mine every year -- for happy and sad reasons. Last year I walked part of the way with the nicest woman who told me about her daughter who had recently passed away. The whole family was walking to honor her memory. They all were so excited to be there. Really inspiring!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!