China Trip report - Adults only May 2018

@calypso726, I haven’t had much time today but as soon as I saw a post about your health scare from your friends over in the I love credit cards thread, I just had to rush over here to see if you were ok. Your account is harrowing, but I’m so glad it all worked out in the end and you and DH were still able to enjoy the last day of your ABD tour. I’ve followed your trip report enough to know that you know that you couldn’t have planned this trip or managed the unexpected things that came up on your own. I can’t imagine having to deal with a health scare like you went through as tourists on your own, and I’m relieved to read that ABD knew who to call, where to take you, and kept you in good hands all along the way. Way to go, Disney! Now, get some rest and stay alive! The Plane Princess can’t do all this travel hacking in one player mode!

Oh my! Your story brought tears to my eyes. I am glad you are going to be okay. You and your husband must have been so scared! This really speaks to how great ABD and their guides are. I know someone who was in China on business and got a kidney stone. He had an awful experience and ended up walking out of the hospital!

Thank you for the reminder of why we spend the extra $$ to travel with ABD. It sounds like they couldn't have handled things better. Hooray for our great ABD guides!!

Hey @calypso726!! Like @Lain, I’ve not been on the DIS much today but had to post here to let you know that I’m thinking about you. Your story is so scary! I’m glad you are going to be ok and have had good people to care for you. Hugs! Get rested and check in when you can!

Just a pile on wishing you well and speedy recovery and hoping you can enjoy the rest of your trip without further trouble! When we didn't hear from you for a while I was hoping it was you were having so much fun there was just no time to post and not that you had an illness. So glad you had excellent help and care from ABD!
We had some health issues come up when we were in Rome and all I could think about is if we had to go the hospital I have no idea where it is/how good it is and way not enough language skills to keep up so we'd have to hope for some good English speakers (which is easier to find in Italy than China). Just so glad you were on a good tour and got the assistance you needed.

Calypso,

So sorry you and your husband had such a terrifying incident. It was good that you knew what Bell's Palsy was. Just want to echo everyone's wishes for a quick recovery and hope you enjoy the rest of the trip. It sounds like you have planned a wonderful trip to Japan's Disney parks before your flight home. I hope you booked one of those first class airplane cabins.

Kathy

@calypso726 - just read your update and so glad everything turned out "ok". Bell's Palsy is no fun (frightening until you know for sure that's all it was) but so glad it wasn't the alternative. All I could think of while reading your update was that, thank goodness it was on an ABD. For being on vacation, that's possibly nearly the best scenario for anything untoward happening. I'm glad you got such good care. Safe travels as you finish your adventure!

Hi all! Ok, I’m going to try and wrap up the trip report. Our next hotel was the Shanghai Peninsula which is another stunning hotel! We found out that Chris Pratt was staying there with the JP film crew. I didn’t see him but some of our fellow ABD guests did. We had a debrief in how to use the tech in our rooms and went to a really cool Cirque du Soleil like show called ERA. We had awesome seats and the show was great! The next day we visited the Yu Gardens which were lovely. Afterwards we got to enjoy Shanghai Disney!

64CC9606-FDFE-4403-BE45-3AD929ADD552.jpeg

C74858FC-E954-47B5-BE29-B6E2A5664CB4.jpeg

DD707A42-169F-4C5C-B5BA-D9E5066CCA7E.jpeg

41367251-A09D-4DD3-8362-FF74A8191BCB.jpeg

125E11C8-EEB4-4AC4-B1E4-EAB8404BC92E.jpeg

1492CDF1-8FF6-40B3-9A0B-474DF910008D.jpeg

11A7A2FF-4D44-488A-8195-BC5D3A18593F.jpeg

7ABB6558-33D6-411F-BE2E-A34F465F3F6A.jpeg

Ok, so now I’d like to extend my deepest gratitude for all of the well wishes, thoughts, prayers and concern that everyone here has shared with me. I cannot tell you all how touched and grateful I am. The outpouring of support and kind thoughts was greatly appreciated and brought me to tears.

I am as well as can be expected with a Bell’s Palsy episode. Eating, drinking, smiling are challenging. I need to keep my eye covered and or taped shut so it doesn’t dry out. I cannot blink that eye. I did not cut my trip short to go home as I’d have the same challenges at home as I do here at Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea. I’d rather be here and complete my Grand Slam of all Disney Parks in the world. Mission Accomplished! These two parks have absolutely ruined me for all Disney Parks in every single aspect. What we have at home wishes it could be what this is here. No words. Just WOW! Thanks all for following along!!!

What an adventure! Thanks for taking us along with you. Here's to a complete and speedy recovery as you settle back in at home.

A bit of advice for those who plan to do this trip. There are 5 internal flights and the airlines can be pretty brutal on luggage. We purchased luggage covers mostly to spot our bags quickly and because they looked fun. So glad we did! They are absolutely FILTHY and they each have small tears, nicks and holes. Our luggage remains clean and completely intact with no tears, nicks or holes and still looks brand new. They stretch really well which is great when you overstuff the bag with souvenirs. We got them on Amazon. Just search for luggage cover and lots of them will pop up.

680F03BF-1801-46B5-8A5F-4E84CFB22C5B.jpeg

Good tip! My Eagle Creek bag actually got a crack in it on our ABD China trip. Of course, Tinkerbell took care of it with packing tape before I even noticed it:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter