childless disney nerd with 2 days! questions about time, cost and practicality...

alagator19

Earning My Ears
Hi from the Canadian Prairies!
Well, i always read these boards and listen to podcasts and i've been to WDW 2x. As a university student I was a disney princess for birthday parties (rapunzel, elsa and cinderella thank you very much!) and never thought i would be posting a question about my upcoming trip! I am a pretty determined young lady with fast legs and no kids as i think this information is helpful.

I am going with a not-so-much disney fan but he is giving me TWO days with the mouse! He says he is game for EVERYTHING. Here are my questions:

1.) Park hopper or no park hopper? We are staying off site and driving in both days. Is it better to just do one park a day? (this also means we can park closer to each respective theme park)

2.) max pass- kind of on the fence over the extra 60.00 (US!!!) because i felt that at WDW i fast-passed like a BOSS. Is it worth it?

3.) Parking, is it worth it to park in the allocated parking lots or would i be okay just parking off site at some of the hotels?

I know 2 days is not much. At WDW it would NEVER be enough time but i DO know from reading and listening to you guys DLR is much smaller. Is DLR doable in two days with no kids? :D

Have a magical day!
Ally

Perhaps a mod could move this to the DL section?

I’d say no parkhopper just because I don’t like moving around parks in the middle of the day, but if you’re fine with that get park hopper I guess. The parks are literally face to face.

Yes, for a trip as short as yours MaxPass is worth it!!! First off if you “FPed like a BOSS” at WDW, assuming that this was after FP+ came along, you’d probably do better with the all-digital MaxPass. Second off, MaxPass reduces a lot of time, which isn’t necessary if you’re staying for a while, but for a visit of only two days for two parks it’s so worth it. Plus it’s super convenient, being able to grab a MaxPass without heading somewhere AND being able to make reservations waiting for rope drop AND while in line for another attraction!

DLR may be smaller but has almost the same amount of attractions WDW does. You will not be able to see everything at both parks in two days. But if you throw aside a handful of attractions that you won’t try to do (but will if you have time), and are efficient and knowledgable with how to use FP/MP, you should do whatever you really want to do and second priorities. Do not expect to see everything, however. DLR may be smaller in size, but it is NOT smaller in attraction amount!

1.) Park hopper or no park hopper? We are staying off site and driving in both days. Is it better to just do one park a day? (this also means we can park closer to each respective theme park)

You'll park in the same place. The parks are literally just across the concourse from each other. Think EP with Future World and World Showcase. DL and CA are almost that close together. I would definitely get park hopper.

I think park hopper and max pass are well worth it. I’ve never paid for parking, we always walk from our hotel. How far away are you staying?

ETA- I’ve never actually bought a park hopper (we do APs), but I really don’t like being stuck in only one park (which I’ve experienced when someone we are visiting the park with doesn’t buy hoppers)

2.) max pass- kind of on the fence over the extra 60.00 (US!!!) because i felt that at WDW i fast-passed like a BOSS. Is it worth it?

Obviously the most expensive option but I say park hoppers and MP are a must. The MP system is not at all like FP+ at WDW. If you do not purchase MP you will be running from FP machine to FP machine. With MP you can book through the app once you've scanned into at least one park that day and you can get another MP sooner than a paper FP (MP is 90min between reservations, paper FP is 2hrs). You will also get all your Photopass photos included with MP. That said, if you guys are willing to Single Rider a bunch of stuff then you may not need MP.

The parks are very close together. Given that you said you like to move quickly and get a lot done I think you might feel constrained by 1 park per day tickets. It's very easy to hop back and forth between and do a few rides in one park or the other before hopping back, grab an afternoon adult beverage in DCA (no alcohol in DL except in Oga's Cantina in SWGE and you must finish your drink in the cantina) etc.

Also on the parking near each park- this does not matter. The entrances to the parks face each other and are only a couple hundred yards apart. So while it may seem like, say, the Toy Story lot is geographically closer to DCA, it doesn't matter at all because you will be brought to the same tram dropoff and security/bag check entrance point and then will just make a right for DL or a left for DCA and walk a short distance to the respective gate. Same thing with the other parking structure- it all ends up at what is called the Esplanade between the two parks.

3.) Parking, is it worth it to park in the allocated parking lots or would i be okay just parking off site at some of the hotels?

If you mean just trying to park in the lot of one of the nearby hotels that you are not staying at, this isn't really an option. Many of the hotels have pretty limited parking and its typically restricted to hotel guests. Some hotels will allow non guests to park but they typically charge as much or more than DL parking. I would not plan on doing this. There are lots of good hotel options easy walking distance to the parks if you can consider staying nearby for those two days you may be much happier.

I know 2 days is not much. At WDW it would NEVER be enough time but i DO know from reading and listening to you guys DLR is much smaller. Is DLR doable in two days with no kids? :D

I think so if you're willing to move fast and maximize use of MaxPass. You may also want to make sure you know what rides and entertainment are "must dos" vs. "nice to do" for you so you can better prioritize in case you do run out of time. Will you be able to do EVERYTHING? No, but I think you can have a really great couple of days and hit most of the highlights for sure!

Where are you staying, and when? Unless you're staying someplace with friends or AirBnB or something, I'd look into a close hotel that you can walk from. Parking is a pain and it's hard to get there in time for rope drop.

Parkhoppers are worth it.
MaxPass is also very worth it, especially with a short trip.

You probably would want to look into some of the sticky threads at the top of this forum, most notably "Hydroguy's Tips Compilation" including "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" and also Skyegirl1999's "Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" . These are super helpful for how to maximize your touring. Edited to add: I forgot to mention Disneyland Daily; she has terrific tips and ready made plans that you could do one park each day if you wanted. See her post and all the links to daily strategies HERE .

Sounds like a fun trip! Your friend may be surprised at how much he enjoys it. My hubby is Mr. Engineer, practical, stoic, etc but he was kind of astonished at how the cheerful and fun atmosphere affected him. We did a trip with just the two of us in 2016 and had a wonderful time. Enjoy!

We didn't do Park Hopper when we were there, but that was to keep the kids from begging to go to the other park all day long. For an adults only trip, I would do Park Hopper if you can swing the extra money.

However, if you have to prioritize park hopper or max pass, I pick max pass every day of the week. It was totally worth the extra money to be able to pull fast passes for one ride while standing in line for another. You will maximize your time that way.

If you can swing both financially, then do both and barring any unforeseen circumstances (ie a ride going down), you should be able to do everything you want to do. We did everything multiple times in a 3 day trip WITH kids, so I know you can do it in 2 days without!

Re: Parking - the parking is expensive! If you can stay in a walkable hotel, I think it will be well worth your while. I believe parking is currently $25 a day, whereas the hotels are usually only $10ish a day, but you can only park there if you are staying there.

PS - my husband was the "we don't ever need to go to Disney" guy. Waste of money, not that special, blah blah blah. I finally convinced him that we should take our nephews for their Christmas present last year, and he was planning our next trip before the first day was over. So it's quite possible there will be some pixie dust and your friend will find it just as magical as you do!

i did some looking on there but again, alot of info for those with wee ones. i will keep looking though!

I think so if you're willing to move fast and maximize use of MaxPass. You may also want to make sure you know what rides and entertainment are "must dos" vs. "nice to do" for you so you can better prioritize in case you do run out of time. Will you be able to do EVERYTHING? No, but I think you can have a really great couple of days and hit most of the highlights for sure!

I remembered that my DD14 and her two friends set themselves a challenge of going on every single ride when we were there over Memorial Day weekend and they DID accomplish it. We had 2 1/2 days in the parks and not just 2 but they didn't decide on this challenge until part way through day 1 and we also used some time on some longer meals and seeing Fantasmic! The partial day was really only a few hours as they didn't get up very early so I take it back- I do think, if you were just focused on rides, you could ride everything in 2 days. But that doesn't leave a ton of time for table service restaurants or shows. It may also depend a bit on park hours when you're there.

With park hoppers and max pass (and 4 kids) we can generally do rides so many times we're a little meh about all of them after 2 days. If you're in it for efficiency, get hoppers and MP and research a little strategy.

Some threads with very good information for you:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- TONS of helpful information here!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- since you've already visited WDW, this thread will help you know what to expect and how to be prepared for the difference and similarities between WDW and DLR
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- so much good information here!
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- with only 2 days, stay close! Walking distance will really help save time, money, sanity, wear and tear on your legs and feet, etc. some of the hotels right across the street are closer than the on site hotels.
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- study up on DLR's FP/MP and ask all questions here!
"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyore www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297 -- very helpful information here!

Read through these threads and come back with more questions! We're here to help!

What are your trip dates? Certain times of year can be very crowded at DLR and require more organized planning. Yes, you can see and do a LOT in 2 days at DLR with a good plan in place. But... that doesn't mean 2 days will be enough!
Parking at the Disney lots is currently US$25/day (with in & out privileges). Compare that to ride share costs to/from wherever you'll be staying. There is a drop off/pick up lot just outside the Harbor entrance and one by DTD.
To get the most out of your day, you'll want to be at the gates for RD and have a good MP strategy in place.
MP allows you to get FPs on your smartphone for one park while you're still in the other park -- that is a great perk! It also allows you to grab cancelled FPs that other guests have thrown back into the pool. With only 2 days, MP used well can be totally worth the investment.

Last edited:
Hi from the Canadian Prairies!
Well, i always read these boards and listen to podcasts and i've been to WDW 2x. As a university student I was a disney princess for birthday parties (rapunzel, elsa and cinderella thank you very much!) and never thought i would be posting a question about my upcoming trip! I am a pretty determined young lady with fast legs and no kids as i think this information is helpful.

I am going with a not-so-much disney fan but he is giving me TWO days with the mouse! He says he is game for EVERYTHING. Here are my questions:

Have a magical day!
Ally

1. For DLR, a big fat YES to park hoppers! The parks are right next to each other. No bus needed. We go back and forth a couple times a day depending on what FP's we can get.

2. MP, another big fat YES! It is so nice not to cross the park to get a FP. As I do love the traditional FP (not a huge fan of FP+ as WDW, but it is what it is) MP integrates the best of both worlds. Traditional FP, plus convenience of getting them through your smart phone. Win-Win

3. Can't answer. We stay onsite and Uber it in from LAX. Sorry I can't help with that.

You will never see it all in 2 days, but you can get a lot accomplished. We typically do 3 days. Have a great trip!! :)

Depending on how far the airbnb is, it might be worth it to just Uber or Lyft from there. Parking in the structure is a chore and takes a while...

MaxPass and park hoppers are a definite YES

My only caveat on Maxpass is to make sure you have internet/data on your phone plan. A lot of plans here in the U.S. have free data; I didn't realize other countries did not until my family came to visit last year 😅

My only caveat on Maxpass is to make sure you have internet/data on your phone plan. A lot of plans here in the U.S. have free data; I didn't realize other countries did not until my family came to visit last year 😅
Agree! And make sure that you download the latest version of the DLR app and that your phone can handle it. (People report that older phones can have problems with the app.) Also have battery back up for your phone, especially if you also plan to use the Disney Play app.
DLR does have free wifi, but it is nothing like the free wifi at WDW. It is much weaker and only available at certain hot spot locations in the parks (shown on the map). Many people choose to use their own data plans or to use an inexpensive international SIM card to avoid roaming fees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter