Child With Trauma - How To Cope?

When my DGD was that age she had specific reactions to her environment, but they made no sense to anyone but her. For instance, he could not stand noise, the vacuum or leaf blowers scared the sock s off of her, yet fireworks were fine. Anyway, DD would rent one of the large Disney strollers for her, bring her a light blanket, and somethings for her to do when she got overwhelmed or overstimulated. She would simply go to the stroller and lean back and use the ipod or whatever it was that my DD had to occupy her, and that would tune out the confusion around her. She did this until she was around 6. I think even at 8 when we went and the crowds got crazy one day, DD rented her a stroller so she could escape if need be. She was not ready to leave the parks but she did need a "quiet" spot for a little while.

I would plan ahead to be sure your child has a "safety zone" if he gets overwhelmed by the constant "clutter" that WDW can be.

You mentioned the weighted blanket is important. How easy is it to get one if the first one is lost? Is it important enough to bring you two with you?

Thanks. Yes we have a weighted blanket which he uses at night. We're definitly going to bring that with us.

This might seem like a silly suggestion, but make sure you fold the blanket and put it on the dresser or in the closet every morning, so it doesn't accidentally get grabbed by housekeeping and washed with the rest of the bedding.

I hope your trip is incredibly magical. I've no experience with what you're going through, so all I can offer is good thoughts.

My daughter has similar issues
I have always brought a stroller or wheelchair until she was around 8 and brought her iPad and headphones. We also use the DAS pass. I always give her a "warning" about what is next (After this, we will do this, Showed her menus BEFORE we go to the restaurant, etc.) Prepare him as much as you can ahead of time. Go slow. Take breaks. Use FP and DAS (my daughter would be a harm to herself and others in regular lines - throwing herself onto the floor, into rails etc)
As tempting as it is to eat whatever, I still try to limit her sugar and food dye consumption even while there. There is a sugar free strawberry popsicle at the ice cream stands. Popcorn is good. Mickey Check Meals etc

Good luck! feel free to message me if you have specific questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter