Child Identification threads?

LadyTrampScamp&Angel

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

I'm having trouble finding threads on this subject although I know it's been often discussed. Maybe 'cause I can't search on "ID" as it's too few characters.

So- would anyone be able to give me some links on this subject? Or even repeat your tips here. On our last trip I tried using some labels stuck to the back of my kids shirts but they didn't cling well and came off. I need something durable and my kids can't remove!

Thanks very much :)

You read my mind!! :earseek: My sister was asking me this very question for her 3 year old. The key part being something she won't take off! I've heard of putting luggage tags or something that will clip to a belt loop but am also hoping for some ideas in case she's wearing something without loops!

Please help!

:) Our local Wal-Mart has a machine that makes dog tags like the ones used for the military. They engranve with whatever information you want to put on them and our girls wear theirs any time we are at an event where there is a big crowd.

We won't be leaving for another couple of months for WDW, yeah its our first time, and we have also thought of having passport type ID's made for them at Staples or Office Depot. That is another option.:Pinkbounc

Petsmart has tags that are under a magnifying glass. (Remember when you'd have your picture taken at an amusement park, and you'd pick it up at the gate? It'd be a little box that you looked into? Along those lines....)

They have these and have spaces not just for ID, but for allergies and such. They were designed for dogs, but would work equally well with a child. You do have to send away to have the information filled out and printed, so you'd need to buy it well in advance.

They also have a little tube with a sheet of paper rolled up with all the same info.

I feel bad suggesting these since they were designed for dogs, but like I said, would work equally well with a child!

Both have a little ring that could easily attach to a necklace, or one of those ties that goes around your neck.

I purchased 2 cards from my daughters daycare last year. The card is called : Ident-a-kid and it contains her picture, the issue date, her height, weight, dob, eye and hair color. It also lists my address and name.

On the back is her right thumbprint along with what to do if your child is missing.

I placed a label over that part of the card with dates and hotels we were staying at. I punched a hole in it and placed it on a beaded necklace. She wore it every day. I carried a copy in my wallet. It gave me some peace of mind.

Ident-A-Kid Online

Try
www.id-inside.com
or:
for a girl - try a locket with info inside
or
laminate a picture of the entire family with info printed on back (hotel-cell phone) this ensures id of family when retrieving lost child! then put in fanny-pack, pocket, or pin in a discreat location!

Some good suggestions and links - thanks very much.

My DS is almost 6 so wearing something around his neck or an ID bracelet would work. It's the little one that poses more of a problem. My DD just turned 2 and I don't like putting things around her neck really. I've heard of putting the dog tags on a shoe lace so that would work. Also found a link for some ID that sticks inside their shoes http://www.yoursafechild.com/ss.htm

We were at WDW recently and I can't believe how close my DH came to losing DD in MK. He was on crutches, I left him with DD back near Mickey and Minnie's houses, there was a small enclosed play area. I thought he could just sit and watch her while I took DS through the houses. Well, as we walked back I asked DH where DD was, I didn't see her in the play area and sure enough she had escaped! My DH at least had sharp eyes 'cause he spied her first but she was out of the play area and headed off into the crowd. Man, was I mad! I ran after her 'cause DH couldn't and I heard some other parent types saying "oh, here's Mom". Some people already were concerned to see this toddler making her way through the crowd alone - a good thing but it was VERY scary. You know most people are good but it's thinking a child might encounter one of those few bad ones that terrifies you.

I need to get some of those child I.D. kits for them also. I know it's important to have all your info together.

Thanks again and if anyone else has ideas, please list them!

Thanks jldriscoll! I just went to the thread that you posted above and it had a link to a site called AquaBlast, Inc. Their direct link is:AquaBlast, Inc. . They feature either neon pink or dark blue nylon wrist/ankle bands that secure with velcro. You receive 4 (waterproof!) ID cards w/each band. The ID cards slip into the band. The cost for each is only $4.95. You can order extra ID cards, too. The shipping is nominal. I ordered three bands, one for each of my DD's & and extra set of ID cards. My total came to $16.35.

This was a great option for me, since I also have a little one (13 months) and do not want anything around her neck. Being waterproof was a big plus, too, for the "wet" rides and water parks/pools. I've never lost one of my girls (knock on wood!), but I know how quickly it could happen...it give me the chills just thinking about it.

I have no affiliation with this site...but it's worth checking out for a simple, cost-effective ID system for your WDW vacation.

Special name tags can be obtained at the theme parks. Also Hotel security professionals suggest you write child's name, your name, and the name of the hotel in small letters on masking tape and affix to the outside of the child's shirt 5 in. below the armpit or sew a label inside the garment. Make sure to use waterproof marker. You can also color code your kids by dressing them in identical shirts. We bought shirts in aqua, gold, etc. for that purpose.

ID's on the kids are, of course, a smart thing to do and helpful if you and your child are separated. However, in the scenario of a bad person getting ahold of the kid and walking out of Disney with them, it's going to be inefectual. The reality is that you don't have to show I.D. to leave Disney with a kid, and kids crying as they're leaving in no way raise suspicion. However, Disney has many undercover security who look like tourists all over the parks, and have you ever heard of child being abducted or assaulted there? The CMs are well trained to identify lost children and reunite them with their parents. Disney takes lost kids very seriously and offers fantastic security so parents can relax and not worry so if it should happen.

We bought the Guest of Honor badge for my dd, and put all the info on a sticker on the back of the badge. We never lost her, so I don't know if it was a good place or not, but she knew it was there and she always wore her badge.

If you have a wandering child, then I really recommend using some sort of harness or wrist strap. My dd is forever wandering off, and hates holding hands, especially when she is hot and sweaty, so we use a wrist strap attached to a bum bag - it works a treat and gives her a fair degree of freedom without getting lost.

Saying that, it wouldn't have worked in the playground, as I would probably have removed it in order to allow her to play more easily.

Bev

Bev-
where did you get the 'guest of honor' badges?
Those would be great for DD - 8 and Dfriend -9

THanks!

Thanks everyone. More good ideas. I've thought about sewing labels inside clothes too. Wherever we put it I think DS would be ok, he could tell someone where the info was. DD is harder. I know there are many people who don't like the harnesses but that may be an idea - but I'm sure we would have taken it off in the playground also. I was mad at DD because he looking for something in his backpack and let her walk right past him. Unfortunately stuff like that happens so I want to be prepared.

Thanks again.

pattyt: you can get GOH badges at the Days of Christmas store in DD (I think that's where it is?). You can also call them (407-828-2042) and have them sent to you (S&H is expensive...$10.00+).....or they will have them waiting for you at their store. You can also visit their store while at WDW and order them then. I think they are $5.00 each.

We're going in December, so I decided to order mine ahead of time and have them sent to me. I called D of C, left a message and they called me back the next day. Putting the ID info on the back that BevS97 suggested is a good idea.

Good luck!

we found ours in MGM at the store where they embroider Mickey Ears. They are quite hard to find - I gave up in Magic Kingdom, after being sent on a wild goose chase

they also have them in the Christmas store at Downtown Disney - they have a lot of names pre-made, or if you have an unusual name they will engrave it for you.

Gifts of a Lifetime used to sell them, but they don't seem to have them at the moment,

bev

Regarding harnesses-

I use to HATE them - swore I would NEVER!
Well that was when DD was little -

Now I am changing my tune! My DS will be 23 months when we go in October and you better bet that I am bringing one! I know he will not like the 'hand holder' wrist one and will get it off so I am buying the full harness system!
I can't imagine keeping him in a stroller all day and I don't even want to chanve that we could lose him! He is fast and fearless!

:D
Thanks snicker- I am going to order mine now for the kids! They will love having them too!
I wonder if they can be delivered to your room the first day - I am mailing down 'presents' for the kids (clearance disney stuff - sunscreen-toothbrushes etc) to have in the room when we get there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter