Chicken Fingers and Fries

disneyfreak71

Even Stewie Knows......GO STEELERS!
Can chicken fingers and fries, hot dogs, etc be requested at most restaurants on property? My kids are kinda particular and will not eat most things listed on menus, especially in EPCOT World Showcase.

Thanks!!

The only restaurant that has any track record of doing this is O'hana as they can pull from the Kona kitchen (and then you are paying a serious up-charge for fries, mac and cheese, chicken tenders, etc.). Otherwise, your best bet is to look at the menus and choose restaurants based on what is actually listed.

Could you maybe feed them beforehand if there is someplace you really want to eat, and order them dessert as you have your meal? The only issue would be that at family style or buffets you would still have to pay full price for them.

If you can get your kids to expand to steaks, I think you'll have much better luck-- many of the restaurants on site carry a steak.

Check the menus ahead of time. You can find them at allears.

We have had some luck with modifications - eg plain pasta with butter and parmesan if they have pasta on the menu. But if it is not on the kids menu they likely will not chickent tenders and hot dogs

Start with water only as a beverage. Hydrate but only with WATER. No Mickey Bars, no icee drinks, etc. Don't pack any hand-held snacks or toddler food. Or IF you do, make sure they do not know it's there. At actual mealtime, tell them they can have the light-up sparkly kids cup AFTER they finish a palm-sized amount of food. That is the size of their stomach and we as adults often WAY overdo it on portions. And sooooooooooo much liquid and treats are empty calories.

They might be hungrier than they think after being stimulated, hot and watching other people eat delicious-looking and yummy-smelling food. The scent of popcorn never stops so it's really easy to entice them into popping a snack into their mouths. Just remember you are the parent and you decide WHEN and WHAT they are served, but the child controls HOW MUCH and WHAT they eat.

If they pitch a fit over not eating the entree, you just pack up the sides (most are pre-packaged already) and remove your child from the eating area. And they don't get to wail over wanting an ice cream until they eat the apple slices.

My mom, fully intent on ensuring NO HEATSTROKE in January and hydrating everyone, gave my DD5 a 1liter enhanced water/energy drink thing as we passed Security. Gee I wonder why we all had a Family Meltdown when by 10am we had only done FIVE potty stops, no rides, and two gift shops (because kids who aren't whining for plastic crap totally NEED it) and only crossed off two M&G. After Grandma got fed up with our constant requesting NOT to spend all day shopping and hiding under like the 4 trees in EPCOT while sucking down this massive beverage... she left the Park and then we were in a struggle for the rest of the day with DD to eat something, anything . A whole meal at Garden Grill = WASTED, PLUS a cancelled Coral Reef ADR, because of some stupid pink carbonated beverage. Not to mention NOT eating and drinking around the World Showcase during the very first International Arts Festival!!!! we were on the Dining Plan and I think we used like 4 credits that day, it was so bad.

Some places can make substitutions but I think it depends on their kitchen. So you have to really be the flexible one IF the diet choices are not due to medical need.

Many of the restaurants that do not have them listed do not have the ability to order these items on a one time basis (no fryer in the kitchen). At all of the buffets we have gone to we have been able to order a plate of fries to supplement the chicken nuggets they have in the children's area - sometimes they don't have fries but rather potatoes or tater-tots. From memory we have ordered a plate of fries at Boma, 1900 park fare, Chef Mickeys, Crystal palace and Hollywood and Vine. In Epcot we had zero luck at Akershus and our DS ate exactly 1 bite of 1 cracker there. For quick service restaurants we have bought at another location and brought with us so we could all eat together as a family.

However, since our DS is on the autism spectrum we have recently discovered that we could contact the special diets team and make arrangements ahead of time for our sit-down meals to ensure there is an entree for him at the restaurant - if your children have a need then don't hesitate to contact Disney and they will help out. This has been a game changer for us and really opened the door for us to try any restaurant without limit (our DD is a great eater and tries everything). Prior to this we would search both the on-line menus and trip advisor revues for the restaurants we wanted to eat at to see if anyone else had mentioned getting fries and chicken strips anywhere.

Hope this helps!

However, since our DS is on the autism spectrum we have recently discovered that we could contact the special diets team and make arrangements ahead of time for our sit-down meals to ensure there is an entree for him at the restaurant - if your children have a need then don't hesitate to contact Disney and they will help out. This has been a game changer for us and really opened the door for us to try any restaurant without limit (our DD is a great eater and tries everything). Prior to this we would search both the on-line menus and trip advisor revues for the restaurants we wanted to eat at to see if anyone else had mentioned getting fries and chicken strips anywhere.

Hope this helps!

Please, only contact the restaurant if it is a true need, and not just that your child doesn't like the menu. That is not what contacting Disney about food is for, it is for true allergies or disabilities. Not because a child only wants chicken fingers.

I have 11 year old twins that would live on fried chicken fingers if allowed to. I'm almost always able to find something that they will eat though. Most restaurants have something they will eat. I can usually find some sort of grilled chicken or steak. We don't do the dining plan so i sometimes let them share an adult meal.

We still have one picky eater (limited to chicken tenders, hot dogs, spaghetti and grilled cheese). I’d recommend you look at each menu - both the kids and adults to each restaurant you have booked. They can modify some entrees but if you don’t see an item on either menu, chances are they don’t serve it at all.

We tend to visit all the Italian restaurants because my son is 11 and considered a Disney adult, so he eats off the adult’s menu when using the DDP. His go to is spaghetti or we ask for chicken parmesan without the sauce and cheese. Ohana and Cape May Cafe (which we tend to dine 2x each during our trips) both will bring him grilled cheese or nuggets and fries. Just ask the waitress. HDDR has brought him a hotdog and fries.

We’re very limited in Epcot so we usually dine at Via Napoli twice.

I have called Homecomin directly and asked about an adult portion of tenders and fries, chicken being their specialty, they have an adult platter you can request off the menu. Sci-Fi Dine In offers this as well for their popcorn chicken.

We even discovered at home The Cheesecake Factory will modify their firecracker boneless chicken bites appetizer to resemble an adult portion of nuggets and fries! (Minus the sauce, add fries!)

I feel your pain! You are not alone. They will eventually grow out of it and expand their palette. It just takes time.

Please, only contact the restaurant if it is a true need, and not just that your child doesn't like the menu. That is not what contacting Disney about food is for, it is for true allergies or disabilities. Not because a child only wants chicken fingers.

Thank you!

That's why I said "if your child has a need"

It sounds like the only "need" is to work on expanding their diet at home.

It sounds like the only "need" is to work on expanding their diet at home.

No need to judge parents here. My oldest is a very picky eater too. I choose restaurants for our next trip by looking at the kids menu to make sure that there is something there for him to eat. May not be his favorite---but as long as there is a hot dog, chicken tenders, pbj etc he will be good. He isn't an adventurous eater and I don't feel like dealing with the drama on vacation. On our last trip, I came away realizing that he didn't starve---he may have had more chicken tenders in a week than I would have preferred---but he was fine. It's only a week. Enjoy and have fun!

No need to judge parents here. My oldest is a very picky eater too. I choose restaurants for our next trip by looking at the kids menu to make sure that there is something there for him to eat. May not be his favorite---but as long as there is a hot dog, chicken tenders, pbj etc he will be good. He isn't an adventurous eater and I don't feel like dealing with the drama on vacation. On our last trip, I came away realizing that he didn't starve---he may have had more chicken tenders in a week than I would have preferred---but he was fine. It's only a week. Enjoy and have fun!

I wasn't judging. It's pretty straight forward honestly. I'm not the most adventurous eater myself, but I'm able to either find things I'll eat on a menu or not go to a particular restaurant. If someone wants to stuff their kids with chicken fingers and fries at home then wonder why they can't eat at the neat places on vacation because, heaven forbid, they don't serve chicken fingers and fries, that's a parent problem, not one Disney's hard working chefs.

No judging from me. Just the hope people won't take advantage of what Disney does to help people with a true need. A child not liking what is on the menu is not a true need for the most part.

Exactly!!

It was abuse of the system that was in place that led to the DAS creation.

When “allergy” and/or “special needs” gets thrown around just to get around something or get “special” treatment, it makes it challenging for those of us who ARE allergic and/or have special needs. Believe me - I would LOVE to be able to eat stuff with gluten - or peanuts - again. But my body will not cooperate.

Start with water only as a beverage. Hydrate but only with WATER. No Mickey Bars, no icee drinks, etc. Don't pack any hand-held snacks or toddler food. Or IF you do, make sure they do not know it's there. At actual mealtime, tell them they can have the light-up sparkly kids cup AFTER they finish a palm-sized amount of food. That is the size of their stomach and we as adults often WAY overdo it on portions. And sooooooooooo much liquid and treats are empty calories.

They might be hungrier than they think after being stimulated, hot and watching other people eat delicious-looking and yummy-smelling food. The scent of popcorn never stops so it's really easy to entice them into popping a snack into their mouths. Just remember you are the parent and you decide WHEN and WHAT they are served, but the child controls HOW MUCH and WHAT they eat.

If they pitch a fit over not eating the entree, you just pack up the sides (most are pre-packaged already) and remove your child from the eating area. And they don't get to wail over wanting an ice cream until they eat the apple slices.

My mom, fully intent on ensuring NO HEATSTROKE in January and hydrating everyone, gave my DD5 a 1liter enhanced water/energy drink thing as we passed Security. Gee I wonder why we all had a Family Meltdown when by 10am we had only done FIVE potty stops, no rides, and two gift shops (because kids who aren't whining for plastic crap totally NEED it) and only crossed off two M&G. After Grandma got fed up with our constant requesting NOT to spend all day shopping and hiding under like the 4 trees in EPCOT while sucking down this massive beverage... she left the Park and then we were in a struggle for the rest of the day with DD to eat something, anything . A whole meal at Garden Grill = WASTED, PLUS a cancelled Coral Reef ADR, because of some stupid pink carbonated beverage. Not to mention NOT eating and drinking around the World Showcase during the very first International Arts Festival!!!! we were on the Dining Plan and I think we used like 4 credits that day, it was so bad.

Some places can make substitutions but I think it depends on their kitchen. So you have to really be the flexible one IF the diet choices are not due to medical need.

So your idea is to starve them into submission? Sounds like an awesome plan.

I wasn't judging. It's pretty straight forward honestly. I'm not the most adventurous eater myself, but I'm able to either find things I'll eat on a menu or not go to a particular restaurant. If someone wants to stuff their kids with chicken fingers and fries at home then wonder why they can't eat at the neat places on vacation because, heaven forbid, they don't serve chicken fingers and fries, that's a parent problem, not one Disney's hard working chefs.
Suuure, you don’t come across as judgey at all. It isn’t always a parent thing you know. We raised our twins eating the same food, but one went through a phase for about a year where he had such anxiety about trying new foods he would projectile vomit after one bite. Never happened to his twin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter