Chicago Marathon 2020 - Dismeet

Does anyone have their plan for the year on what they want to do prior to the marathon?
I do not have one set in stone yet but I'm doing a January streak of run or bike everyday of Jan to get myself in the mode of not taking too many days off. Something that plagued me in October and November. I realize some days will be little short workouts and others will have more meat.
This way when I start really training I won't be coming from a too-sedentary place.

I don't have one set in stone either. I don't have any major events scheduled between next week and Disneyland Paris in September, so I have to make sure I don't take a lot of time off. I have P90x that I bought last year and then found out that it's not really complementary to marathon training, so I'll probably start that after Disney next week and then just keep running steady and then if/when I'm happy with the results I get, then I'll go back into marathon training mode. I want to focus on a faster pace before Chicago as well.

I've been thinking about my plans for the year a lot over the last few days. Chicago will be my first marathon so I think it will be my primary focus for the year and I'll probably end up doing fewer races this year than I usually might do. I think I'm going to spend January and February just getting myself back into some good running habits and hopefully introducing some kind of strength/cross training into my routine as well, and then will train for a local half marathon in May before switching to marathon training sometime in June (that still sounds like something that someone else does/says, not me!). There might not be too many other races for me this year unless I work a local HM into my marathon training plan as a "supported long run". I'm excited for what this year holds (and a little nervous too)!

For anyone interested in the Bank of America International 5k the day before the marathon (or perhaps you have a family member who would like to also run that weekend) the official site is updated and registration is open for 2020. Same expo as the marathon.

https://www.chicago5k.com/register/
Race day
Saturday, October 10, 2020

International Chicago 5K start
Daley Plaza
50 W. Washington Street
Chicago, IL 60602

International Chicago 5K finish
Grant Park, Chicago, IL
Ida B. Wells Drive (between Michigan Avenue and Columbus Drive)

Event times*
Start corrals open – 6:30 a.m.
Wheelchair start – 7:20 a.m.
Race start – 7:30 a.m.
Finish line closes – 9 a.m.

For anyone interested in the Bank of America International 5k the day before the marathon (or perhaps you have a family member who would like to also run that weekend) the official site is updated and registration is open for 2020. Same expo as the marathon.

https://www.chicago5k.com/register/

I haven't signed up yet but I'm going to. I regret not doing this when I ran Chicago in 2017.

I haven't signed up yet but I'm going to. I regret not doing this when I ran Chicago in 2017.

I'm thinking about it too. But likely will not be trying for any land speed records during it :) If any of us register for it I can add that to the top post.

For those that sign up for the International 5K and live in the US, they will mail your bib to you, so you don't have to drag family or friends with you to the expo if they'd rather spend the time shopping on Michigan Ave. :)

Ooh - doing this 5k is tempting! I don’t have my travel plans all set yet so I’m not sure exactly when I’ll be arriving. Does the 5k typically sell out well in advance or would I need to make a decision about that fairly soon? I’m also wondering how much running I would want to do the day before the marathon I’m new at this!). I’m assuming some kind of easy run to keep the legs loose will be a good idea, but is there a rule of thumb about how much is too much? If the 5k is not too much then it would be a convenient way to build in the last run of the training plan without having to figure out a running route etc 😁

Finally got my confirmation! I was not successful in the lottery but I was able to buy a hotel and bib package for Canadian citizens.
I was registered for 2019 but 3 weeks before the marathon, I sprained my ankle pretty badly. I completed it, albeit slower than I had trained for, so, this is my do over.

Finally got my hotel booked yesterday. Staying Friday to Tuesday. My DH is coming with me. Not sure the kids will since it’s the end of their first 9 weeks of school and they usually have exams. I was able to get a room at the Chicago Hilton with points. Holy cow at room rates at all the hotels! I’m also signed up for the 5K.

ETA: just checked the school calendar. They have exam makeups on the 9th then the 12th & 13th off. Looks like they will be coming!

New DIS member here....

@roxymama Would you mind adding me to the list? I got in via lottery and am super excited. This will be my redemption marathon after my knee crashed and burned at the 2017 WDW Marathon. I may have gotten over that finish line, but I'm looking to crush Chicago.

Would love to be part of a meetup or shakeout run. This will be my first trip to the windy city.

Finally got my confirmation! I was not successful in the lottery but I was able to buy a hotel and bib package for Canadian citizens.
I was registered for 2019 but 3 weeks before the marathon, I sprained my ankle pretty badly. I completed it, albeit slower than I had trained for, so, this is my do over.

Awesome, excited you are joining us!

Finally got my hotel booked yesterday. Staying Friday to Tuesday. My DH is coming with me. Not sure the kids will since it’s the end of their first 9 weeks of school and they usually have exams. I was able to get a room at the Chicago Hilton with points. Holy cow at room rates at all the hotels! I’m also signed up for the 5K.

ETA: just checked the school calendar. They have exam makeups on the 9th then the 12th & 13th off. Looks like they will be coming!

That's great news. We used points last year as well for our room and probably will again this time. I was thinking about doing the Game Room as a meetup one of the days and that is family friendly but in a "cool way".
https://www.chicagoathletichotel.com/meetings/game-room
I'm currently in for Chicago. Always the possibility of deferring but probably not.

Woot woot! Hoping you decide to not defer and join us!

New DIS member here....

@roxymama Would you mind adding me to the list? I got in via lottery and am super excited. This will be my redemption marathon after my knee crashed and burned at the 2017 WDW Marathon. I may have gotten over that finish line, but I'm looking to crush Chicago.

Would love to be part of a meetup or shakeout run. This will be my first trip to the windy city.

Welcome! If you have any questions about planning your trip let us know.

The Chicago Marathon was officially cancelled today for 2020.
Refunds or deferment to 2021, 2022, or 2023 are options.
Cancellation FAQ's can be found at this link
https://www.chicagomarathon.com/cancellation/cancellation-faqs/
I personally was already thinking I'd be deferring to a future year, so this makes that official. I am undecided on what year to defer. My gut says 2022 since I am registered for the WDW marathon in 2021 and maybe would run some smaller races/half's remainder of 2021 until things normalize a bit more.

What are you all planning to choose for your refund/defer options?

Bummer, but this was to be expected. I've still got three more fall marathons on my calendar, but I'm not holding my breath on any of 'em. We'll see.

What are you all planning to choose for your refund/defer options?

I'll probably just go with the refund. Since the qualifying times are pretty easy for us old guys, getting back in shouldn't be too hard if I decide to run it again. It's a great race, but I already ran it once. Time to try to get the rest of the majors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter