Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

I also don't love the idea of walking by myself in the dark (Google guesstimates a 28 minute walk).

Where are you coming from? Maybe someone else is close that intends to go and you could buddy up. I'm at the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel if it's on your route.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 1.14.36 PM.png

I'm about a half hour walk as well @Wendy98, staying up by LaSalle & Ohio. If you are nearby we could jog there together (yes, I said jog). I know the area pretty well and have run that route plenty of times.

Where are you coming from? Maybe someone else is close that intends to go and you could buddy up. I'm at the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel if it's on your route.

I suspect someone in this group would be staying in her vicinity. I'm actually in River North up at State and Ohio.

The lion statue in front of the Art Institute should be something easy to locate. But from what I recall from last year, that area was pretty crowded. Other groups might be meeting near those steps. I think it will work for us, but we all might need to look a little harder to actually locate each other.

The lion statue in front of the Art Institute should be something easy to locate. But from what I recall from last year, that area was pretty crowded. Other groups might be meeting near those steps. I think it will work for us, but we all might need to look a little harder to actually locate each other.

Do you have another suggested spot? Maybe Van Buren and State Street (Dunkin Doughnuts)? (link)

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 1.47.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 1.48.21 PM.png

This would put us around the mid-point for all the Gate entrances.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 1.49.47 PM.png

Thanks all--I will be staying at Michigan and Huron. Maybe (pre) meet at Ohio and Michigan for us North of the River folks?

The one thing I remember about the Chicago Marathon is the beer at the finish. Not the beer you exchange a ticket for, but a cup of beer at the finish line. You finish, get a medal, water, and someone hands you a beer. I declined because it would have come straight back up. I used my beer ticket eventually, but only for picture purposes then I gave it to DH. He had a tiring day of spectating.

14641970_10208430346810802_7344049736266532468_n.jpg

Again, only a pic. I got very dehydrated during that race and couldn't eat right for 3 days. I got a Diet Coke from McDonald's on our way home and it helped stopped the "puke any minute" feeling.

Again this year after I finish, I will be rushed back to hotel for a shower then the 5 hour drive home. No celebratory dinner, well maybe Chipotle later if my belly feels ok.

Last edited:
Do you have another suggested spot? Maybe Van Buren and State Street (Dunkin Doughnuts)?

That's a fine spot too. I wasn't necessarily poo-pooing the Lion Statue. But from what I recall, people tend to pile on Michigan Avenue. The Art Institute seems to be a very popular landmark. I seem to remember at least 1 large group there... think Brazilian Tour Group... but for running. There were a number of times on the way to my Gate that I just walked out into the street (Michigan) a bit because the sidewalk there got very full. So I guess I mean that if we were meeting at the left lion, that we might want to be right next to it in order to be seen.

Again this year after I finish, I will be rushed back to hotel for a shower then the 5 hour drive home. No celebratory dinner, well maybe Chipotle later if my belly feels ok.

Similar plan. I did this the last 2 years. Riding home while my wife drives did not suck as much as I thought it might. I think I had a slice of leftover pizza in the van both years.

That's a fine spot too. I wasn't necessarily poo-pooing the Lion Statue. But from what I recall, people tend to pile on Michigan Avenue. The Art Institute seems to be a very popular landmark. I seem to remember at least 1 large group there... think Brazilian Tour Group... but for running. There were a number of times on the way to my Gate that I just walked out into the street (Michigan) a bit because the sidewalk there got very full. So I guess I mean that if we were meeting at the left lion, that we might want to be right next to it in order to be seen.

I think for those reasons we should go with the Dunkin Doughnuts pre-race meet spot then. Because the AI is a natural place for almost everyone to choose (because I did too). So since we've got a small group it might be harder to find each other. But I'd venture to guess less people will choose Dunkin Doughnuts as a spot. It's also nice because then it's in the middle for everyone's gates. Do people really need to enter a specific gate or is it really a loose "suggestion"?

I think for those reasons we should go with the Dunkin Doughnuts pre-race meet spot then. Because the AI is a natural place for almost everyone to choose (because I did too). So since we've got a small group it might be harder to find each other. But I'd venture to guess less people will choose Dunkin Doughnuts as a spot. It's also nice because then it's in the middle for everyone's gates. Do people really need to enter a specific gate or is it really a loose "suggestion"?
...and REAL toilets (for paying customers)!

I don't recall for sure, but I do believe the bibs are color coded based on which gates you can get into. Of course I'm going off of memory, and I could be seriously wrong on that. Plus they could have different rules this year. I just remember that I went where I thought I was supposed to. lol

I think meeting at a doughnut place is genius. Doughnut as pre-race fuel is a winner in my book!

I've done this with crack doughnuts (aka powdered sugar donuts) at Disney races before. :D

Also, how early is it wise to enter your corral? We are in L (which is a fair placement), but hoping to be more toward the front of that corral if possible. How big are the corrals anyway?

...and REAL toilets (for paying customers)!

::yes::

I don't recall for sure, but I do believe the bibs are color coded based on which gates you can get into. Of course I'm going off of memory, and I could be seriously wrong on that. Plus they could have different rules this year. I just remember that I went where I thought I was supposed to. lol

Looks like color of bib means the "wave" you are in (1, 2 or 3). But your corral letter dictates which gate you should enter. Corral E = Gate 1; G = Gate 2/3; B, F, J = Gate 4; and L = Gate 6/7). It will say on the bottom of the bib which gate you are "suggested" to enter.

I think meeting at a doughnut place is genius. Doughnut as pre-race fuel is a winner in my book!

I've done this with crack doughnuts (aka powdered sugar donuts) at Disney races before. :D

Also, how early is it wise to enter your corral? We are in L (which is a fair placement), but hoping to be more toward the front of that corral if possible. How big are the corrals anyway?

Yum doughnuts! I remember trying to figure this out before and felt like about 40-50% of all runners were in about J and behind. So about 15,000-20,000 in the last three corrals (or wave orange). You and @roxymama are separated by about 15000 numbers (although I doubt all are being used given there's probably only about 45,000-50,000 total runners). Wave 3 suggested arrival is 6:30am.

Looks like color of bib means the "wave" you are in (1, 2 or 3). But your corral letter dictates which gate you should enter. Corral E = Gate 1; G = Gate 2/3; B, F, J = Gate 4; and L = Gate 6/7). It will say on the bottom of the bib which gate you are "suggested" to enter.

That makes more sense on the color = wave.

So sorry for stupid questions...

There's a gate that you enter and then a second entrance into the actual corral? Is that right?

If you need corral-waiting buddies until orange wave corrals open, I volunteer as tribute.

Yum doughnuts! I remember trying to figure this out before and felt like about 40-50% of all runners were in about J and behind. So about 15,000-20,000 in the last three corrals (or wave orange). You and @roxymama are separated by about 15000 numbers (although I doubt all are being used given there's probably only about 45,000-50,000 total runners). Wave 3 suggested arrival is 6:30am.

I used my DB plan estimated time and I think it was the very slowest time for corral J. I don't know how many people are in front of me numerically. But I feel like I could fit fine in with J, K, or L peeps. GO ORANGE!

If you need corral-waiting buddies until orange wave corrals open, I volunteer as tribute.

latest

roxymama said:
I used my DB plan estimated time and I think it was the very slowest time for corral J. I don't know how many people are in front of me numerically. But I feel like I could fit fine in with J, K, or L peeps. GO ORANGE!

0*vHPYkNJNiJnRKBon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter