Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

Just ran the Chicago marathon two days ago! Minus the heat towards the end, it was an awesome day. The course is super flat, and the crowd support along the course was great. There were spectators lined up the entire 26.2 miles cheering. I'm a back of the pack runner, and the water stops had plenty of water and Gatorade left for us who started and finished last.

I highly recommend :)

If there are really that many of us serious about running ... I wonder if there are any perks we would get by establishing ourselves as an official "run club". I actually have the information on how to do this for RunDisney and thought about broaching the subject with a group on here, just because run clubs get an allotment of bibs for races with more flexible terms (similar to charities and TAs), but I kinda forgot about it when I decided to take a break from RunDisney in 2018.

Do it! Dopey is my last rD event until @roxymama runs her full, so a team Chicago presence sounds great.

So clearly we are getting a few Air BnB's or connecting suites and having a big slumber party right? :rotfl:

:D

I have received the following hotel recommendations thus far:

@roxymama
Hilton Chicago 720 Michigan Ave (note: not the mag mile one, that's a bit farther away)
Palmer House Hilton
The Rennaisance on W Wacker Dr.
Fairmont Chicago on Columbus Dr.
Swissotel Chicago on E Upper Wacker
Sheraton on E. North Water St.

@michigandergirl
We stayed at the Congress Hotel right across from Grant Park. Pros: Great location, huge rooms - Cons: if you don't get a room with a view, you get an inner room with a view of nothing, or in our case, an air conditioning unit. o_O

@bovie
I stayed at the Palmer a few years ago and remember it being easily accessible and safe. Didn't have a car with us though, so no parking fees.

My SIL
Kimpton Hotels

Just ran the Chicago marathon two days ago! Minus the heat towards the end, it was an awesome day. The course is super flat, and the crowd support along the course was great. There were spectators lined up the entire 26.2 miles cheering. I'm a back of the pack runner, and the water stops had plenty of water and Gatorade left for us who started and finished last.

I highly recommend :)

Where do you end up staying? When were you able to make your hotel reservations? Any other insider tips for a first time runner at Chicago?

We stayed at Embassy Suites by Hilton Downtown (River North) last year and Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile (Streeterville) this year. The first mile of the race runs right past where we stayed this year on Columbus. I'm not sure if I have a real preference between the 2 locations. This year's was probably a little closer to the start.

Hotel rates are high for this event, but I guess that's not a surprise to anyone. And parking is at a premium in Chicago. Also, some hotels will show no availability (if you try to book direct) because the organization blocks off a lot of rooms in the city but you can book through a link on the Chicago Marathon website. I didn't do this either year. Both years I booked through Hilton, but I was baffled this year when I couldn't find any availability at the River North ES 10 months in advance... I later realized it was because so many of the rooms downtown are held for the marathon. I never thought to go through the Chicago Marathon website to find my hotel. Once I decided I was going to apply to run, I quickly started looking for rooms because I wanted to be in a decent location (close enough to walk, near restaurants, etc).

We stayed at Embassy Suites by Hilton Downtown (River North) last year and Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile (Streeterville) this year. The first mile of the race runs right past where we stayed this year on Columbus. I'm not sure if I have a real preference between the 2 locations. This year's was probably a little closer to the start.

Hotel rates are high for this event, but I guess that's not a surprise to anyone. And parking is at a premium in Chicago. Also, some hotels will show no availability (if you try to book direct) because the organization blocks off a lot of rooms in the city but you can book through a link on the Chicago Marathon website. I didn't do this either year. Both years I booked through Hilton, but I was baffled this year when I couldn't find any availability at the River North ES 10 months in advance... I later realized it was because so many of the rooms downtown are held for the marathon. I never thought to go through the Chicago Marathon website to find my hotel. Once I decided I was going to apply to run, I quickly started looking for rooms because I wanted to be in a decent location (close enough to walk, near restaurants, etc).

Looks like I'm just too early in considering hotel rooms I guess. I found the link from the 2016 version of the Chicago marathon hotel reservation system. So, I'm sure things will change once registration actually opens up. Thanks for the info!

I'll be likely sleeping at my in-laws in my kiddo's twin bed if they let me. And making the short walk to the start down Michigan or Columbus. That's the game plan so far! I'm prepared to eat parking $$ for the night but it'll be cheaper than a hotel + parking :)

Put me in the interested category. Stupid as this may be, I thought it was pretty cool that the major turns(according to the TV announcers who weren't all that good, so this could be wrong) are at or around the major sports stadiums. It doesn't take much to peak my interest in a race.

Put me in the interested category. Stupid as this may be, I thought it was pretty cool that the major turns(according to the TV announcers who weren't all that good, so this could be wrong) are at or around the major sports stadiums. It doesn't take much to peak my interest in a race.

Here's a write-up describing the Chicago marathon: https://www.chicagomarathon.com/charity-community/the-chicago-experience/

Wikipedia
The marathon course is a loop course, starting and ending at Grant Park. From here, the current course winds through 29 of the city's neighborhoods.[43] The course loop can be generally divided into three sections: North, West, and South. Near each of these directions, three of the city's main stadiums are nearby at their turning points. Wrigley Field is near the north. The United Center is to the west. US Cellular Field is to the south. On the other hand, Soldier Field is located near the start/finish area.

It's funny you bring up the stadiums - I'm the same way! My favorite local half marathon (the only one I've run multiple years now), runs in loops around the Texas Rangers ballpark and JerryWorld (also Six Flags).

True I suppose...the first 'major' turn is when you get to the northernmost point and that is Wrigley. When you hit the westernmost point and turn again you are out at the United Center where the Bulls and Hawks play, the southernmost is right near 35th and the Dan Ryan, which is dirty Sox territory, and you finish right around the corner from Soldier Field. Never really thought of it, but that is kinda cool.

True I suppose...the first 'major' turn is when you get to the northernmost point and that is Wrigley. When you hit the westernmost point and turn again you are out at the United Center where the Bulls and Hawks play, the southernmost is right near 35th and the Dan Ryan, which is dirty Sox territory, and you finish right around the corner from Soldier Field. Never really thought of it, but that is kinda cool.

Ack, that seems far. But I guess I'll be going faster than most cars in the city at many points!?

Also us sox fans aren't dirty...we're drrrty. Big difference :)

Ack, that seems far. But I guess I'll be going faster than most cars in the city at many points!?

Oh no, you're a Sux fan? This changes everything.

10419007_10155558864080481_8706261898821109931_n.jpg

It's funny you bring up the stadiums - I'm the same way! My favorite local half marathon (the only one I've run multiple years now), runs in loops around the Texas Rangers ballpark and JerryWorld (also Six Flags).

I figured Jerryworld was big enough to have it's own marathon. :)

See I just hate the Cubs. I didn't realize anyone even talked about the White Sox. I kid, I kid - about the White Sox part.

Oh no, you're a Sux fan? This changes everything.

10419007_10155558864080481_8706261898821109931_n.jpg

Hey at least I'm not a Twins fan! (ducks and hides)

Also I tried my hardest to breed another sox fan into existence and yet my kiddo keeps singing Go Cubs Go in the grocery store and playgrounds...ON THE SOUTHSIDE! It's just not natural. She's also a packers fan which I don't want to talk about.

320140_4075215112947_2125559175_n.jpg

And @croach this is my preferred way of watching games at Wrigley:
1931415_561635026961_1967_n.jpg

That and the Buffet concerts (see @CheapRunnerMike we can at least agree on that)

Also I tried my hardest to breed another sox fan into existence and yet my kiddo keeps singing Go Cubs Go in the grocery store and playgrounds...ON THE SOUTHSIDE! It's just not natural. She's also a packers fan which I don't want to talk about.
Look at RoxyKiddo thumbing her nose at her heritage! haha, she's her own woman!

That and the Buffet concerts (see @CheapRunnerMike we can at least agree on that)
Yes! So wish I was able to see this...
Wrigley-sign.jpg

I figured Jerryworld was big enough to have it's own marathon. :)

You’d think, right? But that stupid stadium doesn’t even have a concourse that goes around the stadium! You can’t get to one sideline to the other without having to scan OUT of the stadium and walk around outside. So dumb.

If there are really that many of us serious about running ... I wonder if there are any perks we would get by establishing ourselves as an official "run club". I actually have the information on how to do this for RunDisney and thought about broaching the subject with a group on here, just because run clubs get an allotment of bibs for races with more flexible terms (similar to charities and TAs), but I kinda forgot about it when I decided to take a break from RunDisney in 2018.

This sounds like a promising idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter