Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

Hi all! I am a runner, going to Chicago, but not running Chicago.. although I will run IN Chicago. :)

We're headed there next week and was wondering for those that have been or live, what is your favorite thing to do? (Museum? Attraction? Area? Etc..) Favorite restaurant?

Figured I could ask here so you all can plan your trips too- sorry to hijak the thread! Thanks!

The Museum of Science & Industry has always been my favorite. Grant Park/ The Bean area is a nice green area. If shopping is your thing, State Street and Michigan Avenue. If you have kids with you, check the Chicago Shakespeare schedule as they do kid friendly plays at Navy Pier during the summer. Depending on where you are staying, and if you have a car, I would also suggest either Brookfield Zoo or Lincoln Park Zoo.

For restaurants, I would suggest looking on the Open Table app as Chicago has everything.

Hi all! I am a runner, going to Chicago, but not running Chicago.. although I will run IN Chicago. :)

We're headed there next week and was wondering for those that have been or live, what is your favorite thing to do? (Museum? Attraction? Area? Etc..) Favorite restaurant?

Figured I could ask here so you all can plan your trips too- sorry to hijak the thread! Thanks!

I would also suggest either Brookfield Zoo or Lincoln Park Zoo.

I will second the Lincoln Park Zoo. Also do yourself a favour and check out some live music...can't go wrong with the blues bars and if that isn't your thing Howl at the Moon (dueling pianos) is always a fun experience.

Since you're planning to run, check out as much of the Lakefront Trail as you can...one of my favourite places to run!

Got my ADR for marathon night all taken care of. Steph wanted to eat at RPM Italian.

That's a real good choice.

@run.minnie.miles How was your Chicago trip???? Good enough to want to come back one day to run Rock N Roll or Hot Chocolate with me? :)

I came onto this thread though because I finally booked a room for Saturday night. Wyndham Grand Riverfront. There was no minimum night stay and they had room block via the marathon site still available at a decent rate. It's not a bad walk so I jumped on it. My grand ideas of driving in or staying with my in-laws but having my family drive in...decided to just take that stress away.

So I was thinking now that my life has calmed down a tad...time to start thinking about fun Chicago stuff! Who here needs to do a short shakeout run on Saturday morning that will be in town? And what are people's time of day preferences. I have 2 miles on my schedule for that day and morning makes the most sense (but how early?) Would love to meet up at Lakefront path and possible have a start and an end spot or do an out and back (to account for speedy vs non-speedy peeps it may be fun to have a mile out and back so we can high five and cheer as we cycle past each other.) And we can group up based on like speeds for company?
Just want to throw out a rope to see if anyone would like to join in. And then we can firm the plans up.

@run.minnie.miles How was your Chicago trip???? Good enough to want to come back one day to run Rock N Roll or Hot Chocolate with me? :)

I came onto this thread though because I finally booked a room for Saturday night. Wyndham Grand Riverfront. There was no minimum night stay and they had room block via the marathon site still available at a decent rate. It's not a bad walk so I jumped on it. My grand ideas of driving in or staying with my in-laws but having my family drive in...decided to just take that stress away.

So I was thinking now that my life has calmed down a tad...time to start thinking about fun Chicago stuff! Who here needs to do a short shakeout run on Saturday morning that will be in town? And what are people's time of day preferences. I have 2 miles on my schedule for that day and morning makes the most sense (but how early?) Would love to meet up at Lakefront path and possible have a start and an end spot or do an out and back (to account for speedy vs non-speedy peeps it may be fun to have a mile out and back so we can high five and cheer as we cycle past each other.) And we can group up based on like speeds for company?
Just want to throw out a rope to see if anyone would like to join in. And then we can firm the plans up.

I wish I could join you. Unfortunately, when I started looking at hotels and flights the prices were a bit steeper than I was happy with. I ended up getting a flight in Saturday morning along with a 2 night stay at the Sheraton Grand. It's not the relaxed trip I had hoped it would be, but I ended up saving around $600 by flying in that morning and cutting a night off the stay. Hopefully it won't be too crazy getting my bib picked up after coming in that morning.

I'm in. I'd prefer it to be earlier in the morning.

Who here needs to do a short shakeout run on Saturday morning that will be in town? And what are people's time of day preferences. I have 2 miles on my schedule for that day and morning makes the most sense (but how early?) Would love to meet up at Lakefront path and possible have a start and an end spot or do an out and back (to account for speedy vs non-speedy peeps it may be fun to have a mile out and back so we can high five and cheer as we cycle past each other.) And we can group up based on like speeds for company?

Although I'm not running the marathon, I would be happy to meet up for the shake-out run just to say "hi" to everyone.

Count in me and @Chris-Mo

It was great!! We really enjoyed staying downtown and taking in a few sights. We didn't (of course) do everything, but had a great long weekend. Hamilton was the total highlight!
I would totally go back to run with you!!

I wish I could join you. Unfortunately, when I started looking at hotels and flights the prices were a bit steeper than I was happy with. I ended up getting a flight in Saturday morning along with a 2 night stay at the Sheraton Grand. It's not the relaxed trip I had hoped it would be, but I ended up saving around $600 by flying in that morning and cutting a night off the stay. Hopefully it won't be too crazy getting my bib picked up after coming in that morning.

Yeah, hotels are a bit crazy. Running around the airports and the expo is kind of equivalent to getting some shakeout miles on the legs that day prior though! Now you can buy $600 worth of post marathon snacks :)

I'm in. I'd prefer it to be earlier in the morning.

Sweet...but I'm not going to try to keep up with you this time.

Although I'm not running the marathon, I would be happy to meet up for the shake-out run just to say "hi" to everyone.

Great idea...once we have a time and place I should let the running board know in case any other Chicagoland natives want to come join along.

Count in me and @Chris-Mo

YAY!! I have a feeling that your run/walk and my run will net out to us playing a fun game of leapfrog.

It was great!! We really enjoyed staying downtown and taking in a few sights. We didn't (of course) do everything, but had a great long weekend. Hamilton was the total highlight!
I would totally go back to run with you!!

Chicago is too hard to see all at one time, so that is why you will have to come back :)

When I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2016, we took my daughter and her boyfriend (now husband) with us. We were able to get some Hamilton tickets beforehand and they went to that on Saturday while I spent some downtime. They of course loved it. 4 months later this happened...

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/18790...e-proposal-will-warm-your-theater-geek-heart/

This is AMAZING. One of my closest friends is part of the the "Hamilton" production company and I remember him sharing this video with me and just raving about how thrilled they were to see that their "little show that could" had touched people on so many levels. I'm so thrilled to know that I now "know" who is involved!!!

Possible shakeout run attendees for Sat Oct 6:
@roxymama
@opusone
@DopeyBadger
@ZellyB
@Chris-Mo

I'll add anyone's name to this list who would like to be added. :)
The likelihood of me bringing a wagon with a 5 year old and a roxyhubby for post-run aid station help is now high.

I can add this to the OP as well.

Any interest in a pre-shakeout from other known attendees?

@garneska
@CheapRunnerMike
@marn913
MrsCheapRunnerMike
@cburnett11
@canglim52
@bellrae
@ematulis81
@Wendy98

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter