Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

Yikes. I didn't watch the game but I followed it on MLB AtBat and that was enough for me!
do you realize we were about to be the first team to deliver a shut out to the Nats this year? When I saw Rondon heading out to face Murphy I about died. Murphy needed to atone for his gaffe throw to second and was not going to go down easy. Robin, you HAVE to watch the Javy highlights...ridicuous.:worship::worship::worship::worship:

I'm writing this BEFORE I read the other comments, so if I repeat what you said, oops...

I'm surprised I have any nails left after that 9th inning. I guess that's the reason the Nats (or is that knats :lmao:) are such a good team this year. Seriously, though...the number of batters above .300 on their team is great for them. I'm hoping that 9th inning was a spark for us or a wake up call or something. We have that potential, but we need to get everyone on fire at the same time...seems like we have one or two at a time. Also think some very good pitches WEREN'T called which aggravated (extended) the last two innings, but you have to admit, they have some dangerous hitters.

Speaking of on fire, last night was shaping up to be the Baez/Contreras show. I was beggining to wonder if the LO HR was going to be it. Those two plays by Javy were fantastic. His run in the 8th was great. Only thing about that was why not slide into 2nd? Yes he was safe, but if he'd slid, I think it was no contest at all. Perfectly executed squeeze. Props to Zimmerman...great try. Grimm vs. Zimm...Grimm won that round (THANKFULLY). Rizzo looked completely off last night...I'm wondering if the day off did more harm for him than good...he seems to be the guy that always wants to play. Put me in coach, I'm ready to play, today. Look at me, I can be center field. :rotfl2:

giphy.gif

il_340x270.1118639245_kq6z.jpg

The Fred Sanford pic is AMAZINGLY SPOT ON!!!!

I thought I was gonna have the big one. :rotfl2:

I'm writing this BEFORE I read the other comments, so if I repeat what you said, oops...

I'm surprised I have any nails left after that 9th inning. I guess that's the reason the Nats (or is that knats :lmao:) are such a good team this year. Seriously, though...the number of batters above .300 on their team is great for them. I'm hoping that 9th inning was a spark for us or a wake up call or something. We have that potential, but we need to get everyone on fire at the same time...seems like we have one or two at a time. Also think some very good pitches WEREN'T called which aggravated (extended) the last two innings, but you have to admit, they have some dangerous hitters.

Speaking of on fire, last night was shaping up to be the Baez/Contreras show. I was beggining to wonder if the LO HR was going to be it. Those two plays by Javy were fantastic. His run in the 8th was great. Only thing about that was why not slide into 2nd? Yes he was safe, but if he'd slid, I think it was no contest at all. Perfectly executed squeeze. Props to Zimmerman...great try. Grimm vs. Zimm...Grimm won that round (THANKFULLY). Rizzo looked completely off last night...I'm wondering if the day off did more harm for him than good...he seems to be the guy that always wants to play. Put me in coach, I'm ready to play, today. Look at me, I can be center field. :rotfl2:

They were awake in the 1st, lol...Butler did great (despite the Ump's Houdini strike zone) and Javy's/AAJ's defense and Willy's pick off inte 3rd helped him some but that the way it is SUPPOSED to be! Javy literally creating that run in the 8th with his mad skillz. He didn't slide (IMHO) as that play 100% should have gone 4-3-6~ Nats looked perplexed as well. Javy should have slid, agreed but maybe he was tired of sliding back into 1st, lol. All I know is I have seen Murphy make some big mistakes at 2nd these last few years and hope it's a trend that continues. AAJ's bunt was perfection to get Javy home. Rizzo looked fine to me :confused3 He has terrible at bats against Gonzalez, that's why he didn't lead off and honestly, he dug a coupla bad throws out from CandyMan. His RBI in the 9th was pretty huge and we obviously needed it. Getting thrown out at 3rd..I mean, he's not the fastest and it was looking like not getting him in was gong to be a factor, but we held on :cheer2: (Not that I recommend this type of W becoming a habit :faint:) Maybe Riz was thinking his LO tonight..how can he top what he and Willy have done? I was REALLY hoping for the shut out, and to have done it without 1/2 our starters would have been even sweeter. Pitching has been really good lately, please stay on a role Jake! 2 Cy Young, no hitter pitchers facing off tonight ~guess we know whythis one's on National TV tonight.

As I am working on cleaning up, clearing out and packing for my move to SWFL, I found this. View attachment 247331 View attachment 247332
I don't know what I like better, the bear or that you are moving to Florida! It's a W either way.

Theo is on a scouting trip and was showing off Javy's catch last night to other scouts...that better be because he wants to brag and not trade

Tonight's Pitcher's duel lineup~lol what if it's a home run derby?:rotfl2:

200.webp

DDWXLN9XsAEnidf.jpg

well, at least the Brewers lost too, so we remain 1 game back. The yo-yo continues. Glad it was Pena and Rondon thrown in there, save the other arms for the next 2. Rizzo finds yet another way to get on base as LO, lol....not sure what's left. Can someone maybe slip some bad sushi to Turner , just to sideline him for oh, about 48 hours or so.:rolleyes1 Harper didn't look too happy with him bouncing around out there tho, during his at bat. He puts the gnat in Nats..pesky, pesky , pesky and hard to get. Pretty sure Jake not real happy with Tommy, but then again Jake did himself in by missing the play at first after that great play by Rizzo~ and walking Turner. The Ump didn't help things too much..those missed strike calls led to 2 runners getting on and then home in the 4th , I think? I am hopeful KB is about to bust out, SO due. Sloppy play, Miggy just not on tonight with the steals and we did connect the bat but just very predictable stuff. Annoying ~ shake it off and come out blazing tomorrow.

I'm volunteering at Winshape Camp this week at my church so I went to bed at 8:30 last night. Yes, 8:30. Wasn't too surprised at the score this AM based on the part of the game I watched.
Not sure why we are so hot or cold this year but it sure is frustrating. And I'm sure they feel the same way.

Saw some chatter on FB about Miggy "throwing Jake under the bus" in some comments. Anyone know what that's all about??

Have a happy Wednesday, all!

I'm volunteering at Winshape Camp this week at my church so I went to bed at 8:30 last night. Yes, 8:30. Wasn't too surprised at the score this AM based on the part of the game I watched.
Not sure why we are so hot or cold this year but it sure is frustrating. And I'm sure they feel the same way.

Saw some chatter on FB about Miggy "throwing Jake under the bus" in some comments. Anyone know what that's all about??

Have a happy Wednesday, all!
well~ the media certainly wants to fuel any ******* or fraying of the team. I went through twitter after the game and fans were calling for Miggys head on the 7 steals. I agree with Miggy on some, but I do think the Ump did rob Jake of several strike calls. HOWEVER...Jake does have a slow delivery (Pat and Ron were pointing it out all night and his high leg kick allows runners to go).

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-c...ke-arrieta-under-bus-after-nationals-run-wild

Jakes interview was quite the opposite, saying Turner is just that good/fast, doesn't matter who's behind the plate etc. Took full responsibility saying pitching was the only hole.

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-c...makes-it-obvious-jake-arrieta-no-max-scherzer

I would love to have heard the words Harper had for Turner last night..he was NOT happy about all the distraction he was causing on second during Harper's AB.

AND the Giants beat the Rockies...go figure.

On the up side, Schwarb's had a decent evening~Schwarber (2-for-4, 2RBI) W for Iowa

The hot and cold, is literally a .500 team. Need JHey, Zobie back. On top of all this I read that Addie's soon to be Ex , while refusing to speak with MLB, thus hindering any abuse investigation, has her PR guy lining up interviews and appearances. To do what? Lecture on the wonderful life of a baseball wife :rolleyes: ? Bryce Harper rumors flying all over the place again...ASB can't get here soon enough.

Last edited:
Miggy shared too much and now Anthony has spoken :scared:
Here is the interview, but twitter just highlighting the more specific responses
#Cubs Rizzo responds to Miggy comments
Cubs catcher Miguel Montero was frustrated after Tuesday’s game when the Nationals stole seven bases against Jake Arrieta in a 6–1 win.

“It really sucked because the stolen base go on me,” Montero said after the game. “When you really look at it, the pitcher doesn’t give me any time. It’s like, ‘Oh, yeah, Miggy can’t throw anybody out.’ Yeah, but my pitchers don’t hold anybody on. It’s tough. … I don’t get a chance to throw. That’s the reason they were running left and right. They knew he was slow to the plate, simple as that.”

Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo was asked about Montero’s comments during an interview on Chicago radio station ESPN 1000 on Wednesday.

“It’s frustrating,” Rizzo said. “Whenever anyone steals seven bases, Miggy gets frustrated. It’s the second time barking in the media and not going to his teammates. As a veteran like he is, you’d think he’d make smart decisions about it.”

Rizzo said he wasn’t aware of Montero’s comments until he got back to the team hotel after Tuesday’s game.

“We win as a team, we lose as a team,” Rizzo said. “When you start pointing fingers, that just labels you as a selfish player. I disagree. I think we have another catcher who throws out anyone who steals. and he has Jon Lester who doesn’t pick over, that’s no secret. I think going to the media with things like that, I don’t think it’s very professional.”

Will Rizzo say anything to Montero?

“Something like this, it’s out in the public now,” Rizzo said. “Things that get handled over coffee and in the clubhouse are things people never know about. This is all over ‘Sportscenter’ last night and we’re talking about it today. We win as 25, we lose as 25, and to call your teammates out via the press, what’s the point?”

— Carrie Muskat

Not sure Rizzo commenting to media any better tho, really...:confused3
on Twitter you will get~

Rizzo on Miggy's comments: (Riz DID sound half awake and not real happy in general)

"This is all over TV last night. Now I gotta talk about it today. We win as 25 lose as 25. To call teammates out? What’s the point?"

mentioned this is the second time Miggy has "barked" to the media about something

He said that "we have a catcher that has no problem throwing runners out, as a vet he should know not to go throw a teammate under bus in media"

"When you point fingers you're a selfish player. We have another catcher that throws everyone out."

Kelso-Says-Burn-That-70s-Show.gif

I know Riz has a special bond w/Rossy and Miggy's oops was very un-Rossy-like, making Riz even more sensitive to it. Theo /Joe & Co. have a pretty big fire to put out. This just totally stinks after that W against the Nat's.

wow..if Riz is willing to state this openly, Miggy is all but gone. I know Joe wanted him in for his bat, which he did connect as well as anyone last night, but Jakes slow delivery and Miggy's less than cannon arm maybe not the best combo with a guy like Turner on the opposing team. Jake and Miggy usually really good together, but really feeling the Ross~ loss/ leadership right about now.

Looks like Caratini(Iowa) might want to take note of all this

I'm going to repeat here...when Theo made the intoxicated decision to crown surf the Trophy, and it was then was dropped in Boston and the flags broke off...bad juju. It could not BE more symbolic of this season..dropping one by one.

Last edited:
Miggy DFA'D...Caratini called up.

Heart.......

is.........

broken.......

No grand slam from Miggy against the Dodgers last year ='s no W.S. run. While Zobie got the glory (and yes he WAS key) it was Miggy's single to get last run which we needed to WIN W.S. Add in playing with intense back pain, mentoring Willy and PITCHING?
Going to miss him...BIG TIME and so is the team whether they know it or not.
RIGHT HERE:
Montero’s biggest sin is that he no longer produces like the two-time All-Star he had been with the Arizona Diamondbacks, where he developed a reputation for blunt honesty and a willingness to mentor young players. The Cubs wanted that edge when they traded for Montero at the 2014 winter meetings, part of a dramatic makeover that included signing ace pitcher Jon Lester to a $155 million megadeal.

Thank YOU Miggy...Team#47 4EVER

giphy.gif

Gave everything he had....

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-28_12-16-11.jpeg
    upload_2017-6-28_12-16-11.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Said it last year and saying it again now.. we will NEVER see a team like last years, ever again. Thank you Miggy , for giving all you had to get the Cubs the Trophy. If Theo is going to go cut throat, guess Jake's bags should be half packed by now along with anyone else who isn't producing, which is half the team. I am actually glad that the silver lining is Miggy's departure is as a W.S. Champ, because that is what he is. Hope Monty can stay on an upswing, he and Miggy were great together. I disagree with this move, but Theo had to make a point. Here's a thought, media not allowed in until players have had say....15 minutes after a game?

Last edited:
Said it last year and saying it again now.. we will NEVER see a team like last years, ever again. Thank you Miggy , for giving all you had to get the Cubs the Trophy. If Theo is going to go cut throat, guess Jake's bags should be half packed by now along with anyone else who isn't producing, which is half the team. I am actually glad that the silver lining is Miggy's departure is as a W.S. Champ, because that is what he is. Hope Monty can stay on an upswing, he and Miggy were great together. I disagree with this move, but Theo had to make a point. Here's a thought, media not allowed in until players have had say....15 minutes after a game?

Fortunately or unfortunately (sometimes both), many times it's about what have you done for me lately and not what you've done in the past. Sometimes being brutally honest can be advantageous, sometimes not. I don't think he should've thrown Jake under the bus, per se, but his point was valid...it's a mark against the catcher. I also think that would've been a better conversation with Joe than with the press. Problem is, if everyone knows the pitcher has a slow delivery and the catcher doesn't have a great arm, then of course they're going to run. No way we can ever have the same team as last year and several are struggling. I think lack of production (this year) and the likely dissent this did or would cause amongst the team, maybe not the worst move, but does seem a bit harsh. Unfortunately, firing someone is never easy unless you're cold and heartless. 15 minute cool down after the game. Good idea, but you know the press would have a cow.

Do we have an update on KB's ankle?

per my favorite, Mark Grote:
Kris Bryant says no DL. Says he feels a lot better today. Bryant says "doesn't expect to be sidelined long. Some of the rehab was more painful than the actual injury"

(however, we HAVE heard that before from the Cubs only to have the player DL 4-5 days later,) not going to be surprised if he isn't starting again until after the All Star break. Thrilled if it's earlier, but not gonna be surprised. FO seems to be coasting along until after the break on everything, except releasing Miggy for talking to the press, AFTER he talked to the press risking his own safety as a catcher defending Rizzo on his Padre slide. No one had a problem using Miggy to be the Media interpreter for Chapman, and keeping Chapman's head in game 7 tho. Classy move Riz, for then telling the media what you think of Miggy. A little salty that Willy clocked a homer as LO? Cutting Mig's isn't going to bring Rossy back for you or solve whatever problems the other 24 are having. Even if Rizzo was acting on Theo's puppet strings, not acceptable. The suits just may want to have a little pow wow with the *team*. I'm a Cub fan forever, but I sure don't support hypocritical behavior by any part of the organization. Zobie went MIA weeks ago..dodging the upcoming bullets. I know the crap that goes on..we have seen maybe 3%? That's what makes this bogus..can't even manage 3% without tarnishing things. Back to playing baseball boys...you have no scapegoats left now, own it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter