Chewlery

cabmom

DIS Cast Member<br><font color="blue">The Tag Fair
Hi everyone, my 8 yr old son has ADD. He is a constant chewer. He chews his collars and cuffs on his shirts. I'm going to be travelling to Buffalo area on the 24th weekend. Do any of you know of any stores that carry chewlery? I'm specifically looking for the pencil toppers. I think he would probably be teased if he had the necklace or the bracelet.
Thanks in advance!

Marilynn

My son is a chewer too. At school he chews on his shirt collar and we just deal with it. At home he chews just about anything, but he will use the P & Q's chewy's at home, but he definately will not when anyone else is around to see him, like out in public or at school.

This is kinda funny. His teacher bought the clear tube pencil toppers for the whole class, number 1, so my son would not feel different & number 2, his teacher believes chewing helps stimulate learning (I think studies are being conducted on this). Anyway they had to discontinue it because alot of the boys in the class room were putting their spit down the tube & then flicking it around the classroom! Yuck! But it sounded like a good idea at the time :O)

I was just thinking about the 'spit in the tube' when I checked out the first website - otherwise what a great idea! Wish I had know of these products 10 years ago, when my DD was in kindergarten and chewed/ate her backpack strap completely off, and then the year later ate the collar off her winter jacket (so much gone that I couldn't use the jacket for her younger sister and had to throw it out) Now DD is 15, and has been seen chewing the rubber toggle on her skating warm-up jacket...

She never sucked her thumb or used a pacifier, but she destroys pen caps and pencil easers like crazy...

The tubing looks like aquarium tubing. The bracelets look like the ones we buy at the dollar store for party favors, but the necklaces and clip-ons look extra-good for chewing. Thanks for the links!

My DD9 actually has a special "chewy" that her OT got for her, since she was chewing up her pencil grips and chewing on her hair. We had her get us one for home, too, since DD was chewing a lot at home, too. We have been fortunate that our DD has a great teacher who will not tolerate anyone making any derogatory comments about our DD (or anyone else, for that matter). I would hope that family members would be loving enough that they wouldn't make any comments about your DS, but I know that it's not a perfect world. Good luck! BTW, I do like the idea of the chewlery, but have never heard of it. I think my DD would chew through it all, though--she's already been through one "chewy" at school that she chewed a hole through!

I know that you want something that will not stand out but my DS uses Blue resistance tubing. We get it from the abilitations catalog. People use it for working out but we use it to CHEW! It comes in lots of thickness. We use the blue. just a hint if you do not have a problem with laytex allergies don't get the laytex free. It is hard and it splinters when chewed. Good luck We have had the chewing problems, Ds chewed the bottons off his shirt, the collars, the cuff and the skin between his thumb and pointer finger. It is terrilbe.

D said:
I know that you want something that will not stand out but my DS uses Blue resistance tubing. We get it from the abilitations catalog. People use it for working out but we use it to CHEW! It comes in lots of thickness. We use the blue. just a hint if you do not have a problem with laytex allergies don't get the laytex free. It is hard and it splinters when chewed. Good luck We have had the chewing problems, Ds chewed the bottons off his shirt, the collars, the cuff and the skin between his thumb and pointer finger. It is terrilbe.

Thanks for the info. I asked the SERT at his school to order the bracelet and necklace for him and to also order the catalogue.

Marilynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter