Chef Mickey's vs. Garden Grill vs. 'Ohana

Lindsey_p87

Earning My Ears
DH and I will be at Disney in September and are thinking about trying a character meal. On our last trip in December, we did Garden Grill breakfast for the first time and had such a great experience that we would like to do another character meal this trip. We are conflicted about which one to do, but we know we'd like to do breakfast.

Garden Grill - I would love to do this one again but maybe we should branch out? We love the location and the "farmer" characters here.
Chef Mickey's - We are doing a split stay including BLT so this one is very convenient. Also DH says he really wants to do this one, but I've heard mixed reviews.
'Ohana - We went for dinner in December and it's now DH's favorite place to eat at Disney. Not sure about breakfast though.

Which of these 3 would you choose? Take into consideration that we have no kids and are not particular about which characters we meet.

Thanks!

Garden Grill is my favorite of the 3. But since you've already done it I would probably go Ohana for a new experience.

If you're looking at breakfast, Chef Mickey's breakfast is the most consistent of their meals. 'Ohana is a pretty straightforward offering relative to food variety.

I would like to pitch a wild card and suggest one of the following:
  • Tusker House: Best character meal on property for a combo of food + fun, any meal. Seriously.
  • Bon Voyage breakfast: You did fur last time, why not some princesses + princes? The food here is supposed to be good.
  • 1900 Park Fare: Breakfast and dinner have very different line ups, and it's at GF, so perfectly reasonably convenient from BLT. Breakfast is Alice, Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins and Pooh/Tigger, generally. Dinner is Cinderella, her prince, and often the two step-sisters, who are a riot. As face characters go, Alice and the step-sisters tend to be among the best for overall experience on property.

Garden grill is my favorite character (and just in general) breakfast anywhere, followed closely by Tusker House so I second that. However, if my hubby said he really wanted to go somewhere, I'd make that happen... gotta get him to want to go back to Disney soon!!

For adults without kids I would especially seriously consider the Goofy & Pals character breakfast at Ravello. Hands down the best character meal.

I love garden Grill and have gone back multiple times for breakfast and have not tried the other 2. For me it always comes down to being in the park and the ability to get the PPO and early ride on Soarin.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm now considering Tusker House as an option - I've heard a lot of good things but I wasn't sure if the breakfast there was that great. Or if we wanted to take a lot of time out of our (only) AK day.

If possible, I would vote for doing more than 1! Going back to Garden Grill as one since you loved it so much, and also trying a new one. I have seen the most consistent great reviews about Tusker House and Bon Voyage lately. I will be trying Garden Grill and Tusker House on my upcoming trip for the first time.

I find the Garden Grille to be the most relaxing of the character meals....Chef Mickeys is loud, and IMO a bit overrated....Ohana is fun as well, but I am not a big fan of the food

If you're looking at breakfast, Chef Mickey's breakfast is the most consistent of their meals. 'Ohana is a pretty straightforward offering relative to food variety.

I would like to pitch a wild card and suggest one of the following:
  • Tusker House: Best character meal on property for a combo of food + fun, any meal. Seriously.
  • Bon Voyage breakfast: You did fur last time, why not some princesses + princes? The food here is supposed to be good.
  • 1900 Park Fare: Breakfast and dinner have very different line ups, and it's at GF, so perfectly reasonably convenient from BLT. Breakfast is Alice, Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins and Pooh/Tigger, generally. Dinner is Cinderella, her prince, and often the two step-sisters, who are a riot. As face characters go, Alice and the step-sisters tend to be among the best for overall experience on property.

I agree with these suggestions. TH is definitely our favorite "Mickey" meal at WDW, but CM breakfast is fine and you do get to see the Fab 5. If you really want to branch out and see other characters, 1900 is awesome and you get quite the bang for your buck in terms of the number of characters you meet. The food is also very good.

TH breakfast is very good. Or, if you're planning on Rivers of Light anyway, consider the Tusker House ROL Dining Package for the preferred seating? Dinner is one of the better buffets going, with some great variety.

I really love Chef Mickeys. Food is great, as well as the characters and atmosphere. Ohana is great, but I prefer dinner there.

TH breakfast is very good. Or, if you're planning on Rivers of Light anyway, consider the Tusker House ROL Dining Package for the preferred seating? Dinner is one of the better buffets going, with some great variety.

I was considering the dining package - but is Rivers of Light worth it? I have yet to see it and we're not big "show" people.

I know that Chef Mickey's does not get a lot of rave reviews, butmy family loves dinner there. It is pretty loud, but for us, that's part of the appeal.

We also never miss 'Ohana breakfast. Lilo and Stitch are among our favorites, but we like the breakfast that is served family style so it is a win win.

I would also suggest you think about 1900 Park Fare for two adults. The Tremaine family is a hoot, and you and your husband can really interact with them if you wish. The food is good for buffet food, and there is a lovely variety.

Breakfast? 1900 Park Fare is a great option as well. Alice, The Mad Hatter and a few of the Pooh friends are there. Food is very good.

Akershus breakfast is a very good character meal if you like the Princesses. The foos is family style and the Princess interaction is very good.

I liked TH breakfast, however of all of the meals we went to, this one took the longest. If you want to take the time while you are in DAK I think you will enjoy it.

Chef Mickeys is terrible IMO. Food is not good, and when we were there the buffet was a disaster and not kept clean.
Ohana is good but honestly you get more variety of food at Garden Grill....and better quality (more fresh) at Garden Grill. Cinamon buns, POG juice, mixed fruit bowl, tater tots, mickey waffels, choc sauce for the waffels as well as syrup, bacon, sausage etc etc. The food is so fresh and delicious, its really not to be missed. Plus Chip & Dale are so adorable. :)

Also FWIW, from what I understand, Ohana doesnt serve bacon as a standard anymore. I believe its ham or back bacon?? Apparently some have asked for bacon and got it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter