Check In Conversation

The pre-registration process seems a little odd... by doing that you are technically getting your room assignment, but you are limiting yourself too. If your room isn't ready, that doesn't mean they don't have others that are ready. It would make more sense if it were some type of "first-come first serve pre-reg". So that it was more like a sequence number and if you were the first one to prereg, you'd get the first room that came available. Otherwise, if you were the first to prereg, you could technically be the last one to get a room that day.

:confused3

I've been pretty lucky and never had to wait to check-in. When we went to WDW earlier this year we stayed at ASMo and the people in front of me checked-in and told their room wasn't ready and it would be a few more hours. I was checking in with 2 rooms booked and our rooms were ready.

As I begin to type, I prepare to take cover - for surely I will prompt some strong opinions with this...

The more I think about this topic, the more it appears that Disney runs its Anaheim resorts quite differently than its Central Florida resorts. First, with respect to pricing. The Anaheim resorts pricing system functions much like "industry standards", in that the prices ebb and flow with demand, even on a daily basis. Check a room at Disneyland hotel for a given date and the price may be $205, check again next week and it has dropped to $179. Wait another week and it may be up to $265. This is exactly the way at works at the vast majority of hotels. At WDW, the rack prices are set in advance and do not change. Discounts, such as passholder rates, are offered within a given time frame and do not vary at all within that window. If the rack rate at the Wilderness Lodge is $199 and the Florida resident / Annual passholder rate is $129, those are the only rates anyone will be offered for room-only accomodations. The rate will never rise to, say, $250. Even if there is only one room left.

Second, at Disneyland resorts, you are issued a paper card that can be used to charge purchases back to your room. The person ringing your purchase types the number into the register - much the same way most hotels that offer this service do. At WDW, your room key, theme park pass and charging privilege come on a single "Key to the World."

Third, making a dining reservation at a Disneyland resort restaurant is much like everywhere. They take your name. At WDW, you are given a confirmation number that can be used to check reservations. And, all of your reservations are grouped together in the system so that a CM can see them all at once. And, they can be tied to resort stay on the 90+10 program. At Disneyland, regardless of whether you are a local day visitor or resort guest, the reservation policy is the same.

Fourth, the Disneyland Hotel charges a Resort Fee. A practice common as an "industry standard" that is used to be able to advertise a lower room rate. Honestly, is a newspaper and a few local calls worth $10 a night? WDW resorts, of course, do not charge a Resort Fee. To the extent that room rates are inflated by it, the price you pay is known in advance. You are never surprised at check-in.

So, quite honestly, I am not too surprised to read that the 3:00pm policy really isn't a policy (more like a guideline) and that it's akin to industry standard. With all due fairness to Disneyland resorts - they are fairly new to the game. Disney didn't own any resorts in Anaheim until just a few years ago. But, they've opted to use "industry standards" in a few cases that seem to compromise "guest experience."

Taking cover now.

I agree too gcurling - you are right on point. I will say though that as a DVC member, people complain all the time about the check in at DVC resorts as well. They want to get in early and often can't, and sometimes have to wait after check in time as well for their room. My personal experience is fine with DVC, but at GC, it has always been terrible (lost reservations, long waits at check in, extra long waits to check luggage, etc.). Disney is not perfect by any stretch, but their service can be lacking and I don't understand why they don't work harder to fix some of the glaring problems the reoccur.

With all due fairness to Disneyland resorts - they are fairly new to the game. Disney didn't own any resorts in Anaheim until just a few years ago. But, they've opted to use "industry standards" in a few cases that seem to compromise "guest experience."

I did not know this one. Disney did not own the Disneyland Hotel? When did they take ownership?

Disney did not own the Disneyland Hotel? When did they take ownership?
Come to think of it, it has been a little while. About 15 years or so.

gcurling said:
Come to think of it, it has been a little while. About 15 years or so.

So they didn't own it when it first opened?? Sorry I seem amazed, but I had no idea they were not the original owners. Can you tell me the story behind it? Thanks!!

5infam said:
My personal experience is fine with DVC, but at GC, it has always been terrible (lost reservations, long waits at check in, extra long waits to check luggage, etc.).
QUOTE]

This makes me worry. We just recently returned from our stay at the GC and had a tremendously positive experience from check-in to check-out. Got our theme park view room and was able to check into it at noon and stayed until after 11 am on our check out day. A GC cast member/manager helped us up with our bags and wouldn't take a tip. Didn't have a long wait for check-in or for baggage service. Returned to find flower petals on our bed, slippers, a Redwood Plant a Legacy seed for my wife and I for our anniversary as well as balloons and a birthday package for our son's birthday (our anniversary and son's birthday are the same day.) Overall we thought the GC was a terrific hotel and are looking forward to staying there again and again. I'm not expecting that kind of service all the time that I go there, but I hope it isn't as bad as some are saying.

jasonk5 said:
This makes me worry. We just recently returned from our stay at the GC and had a tremendously positive experience from check-in to check-out. Got our theme park view room and was able to check into it at noon and stayed until after 11 am on our check out day. A GC cast member/manager helped us up with our bags and wouldn't take a tip. Didn't have a long wait for check-in or for baggage service. Returned to find flower petals on our bed, slippers, a Redwood Plant a Legacy seed for my wife and I for our anniversary as well as balloons and a birthday package for our son's birthday (our anniversary and son's birthday are the same day.) Overall we thought the GC was a terrific hotel and are looking forward to staying there again and again. I'm not expecting that kind of service all the time that I go there, but I hope it isn't as bad as some are saying.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I really think it depends on when you go. I tend to go around the holidays (Thanksgiving or Christmas), and it is always sold out. I always stay on DVC points as well, and sometimes they make me feel special about that, and others make us feel like we are robbing the joint. The last time I was there was just a complete disaster as they had a large corporate event there the night before, where everyone got drunk and wanted to stay the night last minute. They packed the place in, and that added to the mess the next morning. The drunk folks were not so quick to get out of their rooms either. You know there is a problem when the lobby is so crowded, it is like walking out of the park after Fantasmic lets out. Everyone will have different experiences. Like I said, a lot of people on the DVC boards complain about check in, and there is always those that say - "In the last 23 years I have been going, I have NEVER had a problem with check in - as a matter of fact, I get my room at 10:00 am Every Year!!" So like I said, everyone will have different experiences. The key is to keep cool. I find I get farther down the road quicker with the staff when I am nice about things versus yelling at them. Although, I have been very upset at the GC and did have to go to management before - which really didn't help much. I think it is just a poorly run shop during busy times.

gcurling - thanks for the link - I had no idea!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter