~*~cheat Sheets For Chat~*~

nativetxn

<font color=teal>Moderator<br><font color=red>Hono
If you are new to chat (or not so new) and find it a little confusing, here are some instructions you can print off and use during chat. I also urge you to attend at least one Instructional Chat which are offered every other week or so, depending on Beanie's schedule and my schedule.

You will find a link to the chat room if you go to the DIS homepage and scroll down the list of informational sites, on the left side of the page, to the Community/Misc category. Or...you can just CLICK HEREhttp://198.65.141.55/chat/world/html/index.html

On your first visit to the chat room you will have to create a user name and password and choose which chat program you want to use. I believe that Ichat is the easiest and most fun program to use for DIS chat. You can download it free <b>HERE</b>. The Ichat works best if you are using the newest version of Internet Explorer browser. You will find the download site, if you CLICK HEREhttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp. Both of these programs are free.

<i><b>You may experience problems logging in if the option on the menu is set to DEFAULT. Before you click "log me in" make sure that a chat program has been chosen. If you have downloaded the IChat Plugin, be sure to select that option (ichat works best with our chat room) or choose java, html or java lite.</b></i>

I will include the instructions for both Ichat and non Ichat users.

EMOTING

If you are using ichat, you will see a list of emotions to the right of the chat window and to the right of the list of emotins you should see a list of the people in the chatroom.

If you are using Ichat and do not see a list of words like "applaud" and "smile" go to the little upside down black triangle over the upper left corner of the chat window. Click on the triangle, choose options and make sure that the "show emotions list" is checked. The emotions should now appear to the right of the chat window. If you see only 7 emotions in the list you may add more. To add emotions, go to the black triangle over the upper left corner of the dialog box and:

click on the triangle
click on emotions
add all or choose the emotions you wish
click "okay"

If you double left click on an emotion you will perform that emotion. For example, if I double left clicked on the word "applaud" the screen would show that "nativetxn applauds fervently"

You can direct an emotion to another person by:

highlighting the emotion
highlighting a name
right clicking on the highlighted name will cause another box to appear
Choose the sixth option to "send" the emotion.

If you are not using ichat you can still emote, you just have to do a little more typing.

To perform an emotion type a slash / and the emotion. So if I typed /applaud the screen would show that nativetxn applauds fervently.

To send an emotion to another person type a slash / the emotion one space and the name of the person to whom you wish to send an emotion. If I typed /applaud snuggles the screen would show that nativetxn applauds snuggles fervently.

You can use this method with lots of different emotions, just pick one and try it.

Private Messages

A private message can only be seen by you and the person you message.

If you are using ichat, you use the same technique you used to send an emotion to another person.

Highlight a name
Right click on the highlighted name
A new box appears
Choose the first option and a private message box will appear
Type your message
Hit "send" or enter

If you are not using ichat type a slash / the word tell, a name and your message. The line would look something like this: /tell snuggles I have to answer the phone.

When you receive a private message a private message box will appear on the screen and only you can see it. If you minimize this private message box a green "dot" will appear on that space of your toolbar whenever that person sends you another message. Simply maximize that screen to read the message.

Typing in pink

You can change the color of your words to pink by using a colon before your text. If I were to type :Hi Snuggles, it would appear on screen as <font color=pink>Hi Snuggles</font>
Sometimes typing in pink helps get the attention of others.

Bold, Italics and <u>Underlining</u>

You can use html tags in chat for a few things

Type a "b" between <> before your text and you get bold text
Type an "i" between <> first and you get italics
Type an "u" between <> first and you get <u>underlined</u>

If you type "b" between <> then "i" between <> then "u" between <> first you get <u>bold underlined italics</u>.

You can also choose to use bold, italics or underlining on only one word or a few words of your sentence. To do this you simply use "b" between <> before the word or words you wish to be bold and follow those words with /b between <>. The /b between <> stops the bold. Use the same technique for italics except use /i between <> after your text, and to stop underlining type /u between <>.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Chat can seem overwhelming when you are new, because it can move very fast, I know, I was new once too. If you are new to chat try to remember to read the chat window by reading the line just above the typing box first, if you try to read starting at the top you can get very confused. After a while, you will see that you are keeping up with chat easily. I promise :)

Now, don't give up! Keep coming to chat and it will get easier and easier with each visit. DIS Chat is a very friendly and fun place and I hope you will join us.
chat4.gif

Katholyn

Thanks for posting that, since my chat instruction lesson, I had forgotten a lot.

Just want to bump this up since it's almost time for chat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter