Cheapness In Seattle (A 2019 PNW Trip Report - 2020 update added on 6/25

If you were alive, you probably remember hearing about the eruption at the time.

Yes, our cars were covered in ash, well a light covering.

It ultimately left significant deposits in 11 states and two Canadian provinces.

:wave: We were one of those!

We only made it partway before being overtaken by swarms of bloodthirsty gnats. So we turned around and went back down to sit through the rest of the ranger talk. It was still better than visiting Flamingo, Florida.

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

PORTLAND WOMEN’S FORUM
State Scenic Viewpoint

I took one glance, saw the first three words, and thought, “Well, that’s not for me,” and sped off. Whoops.

That'll learn ya to pay attention to the small print!

We did stop at the actual Vista House, from which we could at least see this view:

Nice!

On the not-so-nice side, dozens of people had decided to leave the path and swim or sunbathe at the base of the falls, which made it very difficult to get photos without random strangers in the shot. Win some, lose some.

You really need to learn to Photoshop those people out. The Clone Stamp tool does nicely for that kind of thing.

So, here's what it would look like if gravity pulled water sideways.

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

I liked the view of the double-decker falls from below better.

Didn't @pkondz post pictures from that waterfall in the recent past?

I had a pasta Bolognese that was very tasty.

Mmmmm....pasta

Yes, our cars were covered in ash, well a light covering.

:wave: We were one of those!

Wow! That's pretty amazing the ash could travel that far.

That'll learn ya to pay attention to the small print!

You would think so, wouldn't you? But probably not.

You really need to learn to Photoshop those people out. The Clone Stamp tool does nicely for that kind of thing.

Maybe someday I will. That would require me getting Photoshop, of course. Right now, this is a no-frills TR, so what I get is what you see.

Didn't @pkondz post pictures from that waterfall in the recent past?

Sure did. We hit some similar spots in this region.

Mmmmm....pasta

One reason why I can't bring myself to do the keto diet.

I haven't read ahead to any of the chatter, so please excuse any of my attempts at lowbrow humor that has been repeated...

We followed directions to a parking area for “Second Beach”, the middle beach in a line of three sandy areas starting with…wait for it…First Beach and ending with Third Beach.

Sometimes simplicity has its place.

The most obvious and striking feature are “sea stacks”

Aren't those amazing! Our most famous is "Haystack Rock" here in Lincoln City. Iconic!

I feel like I should mention that this doesn’t often happen when people meet us for the first time.

For the ones that do, you have emesis bags to hand out?

one for washing and one for re-hydrating, and wished her well. Every parent has been there.

If it's not this, it's managing a temper tantrum, cleaning up a blow out, or telling them they really don't need to go to the hospital for a skinned knee.

We drove for another couple of hours to the last stop in the park—the Hoh Rain Forest.

Did you greet it with the customary, "Yo!"?

We crave adventurous meals that challenge the palate, creating new combinations and taste sensations that could never be achieved anywhere else, naturally with a perfect wine pairing to match. We certainly would never pass up the chance to find a wine with a delicate nose, and notes of oak, with earthy undertones.

Equally as delicious as a good burger depending on the mood.

I do not go around munching on bark or oak leaves. How do you know what oak tastes like?

I think, at least for me, it's more the way it smells, sort of? Hard to describe, but I think it's the way you get a hint of its scent as you taste?

I keep trying to move our home decorating in that direction but it’s always vetoed by the Budget Committee. And also the Interior Decorations Committee.

Then her value is infinite.

. I also got some fries and some beans, because they’re very good for your heart. My family was really happy I had ordered them as well, since we’d all be sleeping in one room together that night.

That way you could do the pull my finger trick and they'd have no escape!! SMART move!

I’d give it a solid B,

Did you miss the 'M' after the 'B'?

An event of that magnitude tends to leave a big impression.

The mountain probably thought so too.

Even though it was early afternoon, the traffic around Portland was terrible,

There is no time of day anymore that it's not.

but I completely missed the overlook. It’s called the Portland Women’s Forum State Scenic Viewpoint, which I had looked up and should have remembered. But I didn’t. Anyway, the problem is that the actual sign looks more like this:

Here's one I took from that viewpoint last Christmas time. Worth the stop, but the wind almost took me out that day.

You know dam well what’s coming here.

I'd be disappointed if it weren't.

I feel bad for the people who are forced to stand there and count the dam fish as they swim by. That’s got to be a job you foist on your summer interns. I
I think they still employ the help of the public. ?? Not sure, but they used to.

I'll add my favorite that I've taken over the years:

I haven't read ahead to any of the chatter, so please excuse any of my attempts at lowbrow humor that has been repeated...

Lowbrow humor is always welcome. It's not like I'm above repeating some dam jokes.

Sometimes simplicity has its place.

It's easy to remember, anyway.

Aren't those amazing! Our most famous is "Haystack Rock" here in Lincoln City. Iconic!

Thought about trying to get there, but it was a little too far out of the way.

For the ones that do, you have emesis bags to hand out?

What kind of budget do you think we have here?

If it's not this, it's managing a temper tantrum, cleaning up a blow out, or telling them they really don't need to go to the hospital for a skinned knee.

::yes::

Did you greet it with the customary, "Yo!"?

:rotfl2: I see what you did there.

Equally as delicious as a good burger depending on the mood.

I'll take a burger over something that tastes like tree bark any day.

I think, at least for me, it's more the way it smells, sort of? Hard to describe, but I think it's the way you get a hint of its scent as you taste?

:confused3 I doubt I'd be able to differentiate between oak or any other kind of wood.

Then her value is infinite.

You're right, of course.

That way you could do the pull my finger trick and they'd have no escape!! SMART move!

(maniacal laugh)

Did you miss the 'M' after the 'B'?

Well, I wouldn't say I "missed" it....

The mountain probably thought so too.

It certainly had a life-changing experience.

There is no time of day anymore that it's not.

:faint:

There it is. That building just adds a little bit to the view, doesn't it?

I'd be disappointed if it weren't.

We aim to please around here.

I think they still employ the help of the public. ?? Not sure, but they used to.

I'll add my favorite that I've taken over the years:

Gorgeous! And it posted the right way, too!

By the way, here's the map for Day 3's travels. Ignore the bike and travel time. For some reason, Google maps wouldn't let me draw a path to multiple destinations for a car, so I had to use the bike to get it to come up. I don't know why every site I normally use for my TR's hates me at the moment, but I'll keep trying. Hoping to get the next update posted tomorrow.

Capture.JPG

By the way, here's the map for Day 3's travels. Ignore the bike and travel time. For some reason, Google maps wouldn't let me draw a path to multiple destinations for a car, so I had to use the bike to get it to come up. I don't know why every site I normally use for my TR's hates me at the moment, but I'll keep trying. Hoping to get the next update posted tomorrow.

View attachment 457868
Weird that it wouldn't let you switch to car... or that it even let you do it via bike...

Chapter 4: And Now For Something Completely Different

We woke up to good news and bad news.

The good news was that we were in an Embassy Suites, which meant we had a rare night with plenty of room for 6 people and the best free hotel breakfast we’ve been able to find.

The bad news was that apparently every Little League, softball, and soccer team in the greater Portland area had also found a good rate on this hotel and had chosen to stay there for the weekend. It took a bit of time to get our breakfast and find a table. But you’ll be happy to know that we persevered through adversity, because we are not quitters. At least, not when it comes to breakfast food.

Our itinerary gave us the morning to spend in Portland. When I looked for things to do in the area, I started with our normal go-to vacation activities. I looked for National Park sites, and considered the Lewis & Clark National Historic Site out near the coast—this was the area where they finally completed their journey and reached the Pacific Ocean. But that was going to take us too far out of our way. I looked at all of the other usual attractions: science museums, sports stadiums, amusement parks…not much popped up on the radar. Portland does have the world’s largest independent bookstore, and I am a huge sucker for bookstores, so that was a consideration.

For a while, I was seriously considering spending the morning in the little town of McMinnville, Oregon (now THERE’s a vacation destination!) at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, home of Howard Hughes’ Spruce Goose. This is the largest plane made entirely of wood (constructed during WWII at a time when there were serious restrictions on steel, aluminum, and other common building materials). It flew exactly once, about one mile at an altitude of 70 feet.

However, we were planning on visiting another aviation museum later in the trip, so there was muted enthusiasm from the family. I had remembered reading about @pkondz 's visit to the Portland area in his trip report, where he had spent time visiting the Portland Japanese Garden. While pkondz is the DISBoards’ Leading Expert On Japanese Gardens, my knowledge of them can best be summed up as follows:
  • They are gardens.
  • They are built in a style created by the Japanese people.
Still, I appreciate natural beauty as much as anyone, and the rest of the family seemed enthusiastic about doing something a little different than we normally do on our trips. It’s nice to occasionally be reminded of the value of trying something new.

The gardens are located in a large city park (Washington Park) west of downtown which contains several other attractions, including the Oregon Zoo and Portland Children’s Museum. I knew parking would be at a premium, so we employed the Rope Drop Strategy once again and showed up a full hour before the Japanese Gardens opened. We found a space right out front with ease, paid the meter for a couple of hours, and then walked across the street away from the entrance.

What was across the street? I’m glad you asked (otherwise, this would have been a short update). There were tennis courts.

But, behind the tennis courts, the International Rose Test Garden takes up a few acres of space. As its name suggests, this is a garden where hybridists from all over the world send new varieties of roses for testing under various characteristics such as blooms, color, fragrance, and disease resistance. It opened in 1917. The garden is free, which means they’ll let anyone wander in. Even my family.

The morning was foggy and there was a light drizzle. It was almost like we were in the Pacific Northwest. But it was never rainy enough to bother us, so we spent an hour wandering and enjoying the beauty of the garden.

IMG_2164 (1).JPG

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

We have a tendency to push ourselves close to exhaustion when we travel, in our neverending effort to see ALL THE THINGS. It was nice to spend time aimlessly wandering here, not in a rush. Maybe I should look more into this “relaxation” idea people keep talking about.

IMG_2172.JPG

My favorites are the blooms that feature multiple colors. How do they do that?

IMG_2165.JPG

DSC_3181.JPG

DSC_3176.JPG

The Japanese Gardens opened at 10 a.m., so we got in line about 5 minutes prior and were among the first to enter that morning. I texted pkondz a photo of where we were, and he seemed pleasantly surprised that we had decided to visit. I told him I had no idea what the various parts of the garden were supposed to symbolize, and he said, “Me neither. I just think they’re pretty and I like them.”

Works for me.

DSC_3271.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

In order to keep little kids from becoming bored, there was a little scavenger hunt they could do to find various features in the gardens. Here you can see Drew working on his.

DSC_3289.JPG

I have to admit—this was hard! Some of the clues would just say something like, “three crickets” and you were supposed to work out on your own that it meant some rocks that look like crickets.

Or, we just missed it completely and fooled ourselves into thinking the rocks were the answer.

Anyway, the gardens were beautiful.

(Continued Next Post)

Last edited:
Chapter 4 continued

This was my favorite spot. I’m a big fan of water features. That’s why so many of our hikes involve waterfalls.

DSC_3327.JPG

DSC_3329.JPG

We really enjoyed our time there. The beauty made it well worth the time spent, and like I said before, it was nice to do something a little different.

It was getting close to lunchtime, so we reluctantly broke out the peanut butter, and—

Oh, no we didn’t!

We’d had PB&J for 3 days straight. It was time for a break. Plus, we had a lunch date who might revolt if we’d tried to serve her our usual lunch.

We drove an hour south of the city to Oregon’s capital, Salem. It was here that we FINALLY got to make a DIS-meet happen that had been overdue for years. We met @Steppesister at a burger joint in town called Bo & Vine.

I’m sure Liesa has many favorite local places she would recommend for meals in the area, yet for some reason she let me pick the restaurant. Maybe it’s because she knows I have the palate of a 4th-grader. Anyway, she said she had heard good things about this place and hadn’t tried it yet, so she was game. Mostly I picked it because the name made me laugh. Also, burgers.

Every DIS-meet I’ve ever had goes pretty much the same way—instead of meeting someone new and a stranger, it feels like I’m jumping right into a conversation with a good friend. It’s amazing how conversing with someone online can break down those awkward barriers and lead to familiarity. We immediately launched into talking about our trip thus far and where we were headed, while Liesa was in the final planning stages of her big Disney World trip with her kids (which you can read about right here!).

She’s a very sweet woman, and I was very glad to finally meet her in person. LIesa has much more refined tastes than I do, but I was thankful that she was still willing to meet us where we could chow down on ridiculous greasy burgers (excellent!).

IMG_2194.JPG

And bacon-cheddar tater tots (good, but a little dry).

And a giant tray of French fries which I was sure would not be eaten, only for my family to rise to the challenge.

This place had a good milkshake, too. In fact, I’m awarding Bo & Vine the first Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining for this vacation.

homer-simpson-drooling-a.jpg

Thanks for being willing to be seen with us, Liesa! It was great to finally meet you. And I assure you all that the placement of the trash can symbol in this photo was purely coincidental.

We spent the afternoon driving over the Cascade Range and into central Oregon. The drive through the mountains on Route 22 was gorgeous. When we reached the central valley, we stopped at an overlook for a nice view of the Three Sisters mountains (once again, the settlers were very creative with their names: South Sister, Middle Sister, and North Sister).

We reached the city of Bend by late afternoon. I was last here about 30 years ago, and the city has grown immensely since then. It’s become a vacation destination, with all sorts of family resorts built up in the area. In the summer, they cater to golfers, while winter allows the skiers to move in.

(Continued Next Post)

Last edited:
Chapter 4 continued

We found a deal on a suite at the Riverhouse on the Deschutes, a small resort that sits just north of town on both shores of the Deschutes River. It’s not huge and their only “resort” amenities are a sit-down restaurant and a couple of pools, but it was a nice setting and a good place to rest for a couple of nights.

Since we’d gone over the PB&J budget for lunch, we declared this to be a Pizza & Pool Party® night. So we spent the evening eating some decent pizza (from a place called Mondo Pizza) and swimming in the pool. It is my experience that no child will ever turn down a chance to swim in a hotel swimming pool. It could be 3 degrees, with the bodies of other swimmers frozen in the ice below, and they would still expect you to bring out a shovel so you can break the surface and let them swim. Oh, and you will be expected to join them, too.

We tried out both the outdoor pool (nice) and indoor pool (bath water) for the sake of being thorough. And then we called it a night, with the kids once again grateful that nobody had to sleep on the floor. Maybe we’re getting soft.

Day 4 travel map:

Capture.JPG

Coming Up Next: Some of the bluest blue.

Also: did you see him?

Last edited:
The good news was that we were in an Embassy Suites, which meant we had a rare night with plenty of room for 6 people and the best free hotel breakfast we’ve been able to find.
:woohoo:

The bad news was that apparently every Little League, softball, and soccer team in the greater Portland area had also found a good rate on this hotel and had chosen to stay there for the weekend.
Aw crap. :sad2:

At least, not when it comes to breakfast food.
If there was bacon involved and you did, then we'd have to take away your disdad's card.

For a while, I was seriously considering spending the morning in the little town of McMinnville, Oregon (now THERE’s a vacation destination!) at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, home of Howard Hughes’ Spruce Goose.
Very cool! That would have gotten me.

Still, I appreciate natural beauty as much as anyone, and the rest of the family seemed enthusiastic about doing something a little different than we normally do on our trips. It’s nice to occasionally be reminded of the value of trying something new.
Who moved my cheese?

The garden is free, which means they’ll let anyone wander in. Even my family.
Obviously they weren't warned you were coming or they would have done a policy change.

We have a tendency to push ourselves close to exhaustion when we travel, in our neverending effort to see ALL THE THINGS. It was nice to spend time aimlessly wandering here, not in a rush. Maybe I should look more into this “relaxation” idea people keep talking about.
What is this relaxation you speak of Kimosabe?

My favorites are the blooms that feature multiple colors. How do they do that?
Spray paint!

The Japanese Gardens opened at 10 a.m., so we got in line about 5 minutes prior and were among the first to enter that morning.
Oh wow, I didn't realize you you were doing two gardens...I was thinking the rose garden was it.

It was getting close to lunchtime, so we reluctantly broke out the peanut butter, and—
Of course

Oh, no we didn’t!
Wait, what? You're lying to us aren't you?

We drove an hour south of the city to Oregon’s capital, Salem. It was here that we FINALLY got to make a DIS-meet happen that had been overdue for years. We met @Steppesister at a burger joint in town called Bo & Vine.
Like who you're visiting and like the name of the place.

Every DIS-meet I’ve ever had goes pretty much the same way—instead of meeting someone new and a stranger, it feels like I’m jumping right into a conversation with a good friend.
Yep, we've decided it's meeting a friend for the first time.

She’s a very sweet woman

LIesa has much more refined tastes than I do, but I was thankful that she was still willing to meet us where we could chow down on ridiculous greasy burgers (excellent!).
More refined than me also...I'm a picky eater and tend to not risk if I think I might not like it and go with old standbys.

And bacon-cheddar tater tots (good, but a little dry).
Wow. Now I'm hungry. Tater tots are good and bacon makes everything better.

This place had a good milkshake, too. In fact, I’m awarding Bo & Vine the first Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining for this vacation.
Okay, I think I may be taking a flight to Oregon soon. :laughing:

And I assure you all that the placement of the trash can symbol in this photo was purely coincidental.
I would bet your kids would say otherwise.

Since we’d gone over the PB&J budget for lunch, we declared this to be a Pizza & Pool Party® night.
Just blew the PB&J totally outta the water today. W00T!

It is my experience that no child will ever turn down a chance to swim in a hotel swimming pool.
Thought there was that one in Atlanta!

I think you were at wilderness lodge and took the picture of the stream going down to the pool.

Wait!!! You're doing Marvin the Martian now, too?

The bad news was that apparently every Little League, softball, and soccer team in the greater Portland area had also found a good rate on this hotel and had chosen to stay there for the weekend.
Ugh. I've experienced this. The worst part isn't the breakfast (I've found), but that any thought of using a hot tub (if there is one) is out and getting sleep until late at night is unlikely as well.
But you’ll be happy to know that we persevered through adversity, because we are not quitters. At least, not when it comes to breakfast food.
:laughing: A fight worth fighting.
::yes:: I considered that one too.
For a while, I was seriously considering spending the morning in the little town of McMinnville, Oregon (now THERE’s a vacation destination!) at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, home of Howard Hughes’ Spruce Goose.
And I think I may make a return visit just for this... and a return to Pike market in Seattle for that amazing chowder.
While pkondz is the DISBoards’ Leading Expert On Japanese Gardens,
:laughing: And yet... I very well may be!
But, behind the tennis courts, the International Rose Test Garden takes up a few acres of space.
I passed on that. Just not a fan of roses and rose gardens... which is very weird considering I like most other gardens...
The garden is free, which means they’ll let anyone wander in. Even my family.
Really! I'm shocked!
Great shot, there.
I texted pkondz a photo of where we were, and he seemed pleasantly surprised that we had decided to visit.
I was!
I told him I had no idea what the various parts of the garden were supposed to symbolize, and he said, “Me neither. I just think they’re pretty and I like them.”
To paraphrase... I may not know Japanese garden symbology, but I know what I like.
In order to keep little kids from becoming bored, there was a little scavenger hunt they could do to find various features in the gardens.
I would've done that if I'd known.
Why do kids get to have all the fun?

<pouts>
I’m a big fan of water features.
Ditto. ::yes::

Oh, no we didn’t!
What??????? NO??????????
We met @Steppesister at a burger joint in town called Bo & Vine.
Ah! Okay. Very good reason to forego the PB&J for the day.
Mostly I picked it because the name made me laugh. Also, burgers.
I'd probably have done the same.
Every DIS-meet I’ve ever had goes pretty much the same way—instead of meeting someone new and a stranger, it feels like I’m jumping right into a conversation with a good friend.
This may be the most accurate thing I've ever read on the boards.
She’s a very sweet woman,
She absolutely is. We've met a few times.... on both coasts!
I’m awarding Bo & Vine the first Drooling Homer Award for Excellence in Unpretentious Dining for this vacation.
High praise!
And I assure you all that the placement of the trash can symbol in this photo was purely coincidental.
:laughing: I noticed that.
I also noticed the little man in white holding your cap on for you.
(once again, the settlers were very creative with their names: South Sister, Middle Sister, and North Sister).
But... but...

If they'd named them "Garage", "Roxanne" and "Plumbing"... you'd complain.
It is my experience that no child will ever turn down a chance to swim in a hotel swimming pool.
This is a truism. I remember my very first road trip. It didn't matter what there was to see... the only important thing was "does the motel/hotel have a pool".
It could be 3 degrees, with the bodies of other swimmers frozen in the ice below, and they would still expect you to bring out a shovel so you can break the surface and let them swim.
:laughing:
Oh, and you will be expected to join them, too.
:rotfl:
Hmmm... 1st photo has a guy in pink... or maybe the guy in white I mentioned... or... just you.

I would have though a restaurant called Bo & Vine would be a seafood place.

We're just full of surprises here.

If there was bacon involved and you did, then we'd have to take away your disdad's card.

I'd take it away myself if I turned down bacon.

Very cool! That would have gotten me.

I would have liked to have seen it. The others were less enthusiastic about two flight museums in one trip.

Obviously they weren't warned you were coming or they would have done a policy change.

We've learned it's best not to advertise our travels in advance.

What is this relaxation you speak of Kimosabe?

:confused3

Spray paint!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh wow, I didn't realize you you were doing two gardens...I was thinking the rose garden was it.

They were right next to each other, so we figured why not?

Wait, what? You're lying to us aren't you?

I wouldn't do that! Not often, anyway.

Like who you're visiting and like the name of the place.

:thumbsup2

Yep, we've decided it's meeting a friend for the first time.

A nice way of putting it.

More refined than me also...I'm a picky eater and tend to not risk if I think I might not like it and go with old standbys.

I'm usually a proponent of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" strategy.

Wow. Now I'm hungry. Tater tots are good and bacon makes everything better.

Truth.

Okay, I think I may be taking a flight to Oregon soon. :laughing:

No time like the present!

I would bet your kids would say otherwise.

:rolleyes1

Just blew the PB&J totally outta the water today. W00T!

You really need to take a break after a few days. Just for everyone's sanity.

Thought there was that one in Atlanta!

That was the one exception to the rule!

I think you were at wilderness lodge and took the picture of the stream going down to the pool.

It does look very similar, doesn't it? That's one of my favorite parts of the Wilderness Lodge.

Wait!!! You're doing Marvin the Martian now, too?

Not exactly...It was just a certain one of these photos that made me think of the game.

Ugh. I've experienced this. The worst part isn't the breakfast (I've found), but that any thought of using a hot tub (if there is one) is out and getting sleep until late at night is unlikely as well.

Yeah, we gave up on the pool right away. Packed with people. Thankfully, the noise wasn't too bad. They must have had decent chaperones.

:laughing: A fight worth fighting.

I wanted that omelet bad.

::yes:: I considered that one too.

Most of the dates Julie and I get end up with us wandering in a bookstore.

And I think I may make a return visit just for this... and a return to Pike market in Seattle for that amazing chowder.

I would have liked to have seen the Spruce Goose. But I also don't regret our choices on this trip.

:laughing: And yet... I very well may be!

Got my vote!

I passed on that. Just not a fan of roses and rose gardens... which is very weird considering I like most other gardens...

I like roses well enough. It was a decent way to kill an hour before the other garden opened.

Really! I'm shocked!

If I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.

Great shot, there.

Thanks!

To paraphrase... I may not know Japanese garden symbology, but I know what I like.

Works for me.

I would've done that if I'd known.
Why do kids get to have all the fun?

<pouts>

I had to work hard to help him out!

What??????? NO??????????

Thank heavens!

Ah! Okay. Very good reason to forego the PB&J for the day.

We always need those breaks. Desperately.

I'd probably have done the same.

I've had a lot of luck with burger bars.

This may be the most accurate thing I've ever read on the boards.

In one of my TR's? Wow!

She absolutely is. We've met a few times.... on both coasts!

I know! Lucky you!

:laughing: I noticed that.
I also noticed the little man in white holding your cap on for you.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: I was concentrating so hard on the trash can I didn't see that!

But... but...

If they'd named them "Garage", "Roxanne" and "Plumbing"... you'd complain.

Probably. It's a win-win for me, I get to make fun of them either way!

This is a truism. I remember my very first road trip. It didn't matter what there was to see... the only important thing was "does the motel/hotel have a pool".

Sounds about right. Except for the Country Inn in Atlanta.

Hmmm... 1st photo has a guy in pink... or maybe the guy in white I mentioned... or... just you.

I think it is the picture of Drew stopping to smell the flowers.

Try looking at this one again...

Yeah, we gave up on the pool right away. Packed with people. Thankfully, the noise wasn't too bad. They must have had decent chaperones.
This is almost unheard of in this day and age.
I wanted that omelet bad.
Then ya gotta break eggs.
Most of the dates Julie and I get end up with us wandering in a bookstore.
I can think of worse dates. :)
I would have liked to have seen the Spruce Goose. But I also don't regret our choices on this trip.
It can wait... it's been sitting for 60 years now...
If I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now.
Boy, you can sure tell Christmas is coming! :laughing:
I've had a lot of luck with burger bars.
I've had as well... much better than any chains I've tried.
In one of my TR's? Wow!
It's a Christmas miracle!
I know! Lucky you!
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: I was concentrating so hard on the trash can I didn't see that!
;)
Sounds about right. Except for the Country Inn in Atlanta.
<shudder>
Anything but that.
Try looking at this one again...
:lmao:

Hey Mark, I've caught up. I'm struggling lately to find time for much, so comments are unfortunately brief.
Great that you met Liesa. I hope one day I can meet @Steppesister or any of you for that matter. It seems like a good time was had by all. And not a PB&J in sight. Awesome!

Hey Mark, I've caught up. I'm struggling lately to find time for much, so comments are unfortunately brief.
Great that you met Liesa. I hope one day I can meet @Steppesister or any of you for that matter. It seems like a good time was had by all. And not a PB&J in sight. Awesome!

Hey Jeff! Thanks for checking in. Hope you're managing ok for now--I know it's been a struggle.

It's hard to beat eating greasy burgers with Liesa. A good way to spend the day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!