Cheapest decent motel near DLR?

lauritagoddess

Doin' the Plush Rush
We usually stay right across the street at the main gate at Park Vue or Best Western, etc. But I'm on a financial fast and am looking this time for a cheap but decent-ish motel, with the key word being cheap. And we won't have a car so it either needs to be walkable or accessible by the ART. Anyone suggestions are appreciated. TIA! :goodvibes

the lowest nightly rate I have found is Motel 6 Main Gate, which is on Disney Way. It is on the ART route.
No breakfast
Vending machines, coffee before 10am and microwaves in lobby area
free parking
outside corridors
only main block has elevator, back blocks stairs only

For comparison I just checked Google Maps. When you click on a motel / hotel it gives an average nightly rate. Note these rates are just for guidance only, to show a comparison between the different motels in the area, the actual rate in each individual establishment may be higher due to price surges and local taxes

Motel 6 Main Gate = $93
Alpine Inn =$128
Desert Inn and Suites = $157
Grand Legacy at the Park = $120
Super 8 West Katella Ave = $114
Americas's Best Value Inn and Suites West Katella Ave =$83

I have stayed at Motel 6. While it isn't amazing, it fits the bill. Quality Inn runs about $123 on the weekends. We stayed there and liked it. A little older, but nothing awful.

the best advantage to the Motel 6 is that the rooms are clean...there is no carpet, no comforter, no dust bunnies under furniture as there is no furniture. However sheets and towels are worn, so bring those from home and for winter visits bring extra blankets and floor mat rugs. As a 60 year old visitor, I walk it all the time.

Check the day before you want to go. That is a good time to get a good rate. We stayed at Desert Inn in January for a couple nights and got their lowest room rate of $89 by waiting until the day before to book. The only problem with that is you are subject to availability. But it's Anaheim, there are TONS of hotel rooms and it is likely you'll get something.

Check out Kings Inn, formerly a super 8. I often see rates under 100/n on hotels.com and they offer free parking. I was looking at dates in November and they were offering 74/n. It’s about .5 mile from the esplanade.

Our friends like the Motel 6 and the Super 8 (the one on Disneyland Dr.). The Super 8 is walkable (if you have no mobility issues) to the M&F tram. Also check Mousesavers.com for specials and deals.

Rodeway Inn & Suites
2145 S Harbor Blvd

it is a couple of blocks past the convention center hotels, walk-able to the Toy Story lot

We've stayed at the Travelodge on Ball a couple of times. It's walkable to the M&F tram and is usually cheaper than the other places we frequent.

Check the day before you want to go. That is a good time to get a good rate. We stayed at Desert Inn in January for a couple nights and got their lowest room rate of $89 by waiting until the day before to book. The only problem with that is you are subject to availability. But it's Anaheim, there are TONS of hotel rooms and it is likely you'll get something.
Desert Inn typically goes up in price. January was an especially slow time for them. We stayed there in January as well and I found that their prices were low (the same prices I had reserved months earlier, and the lowest that they seem to go) in the weeks leading up to our travel dates as well. I'm not sure that I would count on this strategy working at all times of year.

Desert Inn typically goes up in price. January was an especially slow time for them. We stayed there in January as well and I found that their prices were low (the same prices I had reserved months earlier, and the lowest that they seem to go) in the weeks leading up to our travel dates as well. I'm not sure that I would count on this strategy working at all times of year.
They had rates this week with the same deal. The real concern is availability. It was great for a midweek stay. But may not work on a weekend or busy summer time.

I agree with mel2014.. I stayed at Quality Inn on South Manchester many times when traveling alone. Join their Choice Privileges free and book online to get best discounts. Short 10 minute walk . Looked at Tuesday May 8 as an example and it was $87/night. Ask for second floor , middle of building for quietest .

In my personal opinion I would suggest trying to find a place on the Harbour blvd across from the Disneyland park. If you don't mind paying for ART to get to a budget motel then that is totally fine, but I would personally take that ART money and put it into a motel closer to Disneyland so you have a really short walk at at the end of the night, you don't have to rely on bus schedules and waits and you can just head back to your hotel mid day if you want for a swim, nap etc.

I agree with a previous poster to look into hotwire or priceline, even bookit.com they often have some really good deals on there. I typically stay at the Tropicana or Carousel which is now closed, but this year we are staying at the Grand Legacy which was beating out most of the hotel prices on the strip for the dates I was looking at. I am sure you will find one that suits your needs.

Try Priceline or Hotwire! We used to get some killer deals for places like the Sheraton, Marriott and Hilton.

Last year, we did the Hotwire Hotrate and got Sheraton Park Hotel for around $600, IIRC. The only thing I kick myself in the butt for was not realizing that parking wasn't included, so that was an extra $100 for a 5-night stay. Next time we go, I'm going to look for a hotel that offers free parking included in the price. I like that they lay out the price with taxes and fees as well. I've been looking lately, too, and I've found prices around $500-590 for hotels like Double Tree and Embassy Suites, including taxes and fees, parking, etc. Really not bad at all considering booking directly through a hotel like that could run you $900-1000. The only potential "downside" is that you don't get to pick the hotel as they pick it for you.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter