Cheap eats help

Wendy from Neverland

Earning My Ears
Hi, we are doing a multi island and Disneyland trip, for a total of 16 nights. We are staying for aluani for two nights. Give me the lowdown on how to eat fairly inexpensive here. We do have a full kitchen so I hope to utilize that for breakfast and lunch however I would like to do dinner out at least one night. I hear that there’s a mall across the street, however, I do prefer to stay on property if possible. What’s the best restaurant, time and location to eat at a reasonable price?

Hi, we are doing a multi island and Disneyland trip, for a total of 16 nights. We are staying for aluani for two nights. Give me the lowdown on how to eat fairly inexpensive here. We do have a full kitchen so I hope to utilize that for breakfast and lunch however I would like to do dinner out at least one night. I hear that there’s a mall across the street, however, I do prefer to stay on property if possible. What’s the best restaurant, time and location to eat at a reasonable price?
A lot of restaurants do something they call aloha hour with half priced appetizers and drinks. Monkeypod does this and its super close. We always hit them up for a late lunch/ early dinner. They are really good. Do not even try to eat on site if you are trying to save money. If you will have a car a lot of further out restaurants have prices like I’d expect at home. We like to use yelp and hit a bunch of places we loved. Also if you like shrimp we loved Giovanni’s shrimp truck! My mouth still waters thinking about it. This was my first time ever trying shrimp and I loved it.

What's across the street is hardly a mall. It's a small plaza with a convenience store, some boutiques, a restaurant, and some quicker food options. We love Monkeypod, which is the restaurant just steps across the street, and they have a great and reasonably priced happy hour.

If you're looking to stay on site, your only options are counter service or one of two table service restaurants - Makahiki or Ama Ama. I would not consider the two table service restaurants to be cheap, but its all relative. Makahiki is probably a better value because its an all you can eat buffet. I would make a reservation for either of the table service restaurants. If you go with Makahiki, avoid the character dinner (until 5:30 on select nights) because its a few bucks more and much busier.

All restaurants at Aulani are expensive IMO. The restaurants across the street take about 7-8 minutes to walk to. They are really very close.

The restaurants across the street take about 7-8 minutes to walk to. They are really very close.

I would estimate even less. For the OP, you simply walk out the front door of Aulani, down the driveway to the sidewalk, a half a city block up to the signal and crosswalk, and then you're there. Monkeypod is right on the corner and the others are to the left.

I've seen some people mention the restaurant at the Marriott being a bit cheaper and also fairly close.

I've seen some people mention the restaurant at the Marriott being a bit cheaper and also fairly close.

Longboards at the Marriott is their casual options, which may be slightly cheaper than the sit down places at Aulani. Marriott isn't a far walk either if you take the path along the beach, but I'd say the places across the street are even closer.

I'm a 10 year owner at the Marriott, and go at least every other year. I love it there, but really do not endorse Longboard's for a less expensive meal. To me it's a bit overpriced and just okay. I'd stick with Monkeypod or something else (can't believe I'm saying that; I love Marriott Ko Olina, but don't care for the restaurants there). My youngest and I had lunch on our moving day (we were 2 weeks in a studio, then moved to a one bedroom for another two weeks). Burgers and one beer for me, it was over $50, so not a cheap lunch!

For only two nights, I wouldn't bother using the kitchen at all other than for drinks.

Will you have a car? Eating in town is reasonable. If you like sushi, I recommend Sushi Bay. It's so reasonable, the portions are large, and it's so good! It's conveyor belt sushi (and there's usually quite a wait, but it's worth it!).

I personally would want dinner at Aulani one night, just for the ambience, but also, we really enjoyed our meal at Makahiki. But you can pick up stuff for breakfast and lunch (and dinner) across the street at the ABC/Island Market. Honestly if I were only staying two nights, I wouldn’t want to waste a minute going offsite (although I might spare an hour to walk across the street LOL). There’s just so much to see.

I'll add another endorsement for Monkeypod. Excellent food and short walk. Agree with @happymommy about Marriott Ko Olina. Great resort except for the food. Stayed there many times but always go elsewhere to eat.

You can get an entire pizza at Ulu Cafe for under $30 and it's big enough to feed a family of 4-5. We have Bitesquad and Door Dash here as well.

I agree with everyone’s opinion of MonkeyPod. We were very pleased with their Happy Hour and ate there quite a few times during our Aulani Stay. Try to eat in your villa if you can to save money. I wish we had ventured out to try more eateries, but my youngest daughter got sick on our trip and ended up at the ER. We were very happy to have a rental car. Good luck, I hope you have a happy and relaxing trip!

What is bitesquad and door dash?

It's a food delivery service. The driver will pick up food from an eatery and deliver it to your home/hotel. I don't know if they would deliver it to your hotel room door or if you'd have to meet them near the driveway of the hotel. There is a nominal fee, usually $3-$8 plus an automatic gratuity of about 18% that is split between the restaurant and the driver, so it doesn't cost much more than if you were dining at a sit down restaurant. Go to bitesquad.com and search for delivery in Kapolei.

I'm a 10 year owner at the Marriott, and go at least every other year. I love it there, but really do not endorse Longboard's for a less expensive meal. To me it's a bit overpriced and just okay. I'd stick with Monkeypod or something else (can't believe I'm saying that; I love Marriott Ko Olina, but don't care for the restaurants there). My youngest and I had lunch on our moving day (we were 2 weeks in a studio, then moved to a one bedroom for another two weeks). Burgers and one beer for me, it was over $50, so not a cheap lunch!

For only two nights, I wouldn't bother using the kitchen at all other than for drinks.

Will you have a car? Eating in town is reasonable. If you like sushi, I recommend Sushi Bay. It's so reasonable, the portions are large, and it's so good! It's conveyor belt sushi (and there's usually quite a wait, but it's worth it!).

We love the Marriott as well (owners at Ko Olina), but honestly have never eaten there. I don't feel Monkeypod is considered cheap eats, but I am really cheap! It may be cheaper compared to Aulani though. We love Sushi Bay as well. I make it a point to eat there at least twice. Another good place is Ono Steak and Shrimp. There are so many good places in Kapolei to try. If you have a car, I would consider making the drive!

Try the happy hour at Monkey Pod. Great prices for pizza and chicken wings and it´s all delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter