Cheap accom/ Train at park close- safe?

Chronic Daydreamer

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a big 6 month round the world trip at the end of next year to make up for, well, the mess that's been this year, tokyo disneyland will be part of it, but since it's such a long trip i really need cheap/ backpacker accom. I've found a hostel on the same train line as disney, near the city, and a minutes walk from the statiom, my main question is is it safe for a solo female traveller to take the train back at park close? Normally i avoid public transport after 9pm, but i'm thinking there will be a lot of people on the train, thoughts?

Or other recommendations of cheap (very cheap) places to stay?

My only other suggestion for very cheap would be possibly a female only capsule hotel? I don't by any means think you'll be unsafe at the hostel, just the capsules might offer another possible route for you, at least for part of your trip. Some of them look quite nice. I nearly booked one for me and my daughter, but they make much more sense for solo travellers.
Caveat: my June trip was cancelled, so I have no experience yet in renting nightly stays in Japan that aren't cancelled.
The reason I'm responding here also is that there is one place that I had considered staying in just b/c I wanted to sleep on the floor that I think might be worth consideration, called the Andon Ryokan. The name is a bit misleading, as it is not really what you would think of as a traditional ryokan. I'd consider it closer to a hostel. But it has interesting architecture and background, a sort of spa/bath you could soak in with a nice backstory on the bath tile art, rooftop picnic tables, and great ratings on the travel site I was using, especially regarding the family that owns and runs it. I didn't reserve there, b/c in the end I decided on a hotel with a nice onsen that was near Sensoji. Andon might not be within your budget, either, as the cheapest I see it for right now is around $60-70 for a single guest.

Japan is one of the safest places you'll ever visit and you definitely won't be alone on the train at park closing. It'll be packed. You do have to be a bit careful at hostels and capsule hotels because cheaper ones may not have outlets for charging and may charge extra to use the shower. There are some female only hostels and capsule hotels. Be aware that hostel spaces in Japan are typically much smaller than hostel spaces in other countries.

For the budget conscious, a private room at an internet or manga cafe could be another option as it can often come out less than 2,000 JPY a night. They're not the most English friendly but you can rent on a per hour basis and they often have discount packages for women. It's actually quite common for Japanese people to book rooms at internet cafes to sleep and some even live there semi-long term. Again, you may have to pay for the shower and other amenities.

Since your stay is quite long, a single room at an Air BnB may be another option.

If you can afford it, I recommend staying at a business hotel. APA is a well known chain in Japan that many Japanese Disney visitors on a budget will stay at. These do run about 5,000 JPY a night though. I usually prefer to go with Unizo Inn which is nicer than APA but again may be out of your price range.

It is extremely safe to travel alone at night. (I'm a female and have traveled solo to Japan.) Drunk Japanese business men may be annoying but they aren't dangerous. The only two places I wouldn't recommend visiting after 10pm would be the back end of Shinjuku and Roppongi.

Groping can be a problem on crowded trains at any time of the day, but as a Westerner, it's very unlikely that it'll happen to you.

It is extremely safe to travel alone at night. (I'm a female and have traveled solo to Japan.) Drunk Japanese business men may be annoying but they aren't dangerous. The only two places I wouldn't recommend visiting after 10pm would be the back end of Shinjuku and Roppongi.

Groping can be a problem on crowded trains at any time of the day, but as a Westerner, it's very unlikely that it'll happen to you.
I agree with your general point in the 1st paragraph.
As for the second, back in the day (decades ago) I was a blonde teenager, and I did experience something that could pretty much fall into the groping category, and it was on a crowded train. But only once in 10 months where I rode trains twice daily 6 days a week.
I did, however, often experience the (at first startling, later mostly amusing) touching of my hair by random strangers who just wanted to know what it felt like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!