Charging station for car?

linco711

DIS Veteran
Does anybody know if there are any charging stations for electric cars at Aulani for guests? Thank in advance for this info.šŸš—

Response deleted due to more up to date info

Last edited:
I talked with member services and they said Aulani has one in their garage! I was happily surprised....

I called a few weeks ago and they said valet will take it into the garage and charge for us. We rented a Tesla, so this was really important šŸ˜€

@tgeorge I really want to know where you rented a Tesla from! (Seriously.) Alamo did not give us that or any e-car as an option, as we are hoping to drop off at Aulani part-way through our stay.

And yes, we saw the car charging station on our last visit, so it's been there a while.

We used Turo. It is like Airbnb for vehicles (thatā€™s the best way I can think of to describe it). I had the recommendation from a colleague who used them on their last trip, so I figured weā€™d try it. I own a Jaguar I Pace (their all electric car), so I was really interested in renting an electric car. There were quite a few options for Teslaā€™s and a few Leafā€™s on Oahu.

After we get back, I can let you know how it went in case youā€™re interested for your next trip.

@tgeorge I am not sure I would trust a car-share like that, as far as liability an insurance goes, so I think we'll stick with our regular rental.

Definitely a concern, that is for sure. Iā€™ve checked with my insurance company, and I am insured with any car I drive. However, to be on the safe side, they offer insurance through Liberty Mutual for rentals, so I added it. One can never be too careful. But, I do understand that it isnā€™t for everyone and you can only do what youā€™re comfortable with. Iā€™m sure the rental companies will start to add more electric cars to their fleets soon.

I used Turo on Kauai last month. Worked great. My StateFarm agent assured me through email (i.e., documented) that I did not need extra coverage and that it would be treated like driving a friendā€™s car.

Hereā€™s an excerpt of his email:

Since that vehicle would be a temporary substitute, your auto insurance would extend to that vehicle.
No need to purchase additional coverage!
Your auto policy covers you while driving a temporary substitute vehicle in all 50 states and within 50 miles of the Mexican border.

Have a great trip!

Maybe I have a premium policy, not sure.

The person who I rented from was a professional in that he had a fleet of 10 cars. AMEX Platinum also promotes Turo and I got $100 off via their promotion. In sum, it was legit.

The car was waiting for me at the airport parking lot, door unlocked, keys inside. The app takes it from there, took 20 pictures of the inside and outside and clicked start rental. No counter etc.

Bonus: I had local plates. (ETA- I mean Hawaii plates that werenā€™t a rental agency giveaway that start with specific letters). I wasnā€™t worried about someone taking the air out of my tires while hiking remotely (ETA- rare stories of local vs tourist tension).

Uber seemed weird before it wasnā€™t too.

Last edited:
I used Turo on Kauai last month. Worked great. My StateFarm agent assured me through email (i.e., documented) that I did not need extra coverage and that it would be treated like driving a friendā€™s car.

Since that vehicle would be a temporary substitute, your auto insurance would extend to that vehicle.
Your auto policy covers you while driving a temporary substitute vehicle in all 50 states and within 50 miles of the Mexican border.

Have a great trip!

The person who I rented from was a professional in that he had a fleet of 10 cars. AMEX Platinum also promotes Turo and I got $100 off via their promotion. In sum, it was legit.

The car was waiting for me at the airport parking lot, door unlocked, keys inside. The app takes it from there, took 20 pictures of the inside and outside and clicked start rental. No counter etc.

Bonus: I had local plates. I wasnā€™t worried about someone taking the air out of my tires while hiking remotely.

Wouldn't most of the rentals on the island be local plates? Not many people returning cars from other states. LOL!

What kind of car did you end up with? Do you have your choice? Never heard of Turo before, but now I'm interested!

@nkereina Lots of military, and therefore, cars with non-HI plates. Just keep an eye out for them the next time ...

@linco711 Make sure that you go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb before you move it. I've helped with a consumer advocacy group for years. One of the scams that's started popping up is Turo and damage. Document everything that isn't 100% correct before you move the vehicle.

Make sure that you go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb before you move it. I've helped with a consumer advocacy group for years. One of the scams that's started popping up is Turo and damage. Document everything that isn't 100% correct before you move the vehicle.
Whenever I rent a car from any of the car rental companies (ie Hertz, Avis, etc) I always do a video on the rental lot. I make sure to show the spot I picked up the rental and a full 360 degree of the car, zooming in on any existing damage, plus the instrument panel showing the mileage and gas gauge. So far I haven't had to resort to using this video, but it gives me peace of mind.

Have a great trip!

Bonus: I had local plates. I wasnā€™t worried about someone taking the air out of my tires while hiking remotely.

I used the Amex Platinum promo too, which was nice. Glad to hear you had a good experience. The people we are renting from have 4 Teslaā€™s and do this quite a bit. So it seems similar to the person you rented from.
They are meeting us at the airport to go over the car with us. I just have to text them when we land and again once we collect our bags from baggage claim, so I think it will go pretty smoothly.

USAA also assured me that we were covered, but my husband felt better if we bought the extra coverage. It wasnā€™t too much extra, so if it eases his mind, it is worth it.

Wouldn't most of the rentals on the island be local plates? Not many people returning cars from other states. LOL!

Youā€™re exactly right on that. What I meant was that rental cars start w ā€œKDā€ (mostly) on Kauai. I think maybe ā€œKCā€ too. Those are the giveaways.

What kind of car did you end up with? Do you have your choice? Never heard of Turo before, but now I'm interested!

So your arrangement is for a very specific car. They show you pictures and even the license plate so that you are precisely getting that exact car. Seems that many people on Turo rent out their own car that they drive at other times. A few others (they have some designation on the app) use it as the platform for their own company and have a small fleet of cars. I forgot to mention that for a small fee (or sometimes for free) they will leave extras in your trunk such as beach chairs, beach umbrella, towels, boogie boards, etc.

We had initially reserved a specific 2017 Honda Pilot, but then switched to a smaller and less expensive 2019 Cherokee later which suited our needs just fine.

You can download the app or browse the site on a desktop. Overall I liked it. As another poster said, I can imagine less scrupulous folks claiming you caused damage so take lots of pictures before starting the trip (the app has a function for this) and maybe stick to the professional owners or those with a high number of reviews.

Last edited:
Hot news flash fellow DVC members who drive electric cars.....
There's about a half dozen chargers in the self parking garage. Will attach proof. There's some more on the other level too.

Also as you can see they were pretty empty and we're located in a premium spot to boot.

Youā€™re exactly right on that. What I meant was that rental cars start w ā€œKDā€ (mostly) on Kauai. I think maybe ā€œKCā€ too. Those are the giveaways.
Ahh gotcha. Makes sense!

So your arrangement is for a very specific car. They show you pictures and even the license plate so that you are precisely getting that exact car. Seems that many people on Turo rent out their own car that they drive at other times. A few others (they have some designation on the app) use it as the platform for their own company and have a small fleet of cars. I forgot to mention that for a small fee (or sometimes for free) they will leave extras in your trunk such as beach chairs, beach umbrella, towels, boogie boards, etc.

We had initially reserved a specific 2017 Honda Pilot, but then switched to a smaller and less expensive 2019 Cherokee later which suited our needs just fine.

You can download the app or browse the site on a desktop. Overall I liked it. As another poster said, I can imagine less scrupulous folks claiming you caused damage so take lots of pictures before starting the trip (the app has a function for this) and maybe stick to the professional owners or those with a high number of reviews.
Thanks for the info! I love this idea. Will definitely consider trying it!

Whenever I rent a car from any of the car rental companies (ie Hertz, Avis, etc) I always do a video on the rental lot. I make sure to show the spot I picked up the rental and a full 360 degree of the car, zooming in on any existing damage, plus the instrument panel showing the mileage and gas gauge. So far I haven't had to resort to using this video, but it gives me peace of mind.
Thats a really goof idea. I am going to do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!