Character meet etiquette

Coolname

Earning My Ears
My DD2 loves meeting characters, but is terrible at waiting in line. Would it be considered rude to just hand her off to my husband after he waits in line with DD6?

Thank you. That's reassuring! I wasn't sure if we'd be getting some looks for "cutting" in line. Trust me, nobody wants to be in line next to my crazy 2 year old!

It may work for some lines but not all. Many character lines (Anna/Elsa, princesses by the castle etc) are not set up for an easy hand off . You would have to push through the line to make it up to where they are. That is not so easy as the lines tend to be packed close not set up for easy maneuvering like that

Many character greets are set up much like ride lines and that just won’t work. Probably better to plan ways to keep her happy in like, use FP for shorter lines and just remind her if she wants to see the princess, she will have to wait in line.

I personally wouldn’t care at all if a parent and a two year old made their way through a line to join another parent and child at the front - it’s not like it increases anyone else’s wait in line. There might be some lines where it could get tricky just bc there is a closed door holding area right before the meet - town square Mickey is one I’m thinking of in particular. I guess a lot of the indoor meet and greets might be like that, but it’s worth a try. Good luck!

Thanks for all your replies. I was thinking more about outdoor meets like Buzz Lightyear in MK. We'll have to come up with some serious entertainment to get her through the Anna & Else line!
Does anyone know about how long the waits run for the WS princesses? Or Jessie in HS? Is she outside?

It will also depend on the Cast Member - we were in line for the 7 dwarves and we we had a family a few people behind us last year just have dad wait and then the rest of the family tried to join abotu an hour later and the CM said no. We had to vouch for the family RIGHT behind us that the mom had come through with her husband in the beginning and she had popped out to use the bathroom.

I think they are starting to crack down on it due to compliants from others - so just an fyi

Thanks for all your replies. I was thinking more about outdoor meets like Buzz Lightyear in MK. We'll have to come up with some serious entertainment to get her through the Anna & Else line!
Does anyone know about how long the waits run for the WS princesses? Or Jessie in HS? Is she outside?

When we met Anna & Elsa, the wait was maybe 15 minutes.

The waits for the WS princesses can be long...I really wanted to meet Belle. We got there about 20 minutes before she was going to come out and were first in line. By the time she appeared, the line was really long.

Woody & Jessie meet together. Their line can be very long. We met them during EMM with less than 15 minute wait.

I personally have no problem with outdoor lines where someone can easily jump in. Especially if its just a parent and a young child. But when several people (or majority of a family) are pushing through an indoor line it makes it really obnoxious.

We were thinking of doing Garden Grill, but we won't know our dates very far in advance. I'm not sure how hard it will be to get an ADR.

Be persistent in checking for ADRs if you don't have luck on your first go. Many people book several for the same day/time, then cancel as they get closer and have to decide which park they'll be in. Some people even have luck getting same day ones--I wouldn't count on this, but you never know. It also helps if you can be flexible--an 11am "breakfast" could serve for lunch, or have your family graze and have a big meal at 3pm, that sort of thing. Obviously, this only works if your kids can be flexible--some can't.

The princesses in MK generally have 30+ minute wait times for each set of princesses. Go to the MDE app and you can see the current wait times for them.

Jessie is outside and that line can get very long since she meets with Woody. I would count on not being able to rejoin your husband in the indoor lines. Perhaps just pick a few favorite characters for her to meet in the outdoor lines.

We had to do this once... half way through a one hour line for princesses DD (3) had to go potty.... I took her out and left hubby in line.... the whole ordeal including changing cloths becuase we didn’t make it in time took 15-20 min when we came back DH was about five people from the front of the line and when I brought DD to him I got nasty looks and was cursed by people despite handing her off to a 35 year old man who was alone in line to see princesses....... never did that again. So yes it’s possible, but it’s not a nice situation.

We had to do this once... half way through a one hour line for princesses DD (3) had to go potty.... I took her out and left hubby in line.... the whole ordeal including changing cloths becuase we didn’t make it in time took 15-20 min when we came back DH was about five people from the front of the line and when I brought DD to him I got nasty looks and was cursed by people despite handing her off to a 35 year old man who was alone in line to see princesses....... never did that again. So yes it’s possible, but it’s not a nice situation.

That is utterly ridiculous! We're taking our 3 yo grandson soon and potty training has been difficult, he can't hold it! This is my fear!

That is utterly ridiculous! We're taking our 3 yo grandson soon and potty training has been difficult, he can't hold it! This is my fear!

Every queue you enter you'll have this issue, so I suggest taking him to the restroom before entering a queue. Also, if you do have to leave a queue, check in with the CM as you leave, to ask where the nearest restroom is!

Thank you. That's reassuring! I wasn't sure if we'd be getting some looks for "cutting" in line. Trust me, nobody wants to be in line next to my crazy 2 year old!

See, this is where you lose me. I am a Nana and have a lot of patience with children, however I am not sure how I feel about parents whose kids truly cannot manage a queue using their child's behavior as a reason for preferential treatment. Personally, I don't bat an eye if a parent is a place holder, but many people do, and I am not judging them. We all make choices how to spend time in WDW, and you should be prepared for people who get annoyed when their kids waited in line and yours pops in.

Have you planned any character meals? They are great for meeting characters with little wait.

This.

I also think that a child who needs to make an exit to use the bathroom is different. The problem is the queues. They are not all easy to manage getting in and out easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter