• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character Meals?

MarieS

DIS Veteran
We are planning an October trip with my two sons who are multiply disabled and use wheelchairs. We would like to do several character meals. Can anyone tell me which ones would be the most do-able with two wheelchairs? We are thinking about Donald's Breakfastasaurus, lunch at Crystal Palace, and dinner at Chef Mickey's. Any thoughts on this or other tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
Marie

Both the Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's are doable. Chef Mickey's seating is all tables with chairs, I believe they have one area that is up a step or two but most of the restaurant is on the same level. Crystal Palace has a ramp up to the restaurant, and the seating is either tables with chairs or tables with chairs and a long bench seat, sort of a half-booth. As far as I know the buffets themselves are accessable from wheelchairs if your boys can serve themselves, definitely the kids' buffets are. I don't have any experience with Donald's.

We've been at Crystal Palace several times. Youngest DD (who uses a wheelchair) usually stays at the table and I get her food from the buffet for her, but it would be do-able for her to go to the buffest with someone to help her.
We haven't been at Donald's Breakfastosaurus, but have been in the room they use for it at other times. It's a large room with tables and chairs and we had no problem getting DD's wheelchair up to the tables. I don't know how they serve breakfast there, but it will probably work out.
If you haven't already, let them know that you have a person with a wheelchair in your party. When you check in for your PS, let the host/hostess know. It shouldn' t be a problem, but sometimes it helps them to place your party.

Another character meal you might consider is at 'Ohana at the Polynesian. It is breakfast served family style so you wouldn't have to manage multiple plates or do repeat trips to the buffet to get your sons' and then your own. The dining room isn't as crowded as Crystal Palace either although we've enjoyed that too. It is easy to get to the MK after breakfast here...just roll right onto the monorail.

Thanks for the replies. We aren't going until October, but I definitely tell them about the wheelchairs when I make the PS.

One other question, for these type of meals how much time should I plan on? Is one hour enough time to get through the buffet and visit with the characters?

Marie

I didn't time it, but it seems like we were at Crystal Palace for a little over an hour. The characters have a sort of pattern for going around the room so you can kind of figure out who is coming next and how soon they will get there. We didn't feel at all rushed by the servers (which was pleasant since in some "regular" restaurants outside WDW, you feel like they want you to hurry up and finish as soon as the food is served).

Hey Marie! I am sure ya'll will have no problem with any of the meals you are planning to go to. Like everyone said make sure you get them to make a note of it when you make your ressies. We loved all three of those character meals and had no problem with our two dds wheelchairs. They are both completely dependent so we made their plates and didn't take their wheelchairs up to the buffets. I would plan for an hour and a half just to make sure. Have a great time!!!

Hi,
Donald's breakfast is also a buffet. Your waitstaff will be sure all the characters visit with you. It is a fun time. The idea is you are at an archeology camp mess hall. I was able to bring my ECV directly to the table, I'm sure your DSs will enjoy it.

MGM's Hollywood and Vine was really attentive to a disabled group of diners. 10 in wheelchairs (some with mutiple disabilities) and then their assistants. It was really nice to see the characters take their time with the wheelchair diners. At H&V, the characters dance. Once they noticed the disabled patrons could not see them dancing, they came over to the area they were seated in and performed their own dancing for them.
I was really impressed with the handling of this and it made me feel all "warm and fuzzy" inside as I welled up with tears because the disabled diners were so excited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter