character meals question

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
i've looked through the threads in the forum, but i'm still somewhat confused about available character meals.

i'm interested in information regarding breakfast, lunch and dinner, but probably lunch is the one we're most likely to do, if available. Though all 3 are possible.

Our first choice would be the classic characters: Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, etc.

Second choice are the princesses.

We'll probably do both if we can work it into the schedule.

So i guess what i'm asking - which restaurants offer character meals and for which meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner).

i should add i guess that i'm interested in this as a way to avoid having to stand in line to meet the characters. We use this method at WDW and hope we can avoid at least some of the meet and greet lines this way. Also, at WDW meal interactions tend to be a bit more personal, but mainly to avoid those M&G lines.

Thanks in advance!!!

The only breakfast available is in Plaza Gardens, these are most likely classic characters and some Winnie the Pooh.

Lunch and diner at Auberge (princesses) or Inventions (classic characters).

Diner at Cafe Mickey (classic characters).
Extra special is sunday brunch in Inventions, here the character wear special outfits or there are rare characters

thanks! so cafe mickey is in the village i think..
and the auberge is in the park since it's the castle..
and inventions....(looking it up)...is in the disneyland hotel....

so two of them outside and one inside...interesting...off to do some research!

thanks again!!!

Cafe mickey is in Village
Auberge is in Fantasyland, it's not in the castle, but next to it.

Plaza is also inside the park, so it 2-2 ;)
I've been to all but Plaza, Inventions only for the brunch (and Cafe Mickey before they removed the characters and returned them), so if you have a question, feel free to ask!

oh right - i forgot about the breakfast in the plaza..
though we tend never to do breakfasts, plus we have free breakfast in the compass club, so probably won't do a breakfast...

i'm thinking we might do cafe mickey and the auberge....
but i'll see if maybe there are videos or pictures to get a feel for cafe mickey and inventions..

inventions looks nice...looks like you're in the grand floridian....
however, the price is pretty darn high if you're paying in dollars!!
sadly the euro has really recovered against the dollar (as has the pound)..
good thing my hotel reservations are set in dollars!!! :)

Last edited:

ok, after seeing those prices, i think i'm changing our plans - no character meals for us.
I watched a video of the character breakfast at the plaza gardens, but we're getting a breakfast buffet included with our room at the newport bay..
so no reason to pay so much extra....with 9 in our group and prices in euros, i don't think we can afford it..

i'm thinking we're going to have to bring a lot of food with us - 6 euros for a coke at inventions? you mean the drinks aren't included in that very costly buffet?????????????????????????????? that's kind of nutty....

i wonder if the compass club offers drinks during the day, or just at certain times...and if you can stash some in your bag...

i might have a good price on the package stay, but i think the food prices are going to kill us.....and in euros..
perhaps the euro will crash before we get there....i can always hope :)

i see the pound has strengthened as well...
thank god it only happened now...
i made a mistake in 2017 when i booked our august 2018 three week extravaganza at WDW...
i booked in pounds instead of euros...
i can pay in euros, so i have no conversion issues when i pay in euros, but not in pounds..
i hadn't thought about it when i booked our UK free dining package..
so when i had to pay (for two 2-bedroom villas at SSR for 3 weeks - you can imagine the cost of that baby), i had a major problem on my hands paying the conversion since it's a percentage of the total amount (a lot of money suffice to say)...
big mistake on my part...there would have been no conversion fee for paying in euros, since my card can pay in euros or dollars....
anyway, long story ....stupid mistake..

so when i booked DLP, i made darn sure i was booking it in dollars this time (not pounds as the CM started it)..

but now with the strengthening euro, all the other things we'll have to pay for will be more costly...(food, etc)..

well...i still believe europe is headed for catastrophe....hopefully it will happen by summer 2019.....hope springs eternal... :rolleyes1

Last edited:
well i hope you know i'm just joking.....though i do wish the euro would crash again before we go..

i hadn't realized how expensive food is there...

i suppose i should have ...
but i haven't really been in europe in years and years..

i pass through all the time, but when i'm in schiphol, i hang out in the lounge where the food is free, so i don't really pay attention to prices..

the only thing i've ever bought in schiphol was some chocolate...i was trying to get rid of my coins...
so bought a tiny package of kinder chocolate for my grandkids...
a tiny tiny tiny package that cost 8 euros....so yes...expensive...
truth is, the same package is cheaper where i live...crazy....but i did get rid of the coins..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!