Character Dining with a Super Picky Eater

DanniCarm

Earning My Ears
I've been to Disney World several times, but this September will be my first time going with a child. My 8 year old stepson is on the autism spectrum and is VERY set in his ways about what he'll eat. For dinner, he will only eat pizza or chicken fingers/nuggets. We can make our ADRs this week and I want to book at least one character meal for us, but I'm not sure which would be the best for him food-wise. For example, I love Tusker House and would love to take him there, but I don't see chicken fingers or nuggets on the kids menu. Does anyone have experience with super picky eaters at character meals? Do any of the restaurants have off-menu items for picky eaters?

Thanks!!

I do know 1900 Park Fare at the GF has Pizza and chicken nuggets on their buffet for dinner time. I was there just last year and they had those items. It's a great buffet and some of the best character interaction on property especially from Lady Tremaine, Anastasia and Drizella.

Tusker house breakfast had Mickey waffles and fresh fruit which is all my picky eater ate. At regular sit down dinners - we did not order off the kid menu . We were able to get a grilled cheese made or plain pasta at most restaurants. Check out the allergy threads for more ideas

My son has many challenges and is also on the spectrum. Is very tough to predict what time he will eat one day in advance, much less a hundred and eighty days out. With crowds, weather, ride closures and everything else that can throw him off, we don't actually expect him to eat at character meals any more. I distinctly remember paying $26 at Akershus for him to take one sip of root beer. That's when I realized it wasn't worth the frustration. His meal costs the same whether he eats it or not, so what does it really matter. Now, we book meals based on the experience and food that the rest of us want. I'm totally fine spending $8 to get him chicken nuggets an hour later or whenever he gets hungry. Such a small price to pay and we are all so much happier at meals.

Chef Mickeys usually has pizza and chicken fingers on the "kid's" section of the buffet. How is breakfast for him? Most character meals have at least the breakfast standbys(eggs, waffles, sausage, etc.) So that might be an option too so you could visit Tusker House.

Most (if not all) the character buffets have a kid section. I know I've seen nuggets/tenders but not sure about pizza. If those are truly the only things he'll eat you're probably better off to find a place that has those specific items on the menu. But if he's open to other kid friendly options, any of the character buffets should work.

How is he w/ breakfast foods? I'd honestly try to book breakfast meals. It's earlier in the day, so less time for things to go "wrong", he'll be more fresh. Garden Grill might be a good choice, the booths make it seem less chaotic and might be less stimulation for your son

We had a very picky eater with us last year - he’s so skinny that he’s 99% percentile for height and 1% for weight! But he did eat some chicken tenders and pizza at Hollywood & Vine and Chef Mickey. Tucker house had nothing he liked and we weren’t crazy about it either.

My DD is super picky too. There are a few restaurants that are musts for me (San Angel Inn is one) and she does not like one thing on the menu. What I did when she was younger was get QS for her before our reservation. I would then bring a small coloring book or paper and a few crayons to our TS and she could draw or color while hubby and I ate our meal. Now she is 15...still picky....still gets QS before a restaurant she doesnt like, but when we order our dinner, she will order a dessert/ice cream etc.. (then spend time on her phone :) )

DanniCarm, did you find out anything more than is on this post? I have a kiddo with special needs as well (Down syndrome) and he is picky as well. I found your post when I was looking for locations that have pizza on the buffet. I was watching youtube videos and it looks like Cape May has it as well. Thank you for your post. It was helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts