• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character Caravan

No, Character Caravan was replaced with the Extra Magic Hour which is just like Early Entry. Disney resort guests can enter a specific park on a specific day 1 hour early. Hope this helps!!:)

Hi - thanx for the update...

Is Magic Hour better than Early entry?

I used Early Entry in 2000 when I was at POFQ and we got in MK at 8:00am but no rides started until 9:00am. Basically we just walked around a took photos... some shops were open - thats it.

It would be nice if you could actually go on rides before other park guests arrived.

We were at MGM for the magic hour and were able to ride test track, RnR, get fastpasses, etc. It seemed like the whole park was open but I'm not sure if all the parks operate the same way.

You probably meant ToT? LOL

That is good news... I kind of like character caravan although alot of people did not... but if the rides are running then I look forward to trying the magic hour.

Thanx

Yup it was ToT :p That's what happens when I type while distracted!

If you go to www.wdwig.com they have a section that lists the attractions that are open at each park during EE.

Click on "Theme Parks" at the top of the page, and then click on "Extra Magic Hour" to the right.

Character caravan is still going on in Epcot. Saw the characters and the bus many times while we were here.

Originally posted by safetymom
Character caravan is still going on in Epcot. Saw the characters and the bus many times while we were here.

I think they've had that bus for quite some time. I vaugely recall it circling Epcot back on my honeymoon in '97.

Character caravan ran for about a year after 9/11, and it consisted of a handful of characters visiting the WDW resorts on selected mornings.

We visiting in September just days before CC ended, and it was really great for my 18mo son. We arrived on a Sunday and visited Epcot that evening. Didn't see a single character--which was largely to be expected. Then, before we ventured into another of the parks on Monday, we were able to get our son some exposure to the characters at our resort via CC. We probably spent 15 minutes playing with Goofy, Timon, King Louie and Rafiki. There were no more than 20 adults and children around the entire time. It was a really laid-back atmosphere for interacting with the characters. They were in no hurry to leave and there weren't lines wrapped around the corner with folks waiting for a turn.

That said, I understand why Early Entry is much more important to 99% of WDW guests. Too bad there wasn't some compromise available as our Character Caravan interactions were some of the best memories we took away from that trip.

I have to say, not being a fan of EE - we loved the Character Caravan. There was nothing like walking down the stairs at the Beach Club to a lobby full of characters! My daughter loved it!

While I see the value of EE and have used it, I must say we enjoyed the later park openings and lobby CC much more last year. Our trip felt less commando style, less rushed, and our kids did every evening show and parade without a problem thanks to a little later start in the morning. My kids really liked the characters in the BWI lobby.

:D

I wish we had the chance for character caravan. We slept in every morning and missed it! I won't miss the EMH though!:D

I miss the Character Caravan. I used to be a Monorail Pilot, and I was stationed out of the Grand Floridian station. I remember every morning before I went to break, I'd hear the bus drive up, and the music playing... It just so happened that my break time always coincided with the characters break time, so I'd always see Pluto, Minnie, Captain Hook, and Mr Smee during breakfast. Now of course, Pluto is a friend of mine, and he and I got talking...

One morning, I borrowed him from the Caravan, and he took a ride with me and some guests up in the front of the Monorail.

Although EE/EMH is great, so was the CC. I'm not sure whether it's fortunate, or unfortunate, but many guests really overlooked the CC... which, in turn, caused many personal moments with the characters and guests.

In the end, each of the parks did beef up the characters visiting the parks... however, it's still no where near the personal interaction that they had at the resort.

Originally posted by >>^..^<<
Hi there.. what a great story about Pluto on the Monorail... thanx for sharing it with us!

A picture collage

monorailpluto.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter