Changing a Package... what rates are used?

LeeAnn

DIS Veteran
Booked the Bounce Back Offer in August 2018 for our August 2019 trip. Unfortunately a few things have come up and need to make a few changes. Money is one issue so looking to cut the trip shorter and save in some ways. Another is the availability for DH to join us.

Since it was booked in 2018, it was 2018 rates. Then prices went up. So when making changes, what rates will be used? I hoping the rates of my package.

1.) Looking to shorten trip 1-2 days. So trying figure out the rate for YC and how much that would save me. Beginning of the trip, Friday and the end of the trip, Sunday. Or just one of these days.

2.) Booked the 10 day full tix, not sure how many days I really need yet so is based on last years prices?

3.) Then I will not use the water park feature so how much will take save per person.
How much extra was that feature?

4.) If DH can't make it, can his tix be used at later time. I think some changes were made.

I want to figure the cost and I don't want to call WDW till I figure out our best savings to make this trip happen.

If based on last year's prices, does anyone have the prices so I may do the calculations.

Thanks.

Depends.
It's possible to keep the package you booked under if the dates you are changing to, and the resort you are changing to, are available under the original package offer.

I know I can keep the package. I just want to make changes to it.

I'm trying figure out the cost of each component so I can make the right decision on what I should change.

I should have priced out each part before the price changes but never had a chance before the price increase. In the past the prices remained for the time you booked your package. But with all the changes I just wanted to confirm.

I also would like 2018 prices for I can make those calculations. Thanks.

***Please disregard this info. It's only applicable when changing promos, not when modifying a promo and keeping most of the dates the same. Please see the post that follow.***

This is a good question. My understanding is that when you change a package, it automatically updates to the current room and ticket rates, it doesn't keep the 2018 ticket and room rates, but rather updates it to the current 2019 ones. Which is why when the Late summer discounts dropped, many of us when we went to modify with the new discount, we either saw just a small discount and some didn't see a discount at all.

So, trying to find out the 2018 rates may be a complete moot point. You can just compare your reservation price to the current price of the package that you would like to change to. Then, if it's a percentage off bounceback, take the appropriate discount. If it's a FD BB, just take off the dining plan off.

When you call, they will tell you *if* there is availability to change your reservation, and if there is, they should be able to price out the new reservation and then you can make a decision if it saves enough. With a deluxe and such lengthy tickets, my guess is that it will save you substantially to reduce your stay and tickets, even with the change to 2019 rates (again, *if* they is availability under your bounceback promo for your new dates). I hope that makes sense, and let us know how it goes.

P.S. to add - I think you may be thinking of DCL, which keeps the rates based on when you book? My understanding is that WDW automatically updates to the current rates when you modify a reservation. But, let us know.

Last edited:
This is a good question. My understanding is that when you change a package, it automatically updates to the current room and ticket rates, it doesn't keep the 2018 ticket and room rates, but rather updates it to the current 2019 ones. Which is why when the Late summer discounts dropped, many of us when we went to modify with the new discount, we either saw just a small discount and some didn't see a discount at all.

So, trying to find out the 2018 rates may be a complete moot point. You can just compare your reservation price to the current price of the package that you would like to change to. Then, if it's a percentage off bounceback, take the appropriate discount. If it's a FD BB, just take off the dining plan off.

When you call, they will tell you *if* there is availability to change your reservation, and if there is, they should be able to price out the new reservation and then you can make a decision if it saves enough. With a deluxe and such lengthy tickets, my guess is that it will save you substantially to reduce your stay and tickets, even with the change to 2019 rates (again, *if* they is availability under your bounceback promo for your new dates). I hope that makes sense, and let us know how it goes.

P.S. to add - I think you may be thinking of DCL, which keeps the rates based on when you book? My understanding is that WDW automatically updates to the current rates when you modify a reservation. But, let us know.
No the regular resorts definitely keep the same rates as the promo booked provided there is still availability under the promo and your new trip fits the parameters. I've made changes many times

Serial reservation tweaker here, and usually keep all of my notes...

I don’t know what type of BB you booked, but I moved our BB FD from early Dec to Christmas week, so perhaps I can help.

1) If I wanted to shorten or retain our original dates, they would adjust by using the original booked rate, not the current rate. If I wanted to extend or completely move dates, the new days become current rate. Our tickets remained the same type/price either way.

2 & 3) For FD, we were required to purchase PH, so our 10 day PH came to $555.21 each, tax included (these are pre-Oct 2018 date-based tickets).

The ticket options back then were: single tickets, PH, and PH Plus (included water parks). For PH Plus add $25 + tax to the PH cost above.

As far as modifying them, I can’t answer that. We didn’t want them switched to date-based. Keeping the original MYW tickets during Christmas was a ton cheaper than the date-based.

4) I believe you have until the end of December 2019 to use the ticket as is. After that, you are able to apply the value to another ticket. However, where the ticket goes - I have no idea. Does it remain or disappear in MDE? My experience, Disney isn’t the best about breaking down the prices of package tickets...and sometimes they get undervalued. If you plan to keep *any* package tickets, definitely make a stop at GR to find out the value of them.

For me, everything priced out perfectly. You are smart to know your numbers prior to calling.

A couple of important tips - use the BB line ‭407-939-1923‬. Also, if the CM happens to price it incorrectly, just hang up and call back.

HTH

Last edited:

Serial reservation tweaker here, and usually keep all of my notes...

I don’t know what type of BB you booked, but I moved our BB FD from early Dec to Christmas week, so perhaps I can help.

1) If I wanted to shorten or extend our original dates, they would adjust by using the original booked rate, not the current rate. If I wanted to completely move dates, I had to pay the current rate. Our tickets remained the same type/price either way.

2 & 3) For FD, we were required to purchase PH, so our 10 day PH came to $555.21 each, tax included (these are pre-Oct 2018 date-based tickets).

The ticket options back then were: single tickets, PH, and PH Plus (included water parks). For PH Plus add $25 + tax to the PH cost above.

As far as modifying them, I can’t answer that. We didn’t want them switched to date-based. Keeping the original tickets during Christmas was a ton cheaper than the date-based.

4) I believe you have until the end of December 2019 to use the ticket as is. After that, you are able to apply the value to another ticket. However, where the ticket goes - I have no idea. Does it remain or disappear in MDE? My experience, Disney isn’t the best about breaking down the prices of package tickets...and sometimes they get undervalued. If you plan to keep *any* package tickets, definitely make a stop at GR to find out the value of them.

For me, everything priced out perfectly. You are smart to know your numbers prior to calling.

A couple of important tips - use the BB line ‭407-939-1923‬. Also, if the CM happens to price it incorrectly, just hang up and call back.

HTH
Good info and good explanation. Thank you! You are right, I think the rate changes only apply when changing promos or changing dates completely.

Last edited:
Good info and good explanation. Thank you! You are right, I think the rate changes only apply when changing promos or changing dates completely.

Thank you! I had to fix #1. All of the tweaking can get confusing sometimes...

If I wanted to shorten or retain our original dates, they would adjust by using the original booked rate. Retain for situations where you need to convert a discounted room-only into a package.

If I wanted to extend or completely move dates, the new days become current rate, which could go either up or down. In our case, Christmas week, way up! :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter