Changes at DVC-That Matter-Part 2

RamVA

Mouseketeer
THE 2 most important considerations for me when we made this decision in 1992, were could they keep raising the amount of points it took to stay at our resort for the same amount of time, thereby requiring that we keep adding to our initial investment, and would our dues consistently rise year after year, making the investment too costly to maintain and keep.

We all know they can't change the basic value of the points--if they raise one place, they have to lower another. You will NEVER have to buy more points to enjoy the same vacation--(They didn't warn that you'd want to buy more points to have more vacations though!!) I have been a member since June of 1992--my dues are almost exactly, EXACTLY what they were from the very beginning. If there is a variance, it is somewhere around $1 per month-it is so minimal I can't really tell you! I think it went up, and I think it went back down.

This is what we bought--a way to vacation at Disney World EVERY year at a luxiurious resort, without having to worry that inflation and price increases would price us right out of the vacation market. If I had to pay cash every year for moderate or deluxe accommodations to accommodate my family, I COULD NOT GO!!

The Park Passes were a GIFT! I felt honored that as an "early" buyer taking a chance on an unproven product, I was given this perk as a reward. Would I like free passes forever? Sure! Would I like a better discount deal? Of course! But we knew it was finite--they are not "taking" anything away--They stopped "giving" something out!

It was always clear that using your points to trade at other resorts, although an option, was DEFINITIVELY NOT the best way to utilize your points! It was, and still is, an OPTION if you feel like splurging and staying somewhere else on property. Now that we have so many other options--2 of which are really "hotel resorts", and one more coming soon, we can experience other "themes" for comparable point costs!

Yeah, the peach towels were nice, the peach sheets, the extra decorations.......no way does the loss of those amenities even come close to devaluing the product I bought.

Sorry again for my long rant!! Just my Honest Opinion! :wave:

Thank you, Ruthie - I couldn't have said it better myself! We never bought DVC with the intention of using the hotels. It's nice to know the option is there, but hotels always cost more points. Why would I want to stay in a hotel room for more points when I can stay at OKW, EVEN in a studio, and have more room, and the peace and quiet and tranquility of OKW. I know it's not for everyone (peace & quiet), but it's what we like about OKW. To each his own I guess!:earsgirl: :wave:

Good job Ruthie! we haven't been members as long as you. we're idiots who said no in 93 and waited a few years for bwv. there never was any question that the "best" use of points was the dvc resorts. i'm sorry if others were mislead, but it is hard to go back to a deluxe room after having a 1br or larger unit.

RamVa:
I also took note that the points could not be added to without deducting somewhere else. A big selling point. I liked the flexability, which was outstanding compared to red, white, and blue weeks that was all timeshares offered (as far as I know) when I bought in 1994. The free passes removed all doubt (well, most doubt) about our decision to invest.

I say invest, not in the financial meaning, but in having a place my whole family loves to plan for and go to and hates to leave.

I always try to keep in mind that many of the benefits are extras that could disappear. If all I had left was the right to stay at a DVC resort, I can take that.

I think there is one consideration with regard to points. While there can't be a dramatic change, they could change the distribution. Many members complain about the high weekend points. On the point chart there is a total which is for the week ( a 7 night stay). If enough members constantly objected or boycotted weekends, the points could be evened out which would then incease the weekday points and effect some vacation habits.

I agree with Ruthie but I have used points to stay at the Poly and the Grand Floridian. I checked the rack rates for the GF and even on points, it is so much cheaper than paying cash. I bought in 92 also and considering both the "comfort" factor and the "investment" factor, I've taken longer and more frequent vacations on points than I probably would have been able to afford otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter