Chances of renting points for Riviera in October 2020?

R&RsMom

Mouseketeer
I’m an infrequent poster, but long-time lurker and experienced WDW visitor. We are in the early stages of planning a WDW trip for October 2020, and specifically 5 nights in the week that includes Columbus Day. I know this is peak DVC use time, but we are locked into grandkids fall break. Travelers are me, older DD, her DH, their DS and DD (teenagers), my younger DD, and her DH. So we need 3 sleeping areas, and older DD needs separate sleeping surfaces for her 2 kids. The two-bedroom lock-off at Riviera would be perfect for us, and cost of renting points looks to be about same as three rooms at a moderate.

So, my questions: how likely is it that I will find a Riviera owner at 11 months, even working through something like David’s, with enough points and who wants to rent? And if I needed to wait till 7 months out, how likely is it that I would be successful then?

Considering this is a new resort with not all DVC inventory released, limitations on resale owners being able to stay here, and the very active fall DVC season, just trying to understand if trying for this is even a good idea.

Note: We have some flexibility within our week: Looking at that week and the two adjoining weekends, we need 5 nights for Disney, and 1 night/2 days for Universal.

I would think it would all but impossible. Oct is very hard for ANY DVC resort.
Thanks. That’s what I was suspecting. We could also make dedicated 2 bedrooms at AKL Kidani or BLT work, bed wise. Or we go straight rooms for cash.

Im not sure about a availability, but I would think you may have to wait until 7 months since RIV owners are new and most likely using their points.

I hope to book there in September 2020 at 7 months.

Good luck.

I had been thinking that, if had just bought into Riviera, I would be staying there. I will keep watching to see if points are offered to rent as we get closer in than now.

It will be nearly impossible. No one with home resort will be renting in any volume, and everyone else will be scrambling at 7 months for whatever is available.

And anyone WITH points to rent won't be charging standard rate. I'd expect to pay a Riviera owner $20pp or more. They won't be using brokers.

I've already seen one person renting Riviera points privately on a Facebook group. Over 200 pts @ 19PP which I thought was very reasonable.

Thanks for the additional insights. I think I will keep watching the Rent/Trade board but plan on this not being a likely option. I do think $19 PP is reasonable as well.

Yes, but wouldn't the $19 only hold true 11-8 months? From 7-0 months, all points are equal.

Honestly, with your size of party it sounds like a 2 bedroom would be super crowded, especially since it's all adult sized guests. If it were me, I'd be looking into renting a grand villa (3 Bedroom) at SSR or OKW, which would be essentially the same cost / points as a 2 bed. at Riviera. And double the space!

I did think about crowding; I think where it could get squishy is in what would be my older daughter’s room. They would have 2 in the queen, 1 on the sofa, grandson on the pull-down twin. Grandson is 12 and not tall so I think it would work, especially since this is a real twin. In the past, we have done multiple rooms at CSR with the addition of a roll-away in that room. (They are the one mod that still does them.) i don’t think this would be more crowded. I did think about OKW and less about SSR but locations are not what we would prefer; my experience with Disney busses heading from that area is not good. We do not want to rent a car. It is, however, another thing for me to think about.

Yes, but wouldn't the $19 only hold true 11-8 months? From 7-0 months, all points are equal.
If I were going to try to snipe a 7-month booking for a renter, I'd still charge premium. I'd need to be online at 7:55 and ready to rumble.

You also won't get this level of timing or prep via an agency. People who rent points via an agency know that their payout will be the same, so aren't going to go to that extreme or pick up hard-to-gets when the pay's the same for easy bookings.

I know the agencies charge more for bookings outside the 7 month window, but had not seen that on the rent/trade boards here. Seems to me often the pp rates vary more by home resort (how much an owner’s market it is) and maybe how important it is to the owner to rent out the points? I had not considered the owner working through an agency would not be doing whatever necessary ( e.g., be online at 7:55) to book the reservation.

I’m an infrequent poster, but long-time lurker and experienced WDW visitor. We are in the early stages of planning a WDW trip for October 2020, and specifically 5 nights in the week that includes Columbus Day. I know this is peak DVC use time, but we are locked into grandkids fall break. Travelers are me, older DD, her DH, their DS and DD (teenagers), my younger DD, and her DH. So we need 3 sleeping areas, and older DD needs separate sleeping surfaces for her 2 kids. The two-bedroom lock-off at Riviera would be perfect for us, and cost of renting points looks to be about same as three rooms at a moderate.

So, my questions: how likely is it that I will find a Riviera owner at 11 months, even working through something like David’s, with enough points and who wants to rent? And if I needed to wait till 7 months out, how likely is it that I would be successful then?

Considering this is a new resort with not all DVC inventory released, limitations on resale owners being able to stay here, and the very active fall DVC season, just trying to understand if trying for this is even a good idea.

Note: We have some flexibility within our week: Looking at that week and the two adjoining weekends, we need 5 nights for Disney, and 1 night/2 days for Universal.

Just my guesses but I think you'll find some people renting Riviera by then or working with a broker. It won't be a lot yet so you'd want to line something up even before 11 months if possible.

As to a 7 month booking - that time is so popular that even if there happened to be rooms still available it will likely be very fought over at 7 months to book.

And picking a backup is always a good thing.

Thank you. I will keep watching and see if there is an opportunity to line something up so it’s ready to go at 11 months. And will have backups in DVC and regular resort rooms. Our go-to resort would be 3 rooms at CSR.

I looked at the point chart and 5 nights equals about 260 points or so for a 2 bedroom. That’s a lot of RIV points to rent out. I think finding someone to rent points will be a challenge. If they rent out a 1/3 of their points to cover maintenance they would need a large contract. 750 point contract. I don’t think someone who bought a contract that large would need to rent it out. Maybe someone who bought it wants to recoup some of their money early on.

An option would be to book another resort and ask the owner to create a waitlist for Riviera. Since Disney will do over the next few months more declarations, it's very possible that a waitlist would match. But of course you would need to be happy to stay at the fallback resort in case it doesn't.
Brokers won't do this for you, so you should find a renter here on the board (I did this last year for one of my rentals and the waitlist for AKV matched, but it was a booking in April, not during peak season).

Just a friendly warning. Now that you have put your intentions out there, you may be contacted by people offering to rent to you. Ignore them. Scammers will attempt to lure renters in with lowball pricing and hard to get reservations. You should only deal with those whom you contacted first thru their ad on the Rent/Trade board, or else go thru a broker. And read up on how to protect yourself when going thru a private rental. Scams don’t happen often but there were two very recent attempts to cheat renters out of their hard-earned money. Do your due diligence to minimize your risk!

PLEASE READ! POSSIBLE SCAM ALERT!

Last edited:
Just a friendly warning. Now that you have put your intentions out there, you may be contacted by people offering to rent to you. Ignore them. Scammers will attempt to lure renters in with lowball pricing and hard to get reservations. You should only deal with those whom you contacted first thru their ad on the Rent/Trade board, or else go thru a broker. And read up on how to protect yourself when going thru a private rental. Scams don’t happen often but there were two very recent attempts to cheat renters out of their hard-earned money. Do your due diligence to minimize your risk!

PLEASE READ! POSSIBLE SCAM ALERT!
Cannot emphasize this enough. More than one internet board is having trouble with scammers. They contact posters who have expressed an interest in renting privately, via PM / Conversation. Some of them are even sending posters reservations by copying and pasting reservations that they managed to scam from a legitimate owner.

If you do NOT initiate the contact, you run a greater risk of being scammed! This is the number one reason the DIS does not allow "wanted" ads on the R/T Board. It makes it easy for the scammers to take advantage of you..

PLEASE! Go through the DIS R/T Board or one of the reputable brokers. Read the pinned threads at the top of the R/T Board for more information on renting. Come ask your process questions on the DVC-Member Services Board.

Thank you for the heads up. I did read the thread about scammers so am warned. In any case, it is now a moot point — my daughters nixed the idea of me on the Murphy in the living room, which is how the beds would work, so we are doing 3 rooms at Coronado. I’ll explore renting again for my next solo trip, which is quite a ways out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!