Chances of Getting EVC

southjerseymom

DIS Veteran
Hi! I am hoping to convince my 78 yo mom to come to Disney with us this February. We will only be in the parks for 3 days (Fri/Sat/Sun) after a Disney cruise (yeah). If I can convince her to go - what are the chances there will be an EVC at the parks? We are not get up at the crack of dawn people so we will probably not get to the parks until mid morning. I know the EVC's are not guaranteed....but attendance by adults should be fairly low (cheerleader weekend - ugh!)....anybody have any experience at our chances of getting an EVC under these conditions? PS how hard are they to drive?

Welcome to disABILTIES. Almost all of us here either have physical problems and/or close family members with problems and we like to help others.

I you click on "disABILITIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the index. Abouth the 5th thread down is the "disABILITIES FAQ". It will answer a lot of your questions about ECVs. Note that we tend to recommend rental from off-site. All (except Randy's) will deliver it to your hotel so it is there before your arrival and pick it up after you have left. Their prices are better than Disney's and the ECVs are much more maneuverable than Disney's. Also, look at my response to your earlier post which was moved here from another forum.

Mike

Cheshire Figment said:
All (except Randy's) will deliver it to your hotel so it is there before your arrival and pick it up after you have left.
I just wanted to clarify - Randy's will deliver and pick up, but you need to be there. That might be an advantage for someone who has not used one before, since they can get an explanation of everything.

It's really hard to say how many ecvs you will find to rent in the parks. Some people with disabilities come to WDW when the parks are not busy, so sometimes there is more demand when it's slower.

Personally I would rent an ECV from an off site medical equipment supplier. When I first started using an ECV, I rented from Disney. It was fine as long as:

* an ECV was available; I ran into no availablility problems in early December one year, again early in the morning on Mother's Day & even one Thursday last January;

* you do not want to park hop; I don't know if this has changed or not, but ECVs were not guaranteed to be available at another park if you park hop;

* the ECV ran; I can tell you where in each park a Disney ECV "died" & I had to have a CM call for another one.

I wanted to say that when we were at WDW the last 2 weeks of July, the parks were busier than I've ever seen them but it seems like there were always a few ECV's available. But if DM needs one all the time you would probably need to rent one off site since you have to leave these at the parks. The Disney ones are $40.00 per day.

I have been there days when the wasn't even a wheelchair available let alone and ECV. If it will affect your trip not to have one definatel;y rent from offsite. They are also nicer, lighter and easier to manuever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter